Great Leather product " Leatherique " | FerrariChat

Great Leather product " Leatherique "

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by butch355, Mar 6, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. butch355

butch355 Karting

Jan 27, 2005
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Brent
    Ok first off I have nothing to do with this company I love the product. After using it the 355 seats looked 5 years newer!

Some at a local car show turned me on to this stuff when I saw he had a 85 911 Targa and the seats looked supple and brand new.

The stuff is great because you can leave it on the seats for as long as you want and the oil seeps into the leather (only one I have found that lets you leave it on to really penatrate). Also, the product seems to then force out the dirt and chemicals to the surface.

Then when you used the cleaner after the oil I was amazed at how much dirt and gunk came off and my seats looked 100% better.

If you use it I would apply the oil with your hands and rub it in. Then let it sit on the seats for at least 48 hours minimum (3-4 days is good, some people said they leave it on for a week!). Then put the cleaner into a small spray bottle and spray on the seats. The reason for using your hands and spray bottle is the stuff is EXPENSIVE! Also, they have crack filler that is dyed and some other products for the neglected hides out there.

Another good idea it to buy the product in bulk them seperate it out with friends and family. The gallon size is cheap when you split it up. I know its expensive, but after using it you wont need any of the other conditioners.

Hope this helps someone with old cracked leather out there! I wish I would have taken some before and after photos, oh well hope someone else does!! link www.leatherique.com

2. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Leatherique's Rejuvinator is what the previous poster is talking about. It is indeed great stuff, as is their Prestine Clean that was used afterwards.

Leatherique's products are well known on Fchat, altho they haven't come up in quite awhile(search is your friend). I used them to redye my seats 6 years ago, & they still look very good. Posted it in the old fchat, but the fchat hard drive crash lost the pix.

Need to touch up the left seatback bolster on the driver's side where my A$$ rubs tho. Touch-up with Leatherique's dye is very easy.

3. desire308

desire308 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2007
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter W
    I am going to do it when I get the mechanicals done. Don't want to dirty them up.

I understand you can get the leather color matched if you sent them a sample...this is what I will do so I can match up the console and doors that currently don't. Anyone gone this way?

4. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    I also had good results with the products, although it is a process as mentioned before. What do you use for everyday cleaning/dusting that will not leave chemicals behind such as with the leather wipes sold in stores?

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I use Griot's Garage Interior Cleaner http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+care/interior+detailing/interior+cleaner%2C+35+ounces.do

For "everyday" leather treatment I use Griot's Leather Care:
    http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+care/interior+detailing/leather+care%2C+16+ounces.do

For deep treatment of the fragile leather dash, I use Leatherique Rejuventator Oil, and apply liberally and allow to soak in for 24 hours, then clean off with their Prestine Clean or simply a damp cloth. I have found that soaking for longer than 24 hours is of little benefit. I don't like using the Rejuvenator Oil on the seats and such as it is such a mess to clean off and stays kind of sticky for a few days after treatment....

6. KKRace

KKRace Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Rockville/Olney MD
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Great product but be carefull!!!! I have heard of some cases where using too much can lift the dye out of the leather. Don't pour it on and let it sit. Use just enough and work it in. Like anything, try a test patch first.

7. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    If the leather is old and in need of cleaning you WILL lift dye out! All the old "dead" dye will come out on your rag until you get everything cleaned up. Hasn't seemed to change the color of my red seats but it really freaked me out the first couple of times.

8. oliv928

oliv928 Karting

Aug 14, 2008
    France, Toulouse
    i did not buy the leatherique products because it was quite expensive and i am located in france. but maybe i made a mistake i dont know. i have bought these products :

soap
    http://www.valmour.fr/produits-entretien/savon-nettoyant-regenerant-avel,196
    black cream
    http://www.valmour.fr/produits-entretien/renovateur-creme-avel,201
    special liquid for wheel
    http://www.valmour.fr/produits-entretien/renomat,20

i wanted a product that recharge the leather with black colour. that is why i finally did this choice.

result :

for the colour i think the result is good. the grey colour at the side of the driver seat is now quite black.

but :

i my opinion the leather remains "thin" and "little surfaced cracked". so i think i should have use a more oily or creamy thing.

maybe i should turn on to leatherique products, or use another product in the AVEL stuff, or .... go to a professional leather workshop.

9. h00kem

h00kem Guest

Dec 15, 2004
    Texas
    Yep, and they do a great job matching. The dye is very good too.

10. h00kem

h00kem Guest

Dec 15, 2004
    Texas
    I have never had it list the dye on new or vintage leather. I have heard of folks trying to aggressively wipe of the product with too much pristine clean and scrubb some of the dye off. And the longer the produce sits on the leather the better. This stuff is great and I don't work for them either.

11. Miner_31

Miner_31 Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2008
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I know quite a few dealerships (Ferarri) that use the leatherique products. They work great but they are commercial grade so in the wrong hands you could do some damage.

12. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    I've used the Rejuvenator Oil and Prestine Clean on my 328 leather once a year for the last eight years. The leather is always fresh, clean, an supple. It really is a great product.

13. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I think the Owner of Leatherique sold his TR, or was trying to.....

Good stuff, but Lexol is easier to find, in the Saddle shops around here! LOL!

14. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

The only problem with Lexol is that it doesn't do anything.

15. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    Leatherique is a pain to use.
    It makes a mess.
    It involves a fair amount of work.
    Following all their directions is certainly not a "quick afternoon" job.

And yet I would STILL use this stuff again in the future. The results are THAT good!!!

16. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    Use a warm damp cotton towel to wipe them down several times before continuing. That will keep them from being sticky.

17. OC Speed Junkie

OC Speed Junkie Formula 3

Aug 6, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    I have been using their rejuvenator and pristine clean for a few years. Amazing product. I first tested it on my 12 years old at the time black corvette seats. I had been using various cleaners and conditioners on the seats for years. What came out of the leather and the final finish on the seats was incredible. The leather felt incredible. I have since used the stuff on BMW's, NSX's, Bentley, Porsches,... The results are always amazing. A little messy and time consuming, but worth the effort. I recommend apply the rejuvenator by hand.

18. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I would be afraid it would discolor the contrasting threads on late model Ferraris as well. All that dark has to go somewhere.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

19. LRPMAN

LRPMAN Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Aiken S.C. & FL.
    Full Name:
    George Pavlisko
    Yes I did and have lost touch with who has it now. I have been looking at other "F" cars but been trying to survive the stock market like everyone else is.
    Thanks for the kind words. 2008 was our 45th year and 40th year since we where called simply the best by Rolls Royce.
    Again thank you for the kind words and take care
    George P

20. LRPMAN

LRPMAN Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Aiken S.C. & FL.
    Full Name:
    George Pavlisko
    No problem, Have Magnolia in one Jag and a sort of Creama in another and the stitching just comes clean when you use the Prestine clean to wipe up the mess.

PLEASE NEVER USE A CLEANER ON ANY LEATHER ALONE it WILL darken the Leather and Darken the stitches that is why we say ues the Rejuvinator Oil FIRST then the Prestine Clean it just works better.
    Take Care
    George P.

21. f355jimv

f355jimv Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2008
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Have used leatherique on my interior over the last year and it has made an incredible difference.

Great product and yes, it does take time but the results are well worth it!

22. FF8929

FF8929 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2008
    Livonia, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Fred Flynn
    #22 FF8929, Mar 19, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
    I had a trim panel where the 25 year old leather had dried and pulled 3/4" away from the surface. It was like a suspension bridge strung across a valley. I repeatedly rubbed in Rejuvinator Oil with my fingers over a period of several days. The leather became supple enough to reglue to the surface. Expensive, but it works. Their dye is good too.

23. ferrarilou

ferrarilou Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    US
    Full Name:
    Lou Menditto
    I've used Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil & Pristine Clean for quite a few years (5+) and have always been happy with them. I don't apply it frequently, so the quart bottle I purchased a few years ago is still going strong. I did go into a leather-cleaning frenzy last week because I bought a new (used BMW) car for my daughter and wanted to get the leather in better shape before she saw it in person. Steering wheel needed it the most, removing years of grime. Also did it on my M5 "while I was at it". I just bought some dye yesterday to fix up the bolsters. My first experience with Leatherique was with my Mondial T in the mid-nineties.
    I didn't do the 360 cleaning yet, mostly because I've been terrified of disturbing the contrasting stitching, so i'm delighted to hear from George that it will clean right up. I met him once in Savannah at a Ferrari Club event, great to talk to.

Lou

24. Stew

Stew Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2006
    Los Angeles
  25. JohnP

JohnP Karting

Nov 23, 2007
    Richmond Hill
    Full Name:
    John
    I must be doing something wrong, i tried it on my porsche but it didn't help. Maybe i need heat? Is it to cold here? What am I doing wrong?