CV/Propshaft ? | FerrariChat

CV/Propshaft ?

Discussion in '308/328' started by jbrosseau, Mar 16, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau
    so as i was visiting with my waterpump yesterday i noticed that the inner boot on my passenger side drive shaft was split. this must have happened in the more recent months as i do not recall it being split during the summer.

anyways, what is the course in action for removal ? do i need to take apart the entire suspension or can you unbolt the allen bolts at both ends and remove it? also i plan to have a driveline shop that i deal with see about looking it over and rebuilding it with new boots and what not.

2. celestialcoop

celestialcoop Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    #2 celestialcoop, Mar 16, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
    joe,
    Help is on the way! There are several discussions on the site about this very project. If you enter "CV" in the Search mode, above, you'll find plenty of good stuff. Or, you can simply go here

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78188&highlight=cv+replacement

and strictly follow the steps in Dave's excellent tutorial, as 'amended' by those who have been there. I've applied those lessons to my 246...basically the same process...and it's been pretty painless. (If you have access to a lift, it simplifies!)

Good luck; updates are encouraged,
    Coop

3. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau
    good write up,,,

that looks easy as can be,,,,

4. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    just done both on my Mondi, wish I had read the thread first! Not that difficult a job, only drama being a couple of the allen heads rounded out so had to resort to physical violence to remove them! All good now!

5. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    maybe a tip:

if any of these allenheads or the nut on the other side giving you trouble do what i did:
    I had two which were impossible to get loose so i ended up simply cutting the nut with a dremel with a small cuttingdisk. Obviously i had to replace both bolt and nut but there are readily availeble at superperformance or eurospares.

Cutting the nut ( almost an that aply some force with a sharpe-edged metal and a hammer, the nut will easily break) with a dremel is really simple and it will save you a whole lot of trouble.

another obvious tip: replace both while your at it..

6. JimboMondial

JimboMondial Karting

Dec 26, 2005
    Portsmouth UK
    Full Name:
    Jim
    and wear disposable gloves, still finding graphite grease in weird places.