1987 328 GTS # 66865 - Redone interior - Blu Chiaro / Crema | Page 5 | FerrariChat

1987 328 GTS # 66865 - Redone interior - Blu Chiaro / Crema

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Chiaro_Slag, Dec 7, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #101 Chiaro_Slag, Feb 26, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Superb depiction of the process, and an outstanding final result. Great job Slag. Something like this should be put into the FAQ.

3. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Thanks Ghost - I really like looking at these kinds of projects - And given that I am definitely the furthest thing from a mechanic, it shows just about anyone can do it! But I have always liked taking things apart & putting them back together. :)

4. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Where can we see more pics of your fine lady. Also, noticed that the seats, while beautiful, are a lot lighter than the originals. Was this intentional? Even with the potential for a lighter color attracting/showing dirt a little more clearly than a darker color?

5. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #105 Chiaro_Slag, Feb 26, 2004
    The original color was 20 years old & much darker than crema should be - See attached pic of Barchetta. Mine turned out a little lighter than this Barchetta pic - I love the result though! The seats do need a little extra TLC being that light.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Slag, did you take the center floor counsol out, or just remove the top of it?

What was it contruction like? (just some boards around a basic square frame? Thanks!

PS Can't wait until I get those measurements! :)

7. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    If you go back and look at all the pics, there should be some of the entire console removed. :)

I'll get those measurements shortly.

8. LRPMAN

LRPMAN Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Aiken S.C. & FL.
    Full Name:
    George Pavlisko
    Jerry, The car looks GREAT and you did yourself proud. That is a 1st class restoration. Our products are only as good as the people who use them. The greatest technical advance is wasted if done by people who do not take time a pride in there effort. Yours shows the pride and the effort! Again VERY WELL DONE!
    Takes Care
    George P.

9. DEI

DEI Karting

Mar 21, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Dave I
    Great job!

Please post some pics of the whole car as I'm considering buying one the same colour. What does the Blue / Creme look in the "flesh"?

Do you also k now how many were made this colour?

10. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #110 Chiaro_Slag, Mar 29, 2004
  11. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Quite amazing difference before and after, my tan interior is a bit tired on the drivers seat, so I am thinking of doing all the leather like you did to be sure I get a match. Can you tell me what you used to strip the dye ? was it just a regular paint stripper that you can get at the hardware store for stripping furniture etc. or something special. Is there any danger to the leather when using the stripper chemicals ?

12. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    After reading articles on the subject, I used laquer thinner that I got from Home Depot. A lot of it actually! Make sure to get a good mask as the fumes are tough. The leather was nice after stripping the dye off - I didn't see any harm done to it at all.

13. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Do you remember what the brand name was ?

14. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #114 Chiaro_Slag, Mar 29, 2004
    You can see the can in this pic to the left of the iron :
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. cinquevalvole

cinquevalvole Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Germany, Bayern
    Hi Slag,

wow, your Blu Chiaro 328 would be a great reference car in the "colour thread": http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12419
    Try to post the 512BB as well :)

feel free

cinquevalvole

16. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I've been meaning to. I'm just lazy. :(

The 512BB is not mine, so I do not have its info, but I do know that it is blu chiaro also.

I love the color of your 355!

17. h00kem

h00kem Guest

Dec 15, 2004
    Texas
    Wonderful job! I am in process of going the same on my 328 GTB. Tackled the consol removal this weekend. Very tedious but successful. Highly recommend others read this and other experiences with it before doing so. Watch out for the pesky AC control line!

One question. I am not recovering the rear self but I am putting in new carpet. Is it necessary to remove the back shelf to replace the carpet on the back wall or is it possible to loosed it enough by taking out the center clip to allow for sliding the carpet under the shelf?

I haven't looked a the center clip. Any tricks to removing it?