removing waterpump??? | FerrariChat

removing waterpump???

Discussion in '308/328' started by jbrosseau, Mar 15, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau
    my question is where is the block drain and what is the best way to access the alternator tension bolt?

2. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    The block drain is under the header pipe on the right. It can be reached either from the back of the car or through the wheelwell with the inner liner removed. You should be able to get to the alt. when the inner line is removed.

3. Joe_CT

Joe_CT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 16, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #3 Joe_CT, Mar 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Access is the easiest by removing the wheel and inner wheel liner. Access to the tensioner bolt and brain bolt are quite easy. Just be sure to make some sort of funnel to drain the block so the coolant doesn't drain down all over the Axle CV seals. This is the cheap-o one I made out of carboard... not pretty but it works
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau

it appears the alt. tension bolt is mounted up and behind the a/c unit. unless that is another.

i have the inner fender removed so where exactly am i looking to find the block drain?

also the CV joint boot is torn on the passenger side so i will need to know how to replace that,,, but that is for another thread.

5. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau
    thanks for the pic,,,

and the alt. tensioner bolt?

6. Joe_CT

Joe_CT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 16, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Block drian is right under the #1 cylinder exhaust manifold.

7. Joe_CT

Joe_CT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 16, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #7 Joe_CT, Mar 15, 2009
    Attach picture is best I have (alt is lower right)... never took a photo of just the alternator yet. I belive it is located on the right side of the alternator if my memory serves me right.

What year is your 308? You should not have to touch alternator to get the water pump and housing out. See Pic below... four bolts and it comes right out on an '83 - '85

8. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau
    its a 79'

so i guess my question is how to take tension off the belt so i can remove the pump.

if i were to take a pic now it would look just like that but with the belt still on.

9. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    There are two bolts you must loosen to remove slack from the alternator. The first bolt is the "hinge" bolt (enables the alternator to swing) and should be directly in front of you. The second is the bolt that holds / removes tension to the alternator/belt...this is the tough one, the one tucked up behind the A/C unit.

When you complete your work and its time to tension the alternator, its best to have a second set of hands to apply leverage to the alternator while you tighten down the tension bolt / nut. Hope this was helpful.

10. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #10 Steve Magnusson, Mar 15, 2009
    "C" is the "adjustment bolt" that slides in the bracket slot, but the other "hinge" bolt (not labeled) must also be loosened as Greg mentioned:

11. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau
    C is the one i was talking about.

in my years of experience i have known that the alt. has to have a bolt for loosening the tension,,,,

it was my hope that the one buried and tucked up and away was NOT the one i needed to worry about,,,

so now i need to be creative in getting to it. i do not have large hands, but i have trouble getting mine into the space. let alone with a wrench

12. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Joe the hardest thing about loosening the Alternator belt is jacking the car up and removing the wheel.:D All jokes aside its really easy to access.All you need is a 3/8 drive ratchet with a short extension and from memory a 17mm socket

13. GeoMetry

GeoMetry Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2008
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Richard
    He has a 79 so won't he will need to remove the timing belt cover to get to all the water pump bolts, unless his car has been modded?

14. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau
    yes i could see that the timing belt cover would be in the way. thats no problem to remove.

the alt. is proving to be perplexing. maybe i am just looking at things from the wrong perspective.

im just gonna start going nutty with loosening things and eventually im sure it will all just kinda fall apart :p

15. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Laying under the car looking up at bolt "C", with several extensions and a swivel socket, you can snake these extensions coming from the drivers side. Once again, loosening has never been my problem, it's the tightening part because the minimum belt deflection required...it really requires a second set of hands to be 100% sure you are tight enough.

16. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau
    well i will give things another look tonight or tomorrow.

this is defiantly one of those situations where you fuss with something for about 2 hours and when you have that EUREKA moments you find that it should have only taken about 30 seconds to figure out