Your First Guitar? | FerrariChat

Your First Guitar?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by venusone, Mar 20, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    I still have the guitar I started playing as a teen that my parents bought for me in a head shop off El Camino Real near San Francisco in 1967. It’s a “Westbrook”. I believe they paid $40.00. The strings haven't been replaced for 20 years & neck is a bit warped but it still sounds good (to me).
    Tell me about your first...

2. Mrpbody44

Mrpbody44 F1 Veteran

Jul 5, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Full Name:
    Steve Metz
    I have a 1963 Fender Jaguar in natural finish. I saw Tom Verlaine of Television playing one at CBGB's and I went to Medley Music in Brynmar PA and saw one and bought it for $175.00. I have never seen another one. Mine is like the one on the band shot on the inner sleeve of Maquee Moon. I still have it and 70 other vintage guitars. I will post a pic soon.

3. Zahiba

Zahiba Formula 3

Mar 29, 2005
    Victoria, Canada
    Full Name:
    Malcolm
    First guitar and only guitar I've ever had was one I made in a high school woodwork class! :D

Wanted to build it so i could play, it but havent gotten around to it unfortunately.

4. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    I started playing in and around 1982. I had some piece of crap no name acustic, graduated to Fender Squire electric, then to Fender Strat [ american made ] and now also have a washburn acustic. i find myself playing the acustic more. I also put a set of electric strings on my acustic, gives it a more tinty sound. i play almost everyday.

5. AlexO91

AlexO91 F1 Rookie

Sep 26, 2008
    NW England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I've always wanted to learn how to play the guitar, but never had the paitence to actually sit and learn.

6. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    teach yourself, I did. Never took a lesson in my life. Start off by learning the basis chords then go from there.
    When I play for my friends they cant believe I never took a lesson.

7. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    Karen, in all seriousness, post up a video of yourself playing, would love to see and hear.

8. EC308

EC308 Formula 3

Aug 28, 2005
    jenkintown, pa
    Full Name:
    ed
    1969 fender stratocaster used for $150 when I was a kid in the late 70's. The guy needed money for a plane ticket and my dad bought it for me.

9. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    1966 Fender Melodymaker single pickup. Black with white pickguard.

10. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Thats great!! How ya been Ed?? When you coming back out this way again?? I feel like partying with ya again! :D:D

I bought my 1st axe, a white "Aria Pro" electric guitar. Cost me AU $150 back in 2000 when I started to learn to play. I still have it, but now its painted black. It is seriously a POS guitar that is almost ****ed, sounds like **** and NEVER stays in tune but I love it and I wont get rid of it. :p:p

It sits happily next to both my ESP's in my guitar rack. ;);)

11. EC308

EC308 Formula 3

Aug 28, 2005
    jenkintown, pa
    Full Name:
    ed
    Hey Pap, I am dying to get back, doing Cruefest this summer so I am stuck in the states. If you come over here you know you are in.

12. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Excellent, thanks mate! :):)

13. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    #13 whart, Mar 22, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
    I have played keyboards of one form or another since the mid-60's. I played in bands, did some side-work, spent a small amount of time in studios as a musician (and much more just hangin').
    Decided a couple months ago- don't ask me why- that I needed to learn how to play guitar at the age of 54.
    Am working with a great instructor and have surprised myself about how much I love the process. - I know music, can read, have a good ear, etc., but translating that to the guitar is sometimes extremely frustrating and is only overcome by hours of practice, and knowing when to let go, walk away, and come back to the instrument. I now spend time thinking about the notes, and technique, when I am not saddled up with a guitar. I read avidly, buy sheet music, and have gone back to many early recordings for simple blues and rock riffs- Freddie King, Elmore James, etc.
    Oh, and I bought two guitars. A Gibson Les Paul- new- which was tweaked by Larry Corsa. And, a Fender Tele '52 reissue 'Hot Rod' (it has a mini-bucker in the neck pickup position). Both guitars sound distinctly different (particularly when the Tele is set to the bridge pickup for that country twang). I am running them through a low wattage hand-wired Marshall tube amp. I am loving some of the sounds I am getting, even though, truth be told, I totally suck (right now). This also inspired me to look for a new piano. More on that later.

PS. I also got some great insights from members of this board in emails and phone conversations.

14. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    my first axe was a Fender strat, in lake placid blue. no clue what year it was made in. i kept it for about a million years and traded it off. i have had a bunch of guitars, i used to buy / sell them like to do cars , when i was bored. now i keep the good ones, as guitars don't take up much room!

i really prefer a well set up les paul to anything else. i have had many of the "other" makes, and tried out the various hot rod stratocaster axes, but i prefer simple guitars. i detest tremolo's and i dont need a "whammy bar" to sound good.

guitar, amp, guitar cord and pick are all i need.

no fancy pedals or effects racks. :)

15. The Ape

The Ape Formula 3

Feb 28, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ape
    1971 Fender Tele (Navaho White, Maple Neck)

16. The Palerider

The Palerider Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2008
    Miami, Florida
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I was just having this converstion the other day and had a good laugh about the first guitar. It was 1984, the guitar was a Palmer red/white Eddie Van Halen Frankenstein knock-off. It was terrible. But it was bought from Don at Greenshift Music in Tampa...a great store for used gear.

After many years and many guitars, I currently have and play a Fender Highway One Tele, a Fender Strat, a Fender Jagstang, and a Takamine acoustic.

17. enzokidd

enzokidd Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2009
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Shaunt
    squire strat..was fun but terrible..i have a gibson sg now..i love it!!

18. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Gibson B25-12; yep, a 12 string to begin with and then moved up to a B45-12. It was the early 60's and folk music was the thing.

Then went into rock and Fenders. Fender Bass V was the first solid body I had.

19. kaisen

kaisen Karting

Nov 15, 2005
    Minneapolis
    #19 kaisen, Mar 25, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
    +1

My first was a 1984 Les Paul Jr. I bought new. Very basic set up, but I loved it. Still do!