Bushwhacker to illustrate your Ferrari, etc. | FerrariChat

Bushwhacker to illustrate your Ferrari, etc.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by bushwhacker, Mar 7, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    #1 bushwhacker, Mar 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Back in the 70's and 80's I did illustrations for Road & Track, Motor Trend, Sports Car Graphic, etc. I forgot how much fun it was to actually draw again until I found some of the illustrations in a box a couple weeks ago while cleaning out the storage unit. Well it inspired me to do a couple new illustrations this last week of a 12 Cyl engine, Dan Gurneys 'Eagle', which he won the Formula 1 'Belgian Grand Prix' in 1967 and fellow ferrari enthusist, 'Copterjon's 348TB.
    Well here's a few samples for review and if you would like to see additional samples they are posted in the Porsche and General automotive forums.
    If interested in getting an illustration of your car, etc. please see the ad here at FChat in 'Ferrariads' in the 'Collectibles' section.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Nice artwork.

3. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Thank you

4. CaptOharry

CaptOharry Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2009
    Green Cove Spgs FL
    Full Name:
    Harry Welch
    I'd love to have one,great art work.

5. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm
    Great idea, Dennis, and I'm glad to see you offer the service! Right now I'm spending too much on my car, but at some point, I'm sure I'll want to avail you of your artistic services!! :) Cool!! :D

6. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    #6 bushwhacker, Mar 13, 2009
  7. sumlin

sumlin Karting

Jan 12, 2009
    I'm an illustrator too and I remember some of your work from car magazines in the 1980s when I was a kid. Your stuff is still awesome - nice one!

8. stuckinkuwait

stuckinkuwait Formula Junior

Jul 25, 2004
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Lenny S
    Awesome artwork!!

9. SRT-10

SRT-10 Rookie

Dec 16, 2003
    Greater Boston
    Outstanding work!

10. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    VERY nice work mate!! :):)

11. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    #11 bushwhacker, Mar 16, 2009
  12. ferrari sulla pellicola

ferrari sulla pellicola Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2004
    Los angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard
    after the Enzo piece thats gotta be Tazio??

13. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Thanks Richard, Yup it's Tazio Giorgio Nuvolari alright but on my notes I can't find exactly what model, where and what year.. ..Italian GP? anybody know? I wish I had the great Nuvolari book. What an amazing driver and history.:D

14. LuigiVee

LuigiVee Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2007
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Volpini
    I think your drawings suck. You went out of the lines on way more than one occasion.

15. LuigiVee

LuigiVee Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2007
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Volpini
    waiting for a response Dennis! ;)

16. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis

Hey Lou, I thought you disappeared or was it me? I miss my weekend fix at Cars&Coffee / Irvine. You still have that beautiful 430? I'll PM you and we can catch up. Great to hear from you.

17. LuigiVee

LuigiVee Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2007
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Volpini
    Dennis, got your PM, I'll contact you tomorrow! I don't want to date either you or I, but I remember those illustrations! I actually cut them out and based "my" artistic style off of those! Who knew after all these years I had met the master himself and didn't even know it til now! Also, sold the F430, just bought a 308 that's been sitting for 20+ years. Running between the computer and the garage just to see if you read my post! Talk to you tomorrow my friend.

18. Axecent

Axecent Formula 3

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    John

I remember well your work from my teenage years....I read all those mags at the stores, but could only afford to buy a few. Thanks for sharing!

AXE

19. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    Dennis,

I remember seeing your illustrations in R&T. Could you elaborate on your technique, eg. media, working method, working size etc? Anything you can reveal would be great.

20. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    It looks like a Late 1940s GP car to me. The Maserati Tipo 4CL or Cisitalia Tipo D46 would be my best guess

21. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    #21 bushwhacker, Mar 17, 2009

Sure David,

I draw with an old fashioned 'Speedball' pen, usually a C-6 or B-6 nib depending on reproduction line weight. I used to use radiographs but the line weight was too consistent and they would clog up if you put them down for too long.The only time I use a 'Radiograph' now is when you need to get a tiny detail done such as faces , then a triple (000) is in order. I use regular India ink on either a smooth velum paper or hot press ( smooth ) illustration board, you need smooth so the pen flows easily over the surface and the rhythm of the stroke is not interrupted. Most drawing papers have a tendency to bleed and spot.
    This method is unforgiving, if you make a mistake you either use 'Pro' white out to correct minor mistakes or patch it with another drawing on top or just leave the screw-ups alone and they become part of the character of the drawing
    When doing color I used to use 'Dr. Martin Dyes' but they had a tendency to fade after some time, especially if exposed to sunlight. They now have a newer version that is more stable as does 'Higgens' colored india inks.
    Probably one of the most important things is not to hesitate when drawing, keep the flow going and it will look fresh not labored.
    Well David, that's kind of how I work but everyones different and develop their own styles. The most important thing is to have fun.

22. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    #22 davidgoerndt, Mar 19, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
    Dennis, thanks for the info. The old dip and draw! You are right about rapidograph pens, too consistent in line quality. I used to use a pen call graphos, which took a ink cartridge like rapidographs but you could use different tips like the Speedball pens. I 've used Dr Martin's for airbrushing illustrations and it does fade, however, I have some illustrations done nearly 30 yrs ago that are still fairly vibrant. Today, everyone seems to be keen on archival paper and inks to make sure their art lasts as long as possible! Keep on drawing!

23. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis

Wow, thanks David, I wonder if they still make that 'Graphos' system, sounds great, I'll have to check it out. The really strange thing I find about 'Speedball' pens is that you have to buy a number of the same tips until you find one that flows effortsly and doesn't scratch.
    I'm experimenting with the new Dr. Martin's system now.

24. ferrariartist

ferrariartist F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    East of Toronto
    Full Name:
    Grant Thomas
    My experience is that tech pens (rapidographs) are good for tight technical illustrations - exploded views and such - but not really made for sketching. Although i do know some that have made that work for them...
    A couple of brands of "rapidograph similar" refillable ink pens work suprisingly better for me.

My larger ink drawings i use Windsor and Newton brushes and India ink.

GT

ps Dennis, i found your inclusion in the Road & Track Art of the Automobile book. Very cool.

25. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    #25 bushwhacker, Mar 20, 2009