POLISHERS: Griot's orbital or Mothers Power Ball ? | FerrariChat

POLISHERS: Griot's orbital or Mothers Power Ball ?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Uomo360F1, Mar 18, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Uomo360F1

Uomo360F1 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2007
    I'm looking to but a polisher. Hard time picking between the Griot's Garage Orbital Polisher, or the latest by Mothers, Power Ball 4 Paint.
    Any feedback or suggestions?

2. Joe 575

Joe 575 Karting

Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal/Carmel
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I have been using Griots for a few years now, actuall just bought the smaller version as well and they do a great job. I detail all my cars and they have been workhorses and produce a great result. Don't any experience with Mothers.

Hope that helps

3. woody byrd

woody byrd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2006
    cary, nc
    Full Name:
    woody byrd
    I have the Random Orbit polisher and the Mothers 3" polishing ball. Assuming the Mothers you refer to is a larger version, go with the Random Orbit. The obvious difference is spinning a flat pad on a flat surface or polishing a car with a soft tennis ball. You can also change the pads to accomplish different things. It will do a more even distribution of polishes, waxes, sealers, etc. and easier to use. There are occasions that the Mothers Ball might be preferred. Maybe get the medium as well. It fits in the end of a drill. That's my opionion, but I am only a serious car lover, so let's wait and hear comments from the detail experts.

4. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
  5. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    IMO, if you don't know how to use the Porter Cable type of polisher, stay with ANY type of random orbital polisher. You can never hurt the paint with a random orbital polisher.
    Years ago I burnt paint on my TR with the Porter Cable polisher. Never again for me!

6. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    How the heck could you burn your paint with the Porter Cable 7424? It's a random orbital with a very gentle action. Maybe you were using a different model? Or sandpaper instead of a foam pad?

The only way you could damage your paint with a 7424 is by dropping the tool on the car or by getting dirt on the pad. It's the most gentle machine polisher you can buy.

7. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Just get a porter cable and learn a good polishing technique. Does Griot's still try to rip you off with shipping? One order from them and I moved on. Don't need no stink'n middle man although the catalog is great for ideas. ;)

8. woody byrd

woody byrd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2006
    cary, nc
    Full Name:
    woody byrd
    I also use the Porter Cable Machine. No danger with random orbit. Put your hand on the hood and polish it.

9. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    Yes. Shipping is a little on the high side.

But their polish works so well with the Porter Cable and Lake Country foam pads that it's worth it. I've tried a few other polishes but nothing worked as well for me.

10. slice

slice Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2008
    Connecticut, US
    Detailed cars by hand back in the day (20 years ago) as a summer job during college years...so when I purchased my first Ferrari (a 360) in January, I was under the impression I still had it in me, but like everything else, age took it's toll and I simply can't apply polish the way I once could.

Once I resigned myself to the fact that I no longer had the ability to properly hand polish, I did a ton of research and narrowed choice down to the Porter Cable, Megs and Griots. Heard good stuff about Griots and like many here, have received their catalogs in the past.

Got Griots on the phone today and the guy was friendly and very knowledgeable...decided to get their random orbital (I know, it is probably made in the same factory as the Megs and Porter) in their package with a couple of the machine polishes, DVD/book and clay bar...he even hooked me up with 10% off (which basically negated shipping).

My Take:
    Yes, I could purchase the Porter from Coastal (it is cheaper there), and then piecemeal together the right pads, counterweights and polishes....or I can simply get it done in one shot - again, Griot's was very friendly (the guy emailed me right after we hung up, telling me to respond if I wasn't satisfied). This is by far the most I've spent on a vehicle, so in my opinion the $50 or so extra clearly insignificant.

We'll see how it performs in a week or so...

11. Uomo360F1

Uomo360F1 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2007
    Thanks for the feedback. Please post back after you try it.

12. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I too have a recently purchased 360 and have decided to order from Griots as customer service and products are great! Just haven't decided yet as to electric or compressed air .
    Docf

13. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I use a Griots (PC) with SONUS pads. Works a treat!

14. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I would recommend the new Meguiars g110 over the Porter Cable. Same concept, more power and (I think) more comfortable hand placement.

15. flipdowt

flipdowt Karting

Dec 13, 2008
    Mahopac,New York
    Full Name:
    John Flip
    i purchased the griots random orbital carnuba kit which includes #3 polish and it works great!customer service is also very friendly and helpful. all in all i must have purchased around $500 worth of griots products and they all work great.although shipping is a little on the high side,once a customer ,they send % off coupons once in a while and if you do as slice did and ask for a discount they almost always give it to you.i would highly recommend griots products for the do it you selfer.the #3 polish really gets the fine swirl marks out.