The Official "Rendezvous" (C'était un rendez-vous) Thread | Page 26 | FerrariChat

The Official "Rendezvous" (C'était un rendez-vous) Thread

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ArtS, Nov 14, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bianco

Bianco Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    A Ferrari 275 GTB piloted by a professional Formula 1 racer drove through Paris at breakneck speed in August of 1978. French filmmaker Claude Lelouch mounted a gyro-stabilized 35mm movie camera to the bumper. The course was from Porte Dauphine, through the Louvre, to the Basilica of Sacre Coeur.

No streets were closed, and the Ferrari completed the course in just over 9 minutes, reaching speeds of nearly 140 mph. He ran red lights and drove the wrong way up one-way streets narrowly avoiding cars and pedestrians.

Upon showing the film in public for the first time, Lelouch was arrested. He never revealed the identity of the driver, and the film went underground. There are no special effects here! The film is just over 9 minutes long. Turn up the volume, fasten your seatbelt, and wait for the ending...

2. Highlow

Highlow F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2006
    Sac
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    I do wish the video showed the car but what an awesome noise, thanks for sharing.

3. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    I'm sure most of us here have seen this video countless times, always nice to watch it again though. I think the car was determined to be a Mercedes 600 rather than a 275 GTB. Further, I was under the impression that the car was driven by the filmmaker himself?

4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Unfortunately Lelouch used a Mercedes 6.9 and dubbed the film with a ferrari V12.

5. Davpuxitri

Davpuxitri Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2007
    Epic film with a long tale associated..

Some (a lot) say it's a Mercedes SL

6. Bianco

Bianco Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I never heard it was a Mercedes. Are you sure that isn't just a rumor propagated by an envious Mercedes owner? It's hard to imagine that a Mercedes would sound anything like that!!!

7. Bianco

Bianco Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    One thing you that you cannot dispute is that it is one helluva driving feat - and none of it was faked or edited in any way! That is one long continuous shot at breakneck speed that did not use any special effects of any kind!

8. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
    If it's a Ferrari it's rather slow in accleration.

9. JH

JH F1 Veteran

Nov 14, 2002
    Odense, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Jonas H.
    Yes, it was a Mercedes. This video has been posted here more than a million times, and have been discussed to death just as many times. There's been pictures posted of behind the scenes of the movie, where it's clearly seen that its a Mercedes. Repost x100billion.

10. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    can i just say-repost. and in error.

11. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    #636 amenasce, Mar 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is the benz. Google Mercedes 450 6.9l . It was the grand daddy to all those fast AMG you see today.

wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_450SEL_6.9
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
  13. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    #638 bushwhacker, Mar 11, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
    Oh yeah !,Thanks for sharing. It is such an amazing piece of film, especially for the time. I had forgot how exciting it is........what an adrenalin rush!!!!!!!!!:D It was a Mercedes though.

14. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    The movie is available as on DVD but it has never been the same after finding out it was a Mercedes with a dubbing job. From a prior F-chat thread there was a link to a website that detailed the dubbing cuts.

Jeff

15. bigdog68

bigdog68 Karting

Jul 8, 2008
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Sean Fowler
    and the Oscar for sound goes to...

If that was really a Merc then the sound dubbing was brilliant.

I was in Paris just a few weeks ago and I am really envious of this film, now you can't go much faster then 10 on some of these streets due to traffic at all hours of the day, however I did see a Red Enzo being chased by a blue 575 going around the Arc!

16. Bianco

Bianco Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Man you guys burst my bubble! Not only is it a repost (although some people evidently never saw it), it's also not a Ferrari! Oh well, it's still a brilliant piece of driving!

17. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    In 2003 I worked at a automotive design studio in LA and the Nissan team did a knock off of 'Rendezvous' called 'The Run'. It was for the introduction of the new 350Z and a DVD was created which featured 'The Run'. I know it's on U-Tube, FYI.

18. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Watch it with the volume muted. It changes everything and all of a sudden becomes a normal sedate drive.
    I've heard that the car was not speeding through the city, but with the over dub of the motor it give the illusion that it is speeding.

19. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0169173/trivia

A clue that it is not a pro is how much he lets the car's weight take him straight on as he arrives place de la Concorde: a pro would have known to brake earlier due to the heavy weight of the car, equipment and passengers.
    Still a great piece and oh so wonderfully politically incorrect:)

20. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    It was really going fast, trust me, I lived 10 years in Paris and you could not dream of doing that nowadays: observe the pedestrians and the movement of everything else. One taxi does go pretty fast too which can be misleading.

21. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Actually, I submit that it was mediocre. If you *listen* to the video, you'll note that it's the same tire screeching sounds over and over again.

Nembo - he's going 'fast' considering the traffic density, but he's not really driving that fast overall.

Bushwacker -I think they were also inspired by the Getaway in Stockholm videos. Now, those are some crazy driving clips.

22. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    I completely agree. If you pick it apart frame by frame, it's not really great. Of course, by the standards of its time, it looks thrilling. Today, we have such incredible CG capabilities as to make this film even less than can be created on your Mac.

Reality aside....it's still pretty cool, if you watch it early in the morning, and let your imagination loose......

23. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    The film looks as if it was sped up slightly to exaggerate the speed. Wasn't there a documentary about this? Still, always fun to watch no matter how many times you've seen it.:D

24. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    I can't speak to whether this was really a Ferrari or a Mercedes SL, but it is pretty clear that the driver is going pretty fast when you see him overtake the other cars.

The hardest part for me to imagine is Paris with so little traffic!

The disclaimer in French at the beginning says that the film is unedited. I think that overdubbing sound effects counts as editing, don't you? I'd love to know the whole story behind this film, with proof, rather than mere previous discussion, that the film was real or faked.

25. Andy348

Andy348 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Andy
    First time I've ever seen it.

Great driving, a shame that it isn't a 275 =[