SENNA To DTM In 2009?? | FerrariChat

SENNA To DTM In 2009??

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by RP, Mar 19, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Bruno Senna is testing for Mercedes this week with a view to joining the team in the DTM for 2009.

The Brazilian has been strongly linked to a DTM switch since it became clear that there would not be a place for him in the Brawn GP Formula 1 team.

He drove a 2008 Mercedes C Class for the first time at Hockenheim yesterday and will complete a second day of running today.

Both Mercedes motorsport boss Norbert Haug and Senna stressed that no deal had yet been done, but that they were keen to explore opportunities for the 2009 DTM.

"Today, Bruno Senna got his first whiff of DTM air and he enjoyed it," said Haug. "He'll be testing again tomorrow and then we'll all sit down and decide what happens next."

Senna said his first day of testing had been a good experience, and reckons a season in the DTM could prepare him well for F1.

"It has been fun so far and I have enjoyed getting onto the pace quite quickly in this car," he said.

"I don't underestimate the level of competition in the DTM though. It is a great series, high profile and good wheel to wheel racing.

"There is much to discuss but that close racing and focus on outright speed in this category could suit me very well and could certainly be one new experience that can add value to my career as I aim for F1 in the future."

The test comes a fortnight after Senna tried out the ORECA team's LMP1 car in Le Mans Series testing at Paul Ricard.

2. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    He won't be there for long if he does do it. He wants F1 and he'll get it eventually.

3. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    I hope he does.
    However in the rush to cut costs little attention has been paid to the ramifications on driver development from the test ban.
    He'd be in an F1 seat now if the test ban didn't come in.
    The path to F1, GP2 etc are all dangling in the balance just now. Can easily see two seasons with no new driver entrants.
    Watch what that does to the whole driver development ladder.