What are the alternatives for the 512TR Fuel pumps? | FerrariChat

What are the alternatives for the 512TR Fuel pumps?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by silvergts1998, Mar 6, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    #1 silvergts1998, Mar 6, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
    Today my passenger side fuel pump went out. What I am wondering is this, is there a alternative fuel pump for the 512TR? I haven't dug into it, but wanted to see if I can get a head start with someone in here that dealt with this. if someone can help me locate two fuel pumps I will do a step by step pictorial on how to change out the fuel pumps in the 512TR.

Issue:
    1. Car bogged when trying to accelerate. No power.

This is what I did for reference if someone else has any issues in the future to pin point the problem.

Symptoms:
    1. Passenger side muffler was cool to the touch while the driver's side was a little hot.
    2. Exhaust on driver's side bank (7-12 was warm/hot). Bank 1-6 gas exhaust was cool and slight hint of gas which was residue from the gas that was in the rails.
    3. Took passenger's side spark plug boot out and tested it for a spark. Got a very strong spark.
    4. I swapped fuel pump relays from driver to passenger side and nothing happened. Passenger side bank (1-6) still dead. Relays are fine.
    5. Took off passenger's side fuel line from the fuel rails . Turn the car on and no fuel came out. Driver's side ran fine.

Thanks in advance for the help on the parts. I just don't feel like paying $500 plus per fuel pump. I may go with another fuel pump once I see what's in the tank.

2. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    No specific advice (looks like your diagnosis is correct) but you appear to be a resourceful guy. There might be an alternative that can be substituted if you're willing to do some research in the back room of your local parts store.

3. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    #3 silvergts1998, Mar 6, 2009
    Any idea what the 512TR pump flows? I am thinking of going Walbro since they seem to be reliable pumps from my experience. I think this is the part number for the 512TR pump from Bosch. Anyone confirm? Bosch 0580254011

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #4 tazandjan, Mar 6, 2009
    Adam- ~ $266 from rockauto.com. Do parts number search of Bosch and the part number you posted.

A little more research and they have a fuel pump for a 1992 512 TR for $280.79 when searching by car type and model.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

Taz
    Terry Phillips

5. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Yeah, it looks like they are the best deal so far. Do these pumps have an internal check valves to keep pressure up?

6. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Adam,

If the 512TR setup is like the Testarossa, the fuel pumps (2) are under a removable panel under the center of the fuel tanks. If the fuel pump is the same as a Testa, you can get it from NAPA (Bosch OEM ) for about 250.00.

If you do change the pump, check the fuel strainers in the tank before the intake side of the pump. Sometimes they get covered in debris and force the fuel pump to work harder getting hot and then burning out.

Also, source out the 14mm thick wall fuel line first. F pimp wants $200.00 " *@&#&*&& " dollars for just two small pieced of fuel line. I would love to know an alternative source for the 14mm thick wall fuel line. So far, I've found NOTHING.....checked NAPA, Discount, BMW, Volkswagen, Mercedes, Porsche, etc.....just can't find it.

I'm trying to look for just the rubber line....not the cloth covered stuff. I'm switching everything over to plain rubber....gets less dirty. No luck on the 20mm thick walled oil breather line either.

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !

7. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Also....

Before you toss the pump, check the connectors at the pump. Get the car on that wonderful hoist of yours, pull panel, start car and feel if the pump is working. At least you'll be able to check for power at the pump and see if it's a pump or power problem. ....even switch the wires to the "good" pump and see if it runs.

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !

8. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    The Testa Bosch pumps have the check valves already screwed on when you buy it.

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !

9. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Thanks Shamile.

Do you have a picture of the fuel line you are talking about (14mm)? I am sure I will be able to find something or make it. There are several ways to get the cloth feel/look that is much better than OEM on these cars. This car hasn't stumped me yet and hopefully never will. It doesn't look like too bad of a job for me to do but I hate smelling like gas! I am sure I am going to have to replace some old lines due to age.

10. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    http://www.autohausaz.com/

These guys had my bosch boxer pumps in stock. Not sure what yours looks like but they carry so much stuff they may have OEM pumps for your car. Very reasonalbe pricing too.

P.

11. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    #11 silvergts1998, Mar 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #12 tazandjan, Mar 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Looks like a real treat to change! Shoulda bought a boxer lol :)

14. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    #14 silvergts1998, Mar 7, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
    Ah! Nothing I can't do in a half afternoon on a weekend. I am not too worried about it. Just a pain in the ass. As cheap as these pumps are, I will just stick with OEM. I wonder why Ferrari just didn't go with one fuel pump and one tank? Crazy Italians!

15. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Hey Newman,

Thanks for the link....or I should say my Lamborghini thanks you. I need to replace the fuel pumps on my Lambo. Lambo wants $616.00 ea, NAPA 290.00 ea, Autohausz, 195.00. I went by the Bosch part #.....I'll have to verify for sure.

So...perhaps you'll want to trade your boxer for a Lamborghini. You'll have to buy a black silk shirt though.....gold chain comes with the tool kit. :D

Adam,

I'm trying to get away from the braid hose. I'm changing everything to standard rubber.....as is Ferrari. Let me know if you find 14mm fuel line.

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !

16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Shamile- You might check with Dave Helms on the 14 mm hose. He has been doing a lot of research on Ferrari fuel hoses and is producing superior hose replacements. Which hose(s) is the one you want to replace?

Taz
    Terry Phillips

17. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    If anyone buys anything from rock auto...here's a coupon code for 5% off 14897511275705

18. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
  19. RED 4RE

RED 4RE Karting

Jul 18, 2005
    CANADA
    Adam, got a part # for these 2 oem bosch units. My fuel pump just went also.
    Thanx.
    AW

20. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam