My 348 - should I sell it or keep it? | FerrariChat

My 348 - should I sell it or keep it?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Husker, Mar 14, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    #1 Husker, Mar 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I don't have the burning desire to drive my car every time I turn around any more. And the car is sorted - all of the challenges are gone. But it's the best Ferrari I've ever owned. It sat all winter basically, and today I started her right up and drove it a few miles. Runs flawlessly. Just turned 25,000 miles today.

But...I worry about the car sitting for long periods of time. Does that hurt the car any? Am I doing damage to it to do that?

I'm under no real financial pressure to sell her. And the market on these is in the toilet anyway. My ask price of $42K would have been the steal of a lifetime just 18 months ago.

What do I lose by keeping it a few more years? Thoughts?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

You've customized it to the point where it really suits you -- so I think you'd feel some remorse if were to sell it.

Why not just start her up and let her run once every 3 weeks. Forget about all the nonsense and debates that we've seen about what horrible damage letting a car idle can do to the car. Put mats under the tires so they don't sit on bare concrete, and run the car once every 3 weeks or month.

Just my $.02 :)

3. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Husker, you'll kick yourself over and over if you sell it now. Your 348 is a really beautiful example of the marque.....love the steering wheel, BTW! When the time is right to sell you'll know it and a new toy will have captured your eye. Spring is almost here and just think of the miles of smiles ahead.:D

4. dparker94348

dparker94348 Rookie

Mar 1, 2009
    Houston
    Full Name:
    David J. Parker
    I'm ready to pay you to keep it rather than part with it that cheap. I'm tired of having the only 348 at concours events in TX.

5. xraygun

xraygun Karting

Feb 5, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Full Name:
    Ray Henderson
    You don't want to sell that!

6. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    You and I are in the same boat, almost. I also have listed my car for sale. If it sells that's great. If not, that's okay too!
    I'd say leave it listed until summer, and if it sells then it was time for it to go.
    If not, enjoy it whenever you feel like it.
    I don't think letting the car sit for 30 days does any harm to it.
    I think the car looks great with the 355 wheels, and yellow is my second favorite color. ;)
    BT

7. laxexquis

laxexquis Karting
    BANNED

Sep 26, 2008
    With out any doubt keep it.

The value will go up, especially when this economy gets back on track.

Unless there's another Ferrari bugging you, because you could get that one for a low price which would even out you loss on your 348.

John

8. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    Sell it to me ;)

9. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    If you don't need the money, keep it. It is a fine looking example, and 5 years from now who knows...
    MB

10. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Beautiful car .... and just as an idea - sometimes the "Spark" really comes back when you got for a nice longer ride. Sometimes letting things (not just F-cars) sit takes away the excitement - they become objects without you realizing why they were so adored by you.

11. deluboz

deluboz Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2008
    Plano,Texas
    Full Name:
    John C. Lin
    I've sold my 94' 348 Spider couple months ago, Really Missed that car :( Keep the Car, You had a very Nice and Clean 348 :D

12. MaterMech

MaterMech Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2007
    Los Gatos CA
    Full Name:
    Mark Johnson
    I'm in the same boat! I bought my car before buying a house and I'm drooling over property right now. I think selling prices will go up when the economy turns around. I say keep it as I am doing with mine. A well sorted 348 for $42K and 25K miles is selling yourself short!!!

13. Bee Jay

Bee Jay Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2004
    Lompoc, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Bernard E. Jones
    Do not sell that beautiful car. Yellow is my favorite color. $42K!!!!!, is that all mine is worth now? Damn. Doesn't matter, I'm never selling, unless I trade in on a 360 or 512 Testarossa.
    Bee Jay

14. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    GOOOD LOORD! DO NOT SELL!!! Such a beautiful, well-sorted car... you'll regret it!
    Leave it in the garage with a battery tender and wait a LONG TIME, then drive it!
    It will be like a new car...

15. PKF355

PKF355 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    sOCal
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I'd say SELL IT! And this time get a real F355 instead of just those wheels....

:eek: Just kidding. ;)

You should keep it. Besides, you've got quite an unique 348 there plus it's already all sorted so just keep it and drive the **** out of it and enjoy her to the fullest. KEEP IT!!!

16. cuneo

cuneo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    Aye, she's a keeper. Just look at those LUCKY CHARMS!! Happy Saint Patrick's Day y'all.

17. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Sell it , if you have any worthy buyer. Why not pass it to someone who will appreciate her and use her in good health ...

Garage queens are not fun

18. Bee Jay

Bee Jay Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2004
    Lompoc, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Bernard E. Jones
    #18 Bee Jay, Mar 15, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
    I have an '88 Harley Softale that I bought over 20 years ago. I rode it everyday and took some long rides when it was new. Now it sits in my garage gathering dust taking up space. I thought I'd sell it when I bought my Ferrari mostly because I need space. The bike is 21 years old and only has 14K miles on it. Definitely a garage queen. Yesterday I charged the battery and waxed it and took it for a short spin. Damn I'm glad I didn't sell it. I may only enjoy it occasionally, but it sure is worth what it costs to keep it, insurance and the annual registration. I told my daughter I was selling it, and the horror in her face surprised me. Don't sell it Daddy was all she had to say. I didn't know it meant so much to her, or me. Garage queens, especially Ferraris are fun.
    Maybe not today, nor tomorow, not next week, but soon and every day for the rest of your life, you will regret it. Casablanca.
    Bee Jay

19. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    Put it up for sale for $80,000.

If someone wants to buy it at that price then sell it to hem.

Otherwise, keep it. :D

20. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

Nice car, do you live in a church? :)

RMX

21. keberhardt

keberhardt Rookie

Feb 16, 2009
    marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    kenny eberhardt
    I have in my garage the car I got when I turned 16---now I'm 45! Since I've had it, I only have time to drive it about every 4 or 5 months, enough to use up a tank of gas per year! I paid $800 for this car in 1980, and now it's worth $15-18k---quite a nice investment for hanging on to a mere Chevy for 29 years! I keep the gas loaded with STA-BIL, pump the tires up to maximum recommended pressure per the sidewall, and run a battery tender once a month, and I've had ZERO PROBLEMS with the car for 29 years! But because I only only drive it two or three times a year, every time I get in it, its like love at first sight all over again! Sort of like "deja vu, for the first time!" If you love the car, never sell it! Any body can have a nice NEW car, but its really special to have a nice OLD car, especially one that you've had a lot of fond memories with.

22. dlynes

dlynes Formula 3

Oct 16, 2004
    Augusta, Ga
    Full Name:
    Dave
    +1 !!

23. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Well, some interesting thoughts. I guess there is no reason to "give" the car away. I'll just keep it. For now. ;)

24. laudaman

laudaman Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Excellent decision! I adore the interior on your 348. Yellow is an awesome color for it. Wait until another Ferrari really catches your eye, then you will know when its time. At this moment, I would say you made an great decision. You will kick yourself thinking you tried to sell your 348 when you get that first good drive out of her this spring. I wish you many miles of happy driving!

Chris

25. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Beautiful car mate, keep it. ;);)