2009 ALMS Lime Rock race info. sought | FerrariChat

2009 ALMS Lime Rock race info. sought

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by vintageracer27, Mar 14, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vintageracer27

vintageracer27 Karting

Dec 9, 2004
    Middletown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian
    With the demise of F1 in Montreal, I am thinking of making the drive from Maryland with a small group for the ALMS race this year at Lime Rock.
    This will be my first time there.
    I would love feedback on:
    Where to stay
    When to arrive
    Where to park
    Where to watch practice, qualifying, race
    What is a must see.......what to skip
    Evening activities
    General information on how best to enjoy the weekend
    Thanks in advance!

2. MattF NYMC

MattF NYMC Formula 3

Oct 26, 2006
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matt Farah
    1) Where to Stay : The Interlaken is the standard, with everything from full homes to hotel rooms available for rent. Just book early. Or, rent an RV and stay at the track all weekend, lots of people do that too.

2) Where to Eat : The Boathouse, Woodland, and Chives are all excellent.

3) Where to Park: You can get VIP parking passes at the track when you buy your race tickets (in advance!) and if you're going to be driving exotics, the infield is generally divided up by make of car. Just get there early.

4) Where to watch: The good thing is that Lime Rock is small, and you can walk the entire length of the track in just over half an hour. The most exciting places are obvious, the esses from the hill, the downhill, and the new chicane in west bend are all great places to watch, or, on the outfield over the bridge has a great view of big bend. Point is, you can watch every corner at some point during the race if you want.

3. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Lime Rock is surrounded by rolling hills, small old towns and a handful of decent restaurants. There is ZERO nightlife outside of those restaurants and a few bars. Everything else closes by about 5:00pm. No fast-food restaurants, no movies, nothing. It's a beautiful area but it is not any kind of entertainment capital!

As for accommodations - be aware that there are no 5 star hotels. What is there is mostly small motels and bed & breakfast places and it is all OLD. If you want luxury you will be disappointed. This is not meant to be negative but I've been going to LRP for 30 years and I've stayed most everywhere in the area up to 45 minutes away.
    Not sure about it in this economy but the Interlaken used to be booked year-to-year by the same teams/people.

Some of the B&B places are nice but be aware that the other guests may be trying to get out in the morning just like you so tag-team showering is essential.

4. Kyle13

Kyle13 Karting

Jul 20, 2008
    Bedford Hills, NY
    Full Name:
    Kyle Cullam
    Staying at the Interlaken-- +1
    Arrival- early enough to grab a seat on the North Hill, maybe around 10 A.M.
    Parking- There is plenty of parking right next to the entrance driveway, and if you get in early enough you will cross a bridge for closer parking. But, parking by the driveway isn't much farther. Plus, since Lime Rock is sponsored by BMW, if you drive one there then there's V.I.P. parking.
    Spectating- there is a spot to stand/sit and watch for literally every turn of the track, and getting there takes no time at all. Plus, be friendly with one of the guys driving around in a golf cart, and you can probably hitch a ride... that's what I always do.
    Evening activities- there is a town about 20 minutes south of the Park called Millerton, which has great restaurants, a movie theater, and a bunch of countryesque shops. That's a good place to go at night.
    Eating- Boathouse +1, and the food on site really isn't bad. But as I said Millerton is a great spot.
    Hope you enjoy the weekend, it's always a blast. My name's Kyle and I'll most likely be at the Grand Prix New York vendor tent for the weekend, so drop in and say hello!

5. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    +1 on Millerton which I forgot about altogether although we went there the last time we were at Lime Rock! Had to pass through it - we were headed for the new Woodstock museum at Bethel Woods which is well worth a visit.

6. vintageracer27

vintageracer27 Karting

Dec 9, 2004
    Middletown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Great! Thank you all so much for the helpful feedback. Researching online only tells you so much and it is always best to get opinions from those who have been there.
    All of the comments are in line with my expectations as I have no delusions of Montreal nightlife.
    I am looking forward to seeing the expanded GT class of cars. Should be very cool!
    p.s. can you bring food/beer to the circuit or is it buy on premises only? Thanks.

7. Kyle13

Kyle13 Karting

Jul 20, 2008
    Bedford Hills, NY
    Full Name:
    Kyle Cullam
    You can absolutely bring beer and food. They're feeling about this is that Lime Rock park is basically a park with a racetrack in the middle. So, they're fine with camping out with RV's/ tents, bringing your own food, whatever.

8. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Also bring compact folding chairs unless you don't mind sitting on the ground or on a blanket. There are no grandstands at all but the good news is that the natural hillsides in the infield provide excellent viewing. It is an experience unlike any other major race track that I have been to.

Lime Rock is a fabulous place to watch ALMS, you can see a lot, stroll through the paddock and otherwise enjoy big time racing in a beautiful part of the state. Other hotels and inns to check out include Wake Robin (Lakeville), White Hart (Salisbury), Blackberry River Inn (Canaan). Book as early as possible if you want to stay reasonably close to the track.

9. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    #9 the_stig, Mar 17, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
    You are welcome to pack / bring a picnic basket and there are grocery stores in the area but if that's not convenient you will be happy to know that the track food is really quite good and by no means expensive.

Edit: the low style chair sometimes known as "sand" chairs are quite popular.

10. THawkbh

THawkbh Rookie

May 28, 2004
    Ridgefield, CT
    Full Name:
    Drew
    don't forget to bring some sort of bug spray. the bugs like to wander away from the stream/swamp.

make sure you drive up rt 7.