328 Wheel clearance - how wide can I go without rubbing? | FerrariChat

328 Wheel clearance - how wide can I go without rubbing?

Discussion in '308/328' started by santacaferacer, Mar 18, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. santacaferacer

santacaferacer Karting

Jan 6, 2009
    I know there are a lot of threads on wheel designs, however, I was wondering what maximum additional width can safely be added to the rim without rubbing the stock wheels wells without modifying the fenders. Stock for my car is the late 1988.5 Convex wheels (328 ABS: 7" width +38mm Front; 8" +63.5mm Rear)

I am looking at compmotives - either GTO look or BBS basket weave look which in my opinion is so appropriate for the "80s look" when many Porsches and BMWs ran that look. I'm not trying to modernize the car with larger than 16" rims, I'm just trying to go for a deeper dish race look. Black centers may help create a deeper dish illusion when dealing with the ABS type suspension and shallow rims. Going wider on the rims as long as they don't rub will also help.

2. jwtfjwtf

jwtfjwtf Karting

Oct 9, 2006
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Joshua Ferguson
    Fronts are GR/3 FK451 225 50ZR 16 and the rears are 245 45ZR 16. Nice stance, nice ride and no rubbing at all. This is on my '86 328 GTS.

Regards,

Josh

3. santacaferacer

santacaferacer Karting

Jan 6, 2009
    Got a picture?

4. santacaferacer

santacaferacer Karting

Jan 6, 2009
    What about a straight forward increase of 1 inch front and rear - does that rub? 8 up front 9 in the rear?

5. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    #5 st@ven, Mar 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. santacaferacer

santacaferacer Karting

Jan 6, 2009
    Wow - 10" up front and no rubbing when you steer? I think that verifies that I can safely go 8 and 9...maybe more.
    I don't want to sling dirt on the outside of the car so I need to keep them under the fenders. I did note that if I go too wide that there is that risk of dirt the lower fenders.

7. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    santacaferacer,
    Since you have the later 328 with a different offset and want the Compomotives, let the guy at Compomotive guide you. I have a 1989 with the following specs:

Compomotive Wheels 17x8 and 17x9
    Goodyear Eagle F1, 225/45R17 and 255/45R17

The rubbing point to avoid is the springs in the rear. Mine are almost an inch from the spring. Compomotive will do a good job of making the wheel to fit properly and making the width what you want. I wanted mine to line up with the edge of the wheel opening. See my profile picture. They will not look like the earlier 328s, as pictured by st@ven, the wheel will not have as much depth.

8. santacaferacer

santacaferacer Karting

Jan 6, 2009
    Yours look great - if I just copy those offsets I'd be happy - 100% better than the stock wheels - what did you pay for them and who did you deal with there?

9. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    I got them in 2002 directly from Compomotive. They will put you in touch with the right person who works on Ferraris. If you tell them the diameter and width on what car, they will make it right. Spend the time on the phone working out what you want since there is no one right answer. Tire size, width, where you want it to line up in relation to the body, diameter, etc. The person who I talked to actually posts on here sometimes.

When I bought mine, they were about $2500 shipped.

10. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    #10 Mule, Mar 19, 2009
  11. Burrino-72

Burrino-72 Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    Novi, MI
    Full Name:
    Igor
    #11 Burrino-72, Mar 20, 2009
  12. santacaferacer

santacaferacer Karting

Jan 6, 2009
    #12 santacaferacer, Mar 20, 2009
    I committed to the Compomotives in the same size as mules but with black centers. Decided to go a bit bold with it since my car is silver and hasenough silver to look at. I think the black centers will offset all the other black components on the car in a nice way - sort of in the Porsche Fuchs alloy way - completes to 80's look of the car and gives the illusion of more dish. I'm not trying to modernize, lighten, or improve handling of the car. I'm just making rather dull wheels more interesting for purely aesthetic reasons.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. santacaferacer

santacaferacer Karting

Jan 6, 2009
    #13 santacaferacer, Mar 20, 2009
    This guy has a similar set-up with color matched centers on his car with color matched spoilers too.

I have the convex rims and while my issue isnt that they are so much ugly but that they are rather boring. A bit more aggressive rims will do wonders to the car whether it is concave or convex. Having had several Porsches over the years I really grew to love the Fuchs alloys, especially on my 930 with it's super deep dish appeal on the rear.Todays modern cars have all but ditched the deep dish look in favor of very flush looking rims.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill

That's not a Ferrari........unless I am seeing things.

The car is too tall. You can see "through" the rear where there should be a window.

IT IS FRONT WHEEL DRIVE??!!