performance and handling questions about going from Subaru STi to 355 | FerrariChat

performance and handling questions about going from Subaru STi to 355

Discussion in '348/355' started by 22B, Mar 15, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 22B

22B Rookie

Jan 3, 2009
    Hi All,
    My daily driver and occasional track car is a 2005 STi. I am looking into buying a 355. I love the way it looks and sounds. I would like to find out how the driving experience compares to my Subaru. How does the handling and track driving compare? I love my STi for commutes but the car is not as nimble as I would like on the track. Although it is boring looking, the other car I am looking at is a 04-06 GT3. I would love your opinions. Thanks

Mike

STi
    Horsepower : 300 hp @ 6000 rpm
    Torque : 300 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm
    Redline : 7000 rpm

Top speed : 152 mph
    0-60 mph : 4.7 sec.
    0-º mile : 13.2 seconds @ 104.0 mph
    60-0 braking distance : 114 ft
    200 ft skidpad : 0.90 g
    Curb Weight : 3263-3298 lbs

Horsepower 380 bhp @ 8250 rpm
    Torque 268 lb.ft @ 6000 rpm
    Max. Speed 294 km/h (184 mph)
    0-60 mph 4.6 sec

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    You're not really comparing like with like : there are 2 x 2005 options and one x 1995 option which will in some ways show its age

If you're any good as a driver on a track I'd guess the GT3 would be fastest closely followed by the Subaru with the 355 last

If you are less good the GT3 will throw you into the trees and the Subaru will disguise your lack of talent

Only one is a Ferrari

3. Mr Dobermann

Mr Dobermann Karting

Jul 31, 2005
    You can not compare a Turbocharged engine/car with the 355. Ferrari 355 doesnt have any torque at all in my opinion. If you want a car with power like yours, dont buy a 355. The 355 is a high rev-machine, witch doesnt start living until 6-7000 rpm +. In my opinion, you dont feel these 380(385) hp much at all. If you want power like your Sub, or more, then go for a Porsche 996 Turbo or GT2.

BUT................. If you want a car with a lot of feeling, awesome sound, a car that people shouts and points at when they see it - then buy a 355. Its a real beauty, with a a touch that not many cars can compare with... Its a myth...

If you want a car with good quality... Dont buy the 355. I have had apx 50-60 cars through my years, and the Ferrari 355 is definetely the worst built car that i have owned... Yep, thats the thruth.

But again... There is a myth around Ferrari, that no one can take away... And again, the sound of the high-reving engine with a proper aftermarket exhaust... just makes you leave your wife home next to the stove... L O L.

Kimmo /// Sweden.

4. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I would never replace the STi with a 355, they're totally different cars that can peacefully co-exist. I've modified the STi for a ton more power, lighter weight and improved handling. As it is today I'm way more confident in the STi at high speeds, with my mods it's just much sharper and crisper. Of course I pay for that with the daily driveability...make sure you don't have any loose fillings! Given the choice I take the 355 out every chance I get, it's just much more fun to drive - the sound, the F1 shifter, just a great experience.

5. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    Are you sure you owned a 355???

Kai

6. cuneo

cuneo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    If you haven't already done this, drive all three cars in the same day, I'm pretty sure you'll forget all about the STI and the Porker. Nothing feels like a Ferrari!

7. 22B

22B Rookie

Jan 3, 2009
    Great info guys. I am planning on keeping the STi for DD but want to add a weekend/fun car. I am looking at the 355 knowing it is not as fast as many cars nowadays. I want to have a car to both enjoy driving hard around corners and also to take my fiancee out on weekends. Driving the 3 cars on the very same day is a great idea. I just don't want to end up with a car that is not as fun to drive hard as my daily driver. From what everyone is saying, the 355 is a blast to drive. My buddy bought an exige but getting in and out of it is too much a pain for myself and passengers. It is one of the most communicative cars I have ever driven though.

8. f355jimv

f355jimv Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2008
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Really, drive the Ferrari!!!!

Nothing can compare....

9. cuneo

cuneo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    My strategy is to have a super-slow but cool DD (1986 MBZ Cosworth 2.3-16) so the Ferrari feels like a true rocketship. I now easily scare the crap out of myself in the 355, not so when I had a Posche 996 as a DD.

10. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    #10 KKSBA, Mar 16, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
    I have driven (and flown) quite a few things. And, let me tell you, with no uncertainty, I can feel the 380 HP in my 355... I suggest you get your car a service.

11. Mr Dobermann

Mr Dobermann Karting

Jul 31, 2005
    #11 Mr Dobermann, Mar 16, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
    I have also driven and gone in several really fast things. Im just realistic about the 355. Its no rocketlaunch when you floor it... Dont even try to convince me about that.

How much Torque are the 355 up for? Am i wrong here..?

By the way, i have been doing service/mainatenance work on my car over the whole winter... just because the "less good" buildmanship/quality on these cars. It DOESNT compare at all to other makes, such as Porsche for an example.

Buy a good 355 = Can make you really happy. Buy a bad 355 = It will ruin you economically, and make your thinking about Ferraris go south....

Thats it.

Kimmo /// Sweden.

12. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA | Austin |Miami
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Hard to tell if Mr.Doberman owns an F355 in real life or on his x-box.

The F355 stock for stock is superior to the STi performance wise. But a set of coilovers/pads/bolt-ons and the STi will be the better track car.

I use my F355 regularly on auto-x and track and it is great. I am considering getting an S2000 though since you can pick them up for $8,000...

My F355 has been super reliable so far with the abuse I've put it through but an unexpected repair can easily equal the cost of a Miata/S2K