RX7 opinions please :) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

RX7 opinions please :)

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Mang, Nov 3, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. QT3141

QT3141 Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2006
    Sorry, but this isn't true. I've owned 2 WRXs (not STIs) - those have weaker g/b (a 5 speed) than the STI model, and they both ran more than 330hp (crank) with no issues. There was clutch wear, but the gearbox was golden. I think proper driving (rev-matching, etc.) is the most important factor. No dropped clutch launches, etc. (but this is just good sense).

The STI model (6 speed manual) is far stronger, it should be able to take 400 - 450 crank hp with no issues at all. I know many people who ran this sort of power on their daily driver cars with no worries.

The old Evo 6 speed manual trans. is even more bulletproof, but the clutch is weaker than in the Subarus.

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Did you own the classic model or the newer ones? I'm not to hot on Subaru's to start off with, but several people i know owned them and some of them had these problems, according to them other people who woned classic WRX models sometimes had the same problems. These where all in europe mind, some of them imported from japan.

:)

3. QT3141

QT3141 Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2006
    #28 QT3141, Dec 1, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
    I owned a bugeye (made 2002) and a ...well..."cockeye" (that's the local slang for it, anyway), made in 2005. The latter is actually (IMO) the best looking model - it's the one with the straight slanted headlamps, and without the "Alfa-ish" front end weirdness. Both were Euro (UK) spec models.

Images for reference (not my cars):

Bugeye (2002): http://images.turbomagazine.com/features/0710_turp_11_z+2002_subaru_impreza_wrx+left_front_view.jpg

"Cockeye" (2005): http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a346/Skreekin/TonysWRX008.jpg

4. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    It takes 2 weeks to pull the fly-wheel off, and 15 minutes to take the rest of the motor apart... :D

However the simplicity of the design is amazing. Rotaries need to be the future. I would just get one for the fun of the motor. (not the maintainance bit)

5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Ah cool, 'cockeye' (or peanut eye, as refered to normally in the UK IIRC) is the better looking one indeed. However, I saw a white STI RA bug eye model a while ago, and that completely changed my perspection on the bug eye model.

6. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  7. BlownSLK55

BlownSLK55 Rookie

Sep 3, 2006
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Matt
    #32 BlownSLK55, Dec 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I believe you have posted a lot of bad info.

1) RX-7s did not have bad paint. The paint was no different than any other car. I've owned/wrenched on two 1st gens, a 2nd gen turbo, & two 3rd gens.
    2) The ONLY 3 things that a 3rd Gen RX-7 needs are:
    A) silicon hose replacement (~$400 installed)
    B) an aftermarket radiator (Fluidyne or Koyo are fine, ~ $600 installed or do it yourself)
    C) change oil every 2k miles (rotaries "back bleed" some gas during the oil injection process into the rotor housings - it breaks down the oil w/mileage

Fyi, the stock OEM rubber turbo hoses dry rot = poor boost (the $400 silicon hose replacement install solves the problem permanently).
    The aftermarket radiator enhances cooling capacity since rotaries run warmer than their piston counterparts.
    The twin sequential turbos are very reliable - it's the stock rubber OEM hoses that measure boost which cause uneven boost patters if/when they dry rot (so just spend $400 for silcone hose install & never worry about the issue). As an fyi, I've been running 1.1 Bar on the stock twins for 90k miles & they remain perfect. Rotaries like boost - they HATE a lack of fuel = detonation = Broken Apex Seal = $4k replacement moter install (not a huge deal - pretty cheap - but can be avoided easily by increaseing fuel load & getting a proper tune IF you want to increase boost). My car is putting down ~ 405 rwhp on the stock twins in a 2,650 lbs car = lethal quick yet very reliable (one of my DDs).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    You start off by saying that the people who say not to get one haven't owned one (despite the fact that almost all that advise against them point out that they HAVE owned one). You then go on to point out what great cars they are, and how you WOULD own one if you had room... meaning you don't have one! Bizarre!

9. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    FWIW,

Anytime people talk about RX7's there are 2 camps of owners.

The vast majority have owned the cars and would never own them again due to all the problems. Many of these people DID do all the little things that supposedly make them reliable, only to still be screwed by the unreliability of the car.

The other group are the devoted owners who, IMO, will make any excuse for the car. I can't fault them because they are cool cars, but they are IMO just justifying what a totally unreliable car it is.

You can usually tell because they talk about how they have XX,XXX trouble free miles, where XX,XXX isn't all that much :)

I love the RX7. I've had 3 of them. But it's the furthest thing from a reliable car. Even if you do the recommended things, it's still an unreliable car. On the RX list there are long standing members who know about the shortcomings of the car and fix them, and *still* have the car blow up in short order.

It's definitely not a car I would recommend to anyone without them knowing what they are getting into.

IMO, when you have a thread with 20+ people saying they are unreliable and blow engines like crazy, and 1 or 2 who say everyone else is wrong and they are very reliable... well, you can see what your likely ownership experience will be :)

Like I said, no slam on the car's fun-to-drive-ness or anything, because they are tons of fun. But expecting a purchased RX7 to be a reliable daily driver is like expecting your old British car not to have any electrical problems.. naieve :)

10. cameronh

cameronh Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2006
    NC
    Full Name:
    Cameron
  11. BlownSLK55

BlownSLK55 Rookie

Sep 3, 2006
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I disagree about people doing the 2 rel mods (a mere $1k) & still having problems. Why? Because the people you cite are the ones that MOD the car like a normal piston powered car (which you absolutely can not do) & blow the motor. THAT is the problem - it is the owners that put on an exhaust & cold air intake with NO increase in fuel. It's not a problem with a piston motor. It IS a major problem with a rotary (the motor will detonate = $4k motor replacement).

My brother & I have built/ported over a 1,000 12A & 13B blocks over ~ 27 yrs as a hobby (just so you guys have an idea I know what I'm talking about :) ) & it's always the same thing. Kids pick these cars up & don't upgrade the fuel pump (mandatory for the above mods) and/or don't change the fuel filter (these cars are getting old & people forget this simple step ~ 2 yrs) when making the above bolt on modifications in the quest for more power. If you up boost, you must further add fuel (ie from 550s to 850s for at least the Primaries....go to 1300s for Secondaries for a single turbo or 1600s for a BIG single). CARDINAL RULE: Never starve a rotary for fuel or you will pop the motor.

Lastly, I do indeed agree - the 3rd Gen RX-7s should have had silicon hoses & a larger radiator from the factory to combat the additional heat rotaries produce....huge mistake from Mazda - especially since they did not issue a recall to fix this design shortcoming (mistake numero deux). However, when kids mod the car like their dad's Corvette & pop the motor because they didn't add fuel (ie do their homework first on the rotary powerplant), then I think it's one of life's lessons ("read/study before you do", or suffer the consequences). IMO, if anyone buys a rare/unique sports car (ie one with a rotary engine with a twin sequential turbocharging system), that person should research & learn before buying as people in this thread have wisely noted. You can't go out buy an '82 308 Quattrovalve & never check the cam belts and/or get a valve job done - these types of cars can be rare & finicky so the owner must know how to treat them. My 2 cents! Cheers.

12. Dr.Wit.

Dr.Wit. Rookie

Dec 31, 2008
    My idea of a reliable car is NOT one that i need to spend $1500+ for it to run correctly. If an RX-7 is deemed a reliable car i would love to know what an unreliable car is...

You will need to rebuild the engine, period. I think the true question is whether or not to stick with the rotary. I suggest dumping it. I have yet to see any modified car last longer than the stock car. Use your head, what part of "just bolt a bigger turbo on it and you'll be fine" sounds like it will last 150k miles?

Speed, Reliability, Good Price- Pick 2.

13. SoIllFerrari

SoIllFerrari Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2005
    IL
    Full Name:
    CD
    I agree with a lot of what people have said. I had an FD Rx-7 and absolutely LOVED it. I did all the mods that SLK55 had mentioned and got many trouble free miles. All these mods were done before I got the car. The only problem I had was that my radio did not work. It never did. I think, similar to ferraris, that there are a lot of cars that guys bought cheap, modified (without knowledge), and blew. There are a lot of these out there. I bought my car from its original owner, who took care of it like a rotary should be (very different from a regular engine). I did my due diligence and had the car checked out, and did my research. It was a black 93. Before anyone asks, I got rid of the car because I bought a 997, and had no space for it. The car went to someone else who could appreciate the rotaries, and he still has yet to have a problem. I think that there is a lot to go wrong with a rotary, and a VAST majority have been poorly maintained or poorly modified. I have met many current owners who admit that their rotary, though it passed an inspection had things go wrong that were due to previous poor maintenance. To properly inspect a rotary almost every single piece in the engine bay would have to be checked out. Not saying the car is perfect, just that a good car is good, and there is a lot to go wrong that often does.

14. SS2012

SS2012 Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    Not worth the trouble even if you love the design.... A friend working at a Mazda dealership once told me a NA rotary engine is like a grenade, and a turbo rotary engine is like a grenade with the pin removed.

15. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    #40 LightGuy, Mar 10, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
    Up to 425 miles total on my 93. Last driven to Rob's party.
    So far seems tight.

16. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    #41 Auraraptor, Mar 16, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
    I always liked the cars, but for the (potential) troubles, I would much rather get (another) NSX. I also like the steering and gearbox feel more of the NSX, and the interior is less "bubbly" 90s in feeling. If I wasn't a glutton for those German and Italian cars (with their maintaince issues), I would probably own both the RX and the NSX!

17. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    the FD rx7 is truly an awesome car, and from what i've heard an absolutely amazing drive. just to echo what others have already said to your homework before you buy one. overheating is a major issue, but address that issue and go with a single turbo and you will have one fast, amazing ride! Boosted FDs can hang with highly tuned supras, and there's not too much else out there that can do that.

18. Sarc

Sarc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    USA
    #43 Sarc, Mar 16, 2009
  19. Jimi900

Jimi900 Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2004
    Tulsa, OK
    Your car looks amazing!!! I really like the clean yet sportly look you have gone with.

20. Sarc

Sarc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    USA
    I completely agree! But unfortunately, it's not my RX-7 :(

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    My crew chief when I raced 1st Gen RX7's and then the RX8 said this was not the cars fault, but the mechanics. Just too few people that knew what they were doing and thought they did. Anyone can build a rotary that runs, but for how long and what power. Luckily I had one of the few good builders in the nation on my team.

22. drewprof

drewprof Rookie

Feb 5, 2009
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Drew
    #47 drewprof, Mar 22, 2009
    I own a 2nd Gen 1987 Rx7 with 178,000 miles on original engine, transmission and rear end. The only problem I had was the heating core once leaked and I ended up with anti freeze in the cabin and all over the engine bay. Luckily I immediately pulled over and didn't allow the engine to overheat.
    It took me a whole day to dismantle the dashboard and access the heat core to swap it then replace all cooling hoses around the engine, the water pump and the radiator where I discovered a pin hole leak.
    Other than normal maintenance stuff like plugs, wires and brakes the car needs no mechanical attention. I do however have a spare engine that I need to rebuild just to have fun putting it together and of course as insurance in case mine blows. I hear about these time bombs all the time but I have been lucky I guess ;)

23. drewprof

drewprof Rookie

Feb 5, 2009
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Drew
    Oh, the secret to keeping it running that long is to drive it like you stole it :)

24. nickdk

nickdk Rookie

Oct 21, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Nicholas deKay
    I have a 1993 that is on motor number 4.

Motor number one was stock and died at 60K
    Motor number two was a 3mm motor with T-88 turbo and 497.7whp and died at 20K
    Motor number three was a 2mm ceramic seal (Mandaville built) GT35/40R that made 450whp and died after 4K
    Motor number four is a 1999 LS1 motor from a Camaro that has been lightly modified for about 400whp. (LS6 intake manifold, headers, cams, bla bla bla)

The GT35/40 motor was awesome. I loved it and it was really fast. It made a wonderful sound and revved so wonderfully high.

With that said, the LS1 motor is the best thing I have ever done to the car. It is fast as hell, weights 2700lbs full of gas, and is faster at the track (Talledega and Road Atlanta) than any of my prior setups (I have same suspension and tires as I did with the rotary setup). I get over 30mpg on the highway and it starts every time I turn the key. I dont have to premix. I no longer get crap MPG. I can through another $3K into the motor if I need another 100whp.

25. deluboz

deluboz Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2008
    Plano,Texas
    Full Name:
    John C. Lin
    #50 deluboz, Apr 3, 2009
    This RX7 I used to had fully Built by Rotary Performance Ari & Chris out of Garland Texas, but sold in 2002, Missed the car.

Blitz KKK-27 Single Turbo
    Blitz Front Mount Intercooler
    C-West Body Kit
    3" Top Speed Pro-1 Titanium Catback Exhaust
    Light Weight Pulley
    Plus Many Mods, Actual Dyno 387HP @ Wheel