Printer Profile | FerrariChat

Printer Profile

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Zahiba, Mar 21, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Zahiba

Zahiba Formula 3

Mar 29, 2005
    Victoria, Canada
    Full Name:
    Malcolm
    Hey guys,

So I just bought a new printer, a little Canon Pixma iP4600. What I'm wondering about is the printer profiles. Before I started to play around with them all my pictures were coming out much darker than they looked on the screen. Now I've found (some) profiles in Photoshop CS2, which is what I use to edit, but the different kinds of paper is quite limited. Are there any websites that you can download printer profiles for different kinds of paper? Does my monitor need to be calibrated too? Are there programs for sale that do this? Could I call a camera store and see if they could get someone to come over and do it for me? What needs to be done to get my photos looking their best? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :)
    -Zahiba

2. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Yes, in order to get the best results, the monitor needs to be calibrated. There are devices sold for this purpose. I have one called the Spyder2 which has now been replaced by the Spyder3. I am sure that for quality grades of paper you can find profile information from other users but I've never gone in this direction preferring to have the best work printed by professionals.