Scuderia brake problem?? | FerrariChat

Scuderia brake problem??

Discussion in '360/430' started by lung7707, Mar 8, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lung7707

lung7707 F1 World Champ

Jan 13, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Rupert 9.0
    I took my car out to Malaysia Sepang F1 track last Friday. It was a 350km drive to get to the track.
    On the way up at high speed braking I found the car's CCM brakes to be very stiff/hard and less feel than perhaps my previous CS or 430.

At the track I needed to muscle the brakes, literally stand on them before the ABS came on. It didn't feel rite... unlike other CCM brakes where if u slam on them it'll take u out thru the windshield. It just felt like it took a long time for the car to stop.

Its got nothing to do with warming up coz it was still happening after a few laps.

Anyone know if the Scud has a new brake system compared to the CS? The CS always stopped dead when you slammed on the brakes. Anyone know what could be happening?

Feedback please.

Also posted in the technical section...

2. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    I don't have an answer you. I the only thing I've noticed about my brakes is that I feel like they are "grabbing" and don't seem to be as smooth as when they were new. I'm talking about coming to a stop sign etc. At speeds above 120 mph and then coming to a full stop is not a problem. They stop on a dime with very little pressure.

3. lung7707

lung7707 F1 World Champ

Jan 13, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Rupert 9.0
    Then I have a problem...

4. MikeA

MikeA Karting

Nov 23, 2004
    Los Gatos
    Two comments I received from my dealer on my CC brakes.
    First, on the track he said I needed to warm them up before braking hard. He suggested
    a warm up lap or two with gradual braking when needed instead of threshold braking.
    Second, he also suggested that I properly seat the brake pads. I am not sure anymore
    what his exact directions were, but it involved getting up to a high speed and then braking
    hard to a stop, then letting the brakes cool a bit, and then doing it again. I think he
    suggested 5-10 such stops to get things seated.
    Hopefully this helps.
    Mike

5. Jompen

Jompen Formula Junior

May 27, 2006
    You can brake as hard as you want with cold cc brakes, however they will work better with higher tempratures.

The other advice is because of the poor economic situation, he wants more wear on your pads and discs =)

6. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    Have them looked at Lung...........you might have a master cylinder problem.

7. lung7707

lung7707 F1 World Champ

Jan 13, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Rupert 9.0
    Checked it out already... workshop says its normal.. The brake works fine at lower speeds (under 120kmh)... its over 200 that I feel there is a "problem". The problem is the workshop cannot test the car at 200kmh. :)

8. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.

I hope they are ok...........it's a very powerful car. Stay safe and I wish you safe driving.

9. superyota

superyota Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Newport Beach
    I had the same issue with my 430 spider with CC brakes. One caliper and rotor were changed under warranty at 250 miles. Imo the CC brakes need to be broken in slowly and shouldn't be tracked until the car has approx 600 miles or more. How many miles are on your car?

10. lung7707

lung7707 F1 World Champ

Jan 13, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Rupert 9.0
    5000km.
    Still don't know what the problem is.

11. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Interesting, friend of mine virtuallly ran his Scud in on the track, brakes are fine despite even racing the car. Car had 500 kms on the clock at the time...

12. superyota

superyota Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Newport Beach
    I would take it to the dealer...brakes should be spot on at 5000

13. lung7707

lung7707 F1 World Champ

Jan 13, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Rupert 9.0
    Mike your points are noted.

I think what may have happened is that when i first got my car I did not "seat" or "bed" my brake pads properly. What happens is that some parts get glazed and harden and therefore will not grab.

The workshop has taken out all the pads and sanded them to removed the glazed or burnt areas. When pads get glazed they harden and lose their gripping properties... and harden even more when the brakes are hot. Thus not able to bite.

Well? The pads are now sanded down a little. Lets see what happens over the next few days.

Thanks for all your feedback guys.

14. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Because you are such a fricking impatient Lung and wanted to "test" the brakes as soon as you got the car!!!

At Zhuhai to practice Formula Renault. Seating the new pads or rotors on my Formula is 1 lap tops!!!

16M is being shipped. Will arrive in about a month.

Take care my friend

15. lung7707

lung7707 F1 World Champ

Jan 13, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Rupert 9.0
    Thats not true!!! I waited 3 days!!! :)

16. lung7707

lung7707 F1 World Champ

Jan 13, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Rupert 9.0
    Congrats!

17. Trax

Trax Formula 3

May 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Douglas
    I don't think the brakes on my Scuderia are as good as when I first got the car (now has 3,000 miles) - and it's something that 2 other owners have also said to me

Does anyone have the figures for how fast the car should stop from say 60mph or 100mph on a dry road, so I can compare against mine?

18. iankellogg

iankellogg Rookie

Feb 5, 2009
    I think the rating on the car is about 93 feet for 60mph - 0.

19. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    The ferrari CC pads should work well straight out of the box. I've gone out in a qualifying session on brand new pads and been fine. The brakes however are sensitive to being bled properly - I like to feel like I stood on a rock, very little brake pedal movement, but all about pressure. Once you lose material on the pads a bleed/adjust helps to keep that just so feel otherwise they can feel a little softer.

20. EVONick

EVONick Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
    I thought at first the brakes were not up to par either. I had to stand on them to get the car to stop, and still it wouldn't. This was at Sears Point. Since then the brakes have been fine, biting as they should although with less easy modulatability than I like. I figured the first time out was a situation of pads not being bedded in, even though I had almost 1000 miles. I think that first track day got the temps into them they needed to get bedded, because they've been fine ever since.

21. Modena F1

Modena F1 Karting

Aug 1, 2008
    Barcelona, Spain
    Full Name:
    Josep
    I have felt the same brake problem in my 430 Scuderia. Now my car has 16k km and It does not brake well, in a enemergy brake or in a very hard brake that you need to stop the car as soon as posible.
    I have changed my original scuderia pad for the challenge brake pads and the problem is there. Also I have changed the original shell brake fluid for a Castrol Rs and tha problem has not been solved.
    I have taken the temperature in calipers and in ccm brakes and it is correct, so I have arrived to a conclusion that the problem is in the brake pump or in the abs module. When I try to make an emeergency stop from 200 km/h to 0, in a track, my ABS do not work, but also the wheels do no block. So, I think that the brake pump do no give enought brake presure to pads to stop the car, and the resoult is that you need more space to stop te scuderia than a stradale in the same speed.
    I want to know if your dealers have done a solution for the brake problems in Scuds. In my case I am still wainting for the solution.

Yours

22. lung7707

lung7707 F1 World Champ

Jan 13, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Rupert 9.0
    Symptoms are the same...
    One of the owners here in Singapore got the dealer to change his brake pump... seems to have worked.
    I did not change my pump but changed the pads. It worked the last 2 track days. I have one TD coming up next week. The pads are new again... will update.
    All fluids I use are Ferrari recommended and changed by the dealership.

23. Modena F1

Modena F1 Karting

Aug 1, 2008
    Barcelona, Spain
    Full Name:
    Josep
    What kind brake pads are you using? Scuderia or Challenge pads?

24. lung7707

lung7707 F1 World Champ

Jan 13, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Rupert 9.0
    Scuderia

25. SSR

SSR Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    I have the exact problem in the track and under heavy braking.
    My old 430 with ccb felt 100% better.

I don't understand !!!!!!!