"New" door sills | FerrariChat

"New" door sills

Discussion in '348/355' started by fxdwgs, Mar 10, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fxdwgs

fxdwgs Formula 3

Aug 22, 2006
    Sjobo, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Bengt
    #1 fxdwgs, Mar 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just a brief description of what was made.

The old ones were very rusty and I tried to find someone who could make me new ones.

Unfortunately they are hard to make since the outer part is made in a wide radius and not straight as one would think at first sight and on top of that thay are "u" shaped as well.

We "cleaned" (do not know the word in English) the sills with sand and cut off the rusty part.

Then we welded a 40 mm (1 1/2 inch) wide stainless steel (1mm thick) replacement.

Now next step is rustpreventive paint and on top of that a black top cote.

Then I will fit my new canadian sills........and that will be only soooooo nice.

//B//
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    I have often wondered about restoring these sills when threads come up about expensive replacements.

How hard were they to remove? Are the glued down?

3. pyroguy

pyroguy Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2006
    Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Do some searching. There are several threads on these sills.
    Great effort on your part. Do you have any before and during the restoration process?

4. fxdwgs

fxdwgs Formula 3

Aug 22, 2006
    Sjobo, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Bengt
    No problem at all getting them off. The only problem was the screws. They were so rusty there was no "+" in them any more.

However they are sitting in a plastic "nut" so they will come off easily if you just can get hold of them.

I have changed them plastic nuts to the rivet type of thread (aluminium) and then I will put stainless screws instead.

The glue you refer to is probably the rust preventive "paint" they use between the body and the sill. Maybe it was not dry when they fitted some of the sills. Mine came off just like that. They were actually loose when the screws were gone.

//B//

5. fxdwgs

fxdwgs Formula 3

Aug 22, 2006
    Sjobo, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Bengt
    Not more during than this...........sorry, but there is another thread with some photos what the sills looked like when I took them off.

Do not know how to put that thread in here but it is written by me and the reference is " Door Sills".

Hope you can find it.

//B//

6. pyroguy

pyroguy Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2006
    Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Oh I forgot to tell you. I believe the method you are referring to is "sand blasting" or "abrasive blasting" many different types of media are available to do this as you are probably aware.
    Glad your sills were only held in place by screws. I have seen photos of adhesive also used making them very difficult to remove without distorting the sills. I'm hoping mine are only screwed down as I would like to get them powder coated.

Don't forget to post pics of the sills after you finish them!

7. fxdwgs

fxdwgs Formula 3

Aug 22, 2006
    Sjobo, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Bengt
    Jamie, who sold the new "infills" want to see them also.

Rest assured there will be some photos.

//B//

8. blacksc

blacksc Karting

Feb 11, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Yes i always love seeing my beautiful work on beautiful cars. CHEERS to that

9. troy_wood

troy_wood Formula 3

Apr 28, 2007
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Full Name:
    Troy Wood
    Very nice work - are you in Ontario?

10. blacksc

blacksc Karting

Feb 11, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name: