575 Newbie | FerrariChat

575 Newbie

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by ILLUFA, Mar 2, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ILLUFA

ILLUFA Karting

Jul 27, 2006
    Indo
    Full Name:
    H
    Dear guys,

After reading a lot of everyone's postings, I have finally plunked down for a used 2005 575M. It has 2,800mi on it. Since this is my very first Ferrari, I would like to know how is the service intervals on this car? Should I change the timing belts now that its more than 3 years old? Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    I'm surprised that in all your reading of other posts the service interval has not been mentioned

The belt change is a function of the history being supplied with the car

It should (I think) have been done last year - if it has not then the best principle is to do it immediately for your own peace of mind and so that you know exactly when and where your personal service history starts

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #3 tazandjan, Mar 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Taz, do you know if there was a previous tech bulletin regarding a specific pronouncement for 550's, (m.y. 2001 specifically), or if this TB also refers to 550's of any date?

TIA,
    Tritone

5. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    James- If it is a 550, use the latest belt, but change it every three years. The changeover point was right at the beginning of 575M production, as far as I know. No idea why the time is extended for the 575Ms. Maybe one of the pros knows.

Look at your assembly number just in front of the engine compartment on the center right. If the assembly number is less than the one in the tech bulletin, recommended change interval is three years.

So far I have only collected 575M related tech bulletins. There is probably someone out there who collects 550 bulletins, as well, just not me.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

6. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Taz
    good question

7. ILLUFA

ILLUFA Karting

Jul 27, 2006
    Indo
    Full Name:
    H
    Thanks for your help. Wouldn't have known that bulletin if not for you. Drove the Maranello last night. It was fast alright. And easy to drive with the F1. But summing it up....a bit anticlimatic. My other "exotic" cars experience had been mid engine. So the whole 575 experience had thus fur felt like a very fast 911. Nevertheless, I'm the least bit disappointed. Especially when I look at the car while stationary. It is very, very handsome. IMHO. Thanks guys.

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    ILLUFA- It is definitely better looking than any 911 in my opinion, having owned a couple of 911s, and you will not see a Maranello very often. Not the case with 911s, which are very fine cars, but fairly common. Most people cannot tell a 1969 912 with 911S wheels from a 911 TT unless they are sitting next to each other.

When you get a bit more familiar with the 575M, try some cornering while adding throttle. It steers very nicely with the throttle and is very controllable without the tendancy to bite you like a 911 if you let off on the throttle. Kind of rough on tires, but great fun. Can be done with ASR still engaged in Sport mode.

Taz
    Terry Phillips