Ski/Snowboard conditions at Squaw (too warm?) | FerrariChat

Ski/Snowboard conditions at Squaw (too warm?)

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by JeffB, Mar 20, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JeffB

JeffB Formula 3

Jan 16, 2004
    Northville, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff B
    I'm thinking about heading out to Squaw next weekend with the g/f for a last minute ski/snowboard trip. They said the temp is around mid 20s at night and in the 40s during the day. Weather.com shows it being much warmer than that, but I'm assuming that weather.com isn't giving temps on the slopes. Can anybody say how the ski conditions are right now? Is it going to be slushy melting snow or do the slopes hold up well even though the temp climbs much higher than freezing?

I've never been to any resort in Lake Tahoe and in fact, this was never meant to be a ski trip, but we were too tempted by the website's ski condition reports, etc... We might just ski Fri & Sat, then drive to Napa on Sunday.

I appreciate any input or advice (BTW, I have a room on hold at "The Village at Squaw Valley". I told them we just wanted to be walking distance from the lifts).

2. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    I was at Squaw last Saturday. Icy in the morning, a little slushy in the pm, but not too bad. It snowed a little since then. Weather changes day to day. It's pot luck on what conditions will be. Go for it!

3. mcmurb

mcmurb Rookie

Nov 10, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Bart McMurry
    I'm heading that way next weekend too. Weather.com is good for Northville weather but lousy for Sierra's. You can stand on top of a mountain of crud and look 3 miles away to powder city. When I drive east from the Bay, it can change from pouring rain to powder within a few hundred feet.

What to do is to stay at Squaw because you like the hotel, but be willing to drive to the conditions you want. For instance, I'm staying at Northstar, but by no means will be skiing there. If Heavenly is PowPow, its another 20 mins to their lift. If AMeadows or SugarBowl are groomed and empty, drive a few minutes and go there instead. You'll be on EST anyway so lifts open at 8:30am but you'll be up and ready to go at 5 am anyway. Just wake up and check websites of resorts for daily updates (skiheavenly.com, etc). All the areas are relatively close to each other but NorCal is the definition of "microclimate" so Boreal can be lousy, but SugarBowl epic and they're within sight of each other.

On behalf of our state, welcome and enjoy yourself. Thank you for spending your money here, we can use it!

Bart McMurry
    (MSU class of 1987)

4. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    The weather at Squaw Valley is very predictable. Its guaranteed to be either sunny and warm, or snowing, or raining, or windy! ;)

5. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Got a foot of fresh snow last night, tomorrow should be a great day!

6. Loser

Loser Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2008
    Gilroy, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
  7. mcmurb

mcmurb Rookie

Nov 10, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Bart McMurry
    Where else can I coach little league in shorts in the morning with skis and boards on the lid, and be in a foot of fresh by late lunchtime?! Frefan, any opinion on Catamount Lodge in "New" village at Northstar? $629/night - what recession?

8. mcmurb

mcmurb Rookie

Nov 10, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Bart McMurry
    Loser, thanks for posting that link. New favorite.

9. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Never stayed at Catamount; I live 35 minutes from there and its a really easy drive for me because I'm already on the other side of the summit. However I can say that when I was there last week, the village is DEAD. Personally I'd look at buying a condo there if I wasn't so damn close. But places like the ritz never have good deals, even in a recession.

10. Johndahl

Johndahl Karting

Jan 31, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Snowed in Placerville today (2000 ft) so they should have some fresh snow for next week. My buddy just went up last Friday said it was a bit slushie in the PM. It will be similar to srping conditions but anticipate wind which does keep it chilly on the face...at least that is the way it was 2 weeks ago when I was there, just after the large storms :) If you stay out of the wind, it feels warm and the snow will get soft/wet by end of day, but that's the Sierras for you...heavy wet snow. Still worth it though. Given the opportunity, I would be going again..but will be packing for Kauai instead!

The village is nice and you will enjoy that. Lots to do and nice resturants. Ice Skating at the top of the hill at the lodge..Ice Bar....beer mugs and shot glassed carved out of blocks of ice..watch the lips :)

Have a great time!

11. Paul N

Paul N Karting

Aug 8, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #11 Paul N, Mar 23, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
    Was at Squaw 3/17 - 3/20. Totally spring conditions, ice in some spots in the AM, slurpee afternoons. Get a good wax on and you'll be fine.

My only complaint about the Village at Squaw Creek is no room service, and all the restaurants in the Village closing early.

12. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    just came back last nite from Northstar. 14 inches of fresh snow. Skiing on Sunday was epic !

13. JeffB

JeffB Formula 3

Jan 16, 2004
    Northville, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff B
    Thx for the tips everybody. I hope there is still a piece of that fresh new snow by the time we get there, but I doubt there will be any left. Or even better, I'd like to place an order for a foot of fresh powder on Friday night/Sat morning plz :)

We arrive Thurs night and leave Mon early afternoon. Originally I was going to look at some property and/or homes for sale, but it quickly turned into a ski trip. I still might try to spend much of Sunday looking around. Lake Tahoe has always seemed like an ideal place I'd like to live. I figured since property has taken such a beating out there recently, picking up a piece of land or even an existing home might be a great opportunity in the near future (even though I might not be ready to move for several years). If anybody has any suggestions on where to look first, I appreciate any input. Some details of what I'm most interested in are...

I'd like to keep a couple of dirtbikes and/or ATVs and be able to ride them straight from the backyard (or down the street) into various riding areas. I'm not even sure if that's possible in Tahoe, but would be a big plus if that is possible somewhere. Other than that, the more scenic a view is of the beautiful mountains & water I always see in pics, the better of course.

14. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    It's perfect, temps are down so it should stay that way for a while.

15. mcmurb

mcmurb Rookie

Nov 10, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Bart McMurry
    jeffb, look for homes on FREFAN's side of the lake. He's got it right. Taxes in my new state will take your breath away!

16. Johndahl

Johndahl Karting

Jan 31, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Bring a tee shirt and sun screen :)

Just checking weather in my neck of the woods. Placerville will be close to 75 deg on Sat. Will mostly be just like spring conditions but without the weeks of warm weather. Should have a great base but will likely be wet.

17. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Just got back and it was fantastic, cold, clear and no crowds. This may be one of the best weeks.

18. JeffB

JeffB Formula 3

Jan 16, 2004
    Northville, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff B
    Great to hear that! Any particular mountain(s) you recommend as having the best conditions right now?