Hirschman & Harada antenna replacement | FerrariChat

Hirschman & Harada antenna replacement

Discussion in '308/328' started by ClydeM, Mar 14, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Years ago I accidentally bent the mast on my original Hirschmann Hit Auta 8600S antenna.
    I replaced the mast fairly easily with I believe a Toyota Camry one. Darn near perfect match.

But recently, I lost the mounting base & screw while driving home. Poof, gone.
    Hitting the various vendors for used/broken antennas for parts has been fruitless.

So I read the threads & came across several folks who swore the Harada SX-11 is a drop-in replacement.

Not so.

It seems the Hirschman has two wires (+5V for up, +5V for down, case is ground)
    Although the Harada says "Case is ground" it doesn't seem so. Red+5V/Green-gnd is Down: Red-gnd/Green+5V is up.

It's been a while since I've had the center console apart. Can I easily re-write the original switch to accomodate the new Harada?

Or.....anybody have the body mounting hardware or the whole broken antenna until they want to part with? Truth be known, I'd rather keep it OEM.

Or, has anybody had reasonable success getting the mounting hardware off a newer antenna to fit the old Hirschmann?

thanks in advance,
    Clyde M

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #2 Steve Magnusson, Mar 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    By adding a DPDT relay you can use the stock switch to control the different logic of the Harada motor (If you use a different brand DPDT relay, the terminal numbers may be different, and even the Radio Shack one might have "evolved", so match the connections to the diagram for the particular DPDT relay that you use):
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    The Harada that you need to get is the semi-automatic model. I don't know if the SX-11 is the semi or not. It's what I replaced mine with in 97 and it was a direct swap. It's still in and works fine off the console switch like the factory one.

4. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    The SX-11 says it's Semi-Automatic...ie only moves when power is applied.

By mixing/matching mast components, I was able to get the original hirschmann back in.
    I'm not terribly happy about the fender/gasket match....but it'll do.
    Even got the drain tube connected into the wheel well.

Thanks all.

If someone has an old Hirschman or fender mounting hardware laying around, let me know please.
    thanks.