How cold is too cold | FerrariChat

How cold is too cold

Discussion in '348/355' started by Novice, Mar 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Novice

Novice Rookie

Apr 30, 2008
    ROCHESTER NY
    It's been a long cold winter and the 348, I'm happy to say, has made it through like a champ (oil change, tarp on the floor of the garage and tires off the ground), she started right up yesterday. As I was driving her today (41 F and sunny) everything was perfect, though at high speeds the oil and engine temp were a little lower than in summer. My question is, what temperature is too cold? When is it ill advised to take the car out and get her hot only to put it in a below zero garage for the night?

2. DerWebMeister

Aug 21, 2007
    Columbus, OH
    Full Name:
    Timothy
    Hi, for the most part, engines like colder weather. I think it would always be smart to get the engine running as often as weather permits. Sometimes the weather is sunny but the roads are still salty or being sprayed with sodium bromide. Of course you'll make sure the roads are clear. I think getting it hot and running is a smart thing to do.

3. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA | Austin |Miami
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I've run mine as low as 20 F(f355)

4. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Same here - mid 20s without a problem. Just give the car some additional time to warm up. And watch out for black ice.

5. dlynes

dlynes Formula 3

Oct 16, 2004
    Augusta, Ga
    Full Name:
    Dave
    as stated, engine run better with cooler weather/temperatures unless it is extremely below 0*F.

As long as you allow plenty of time for your engine to warm up, driving in COOL weather is great just keep in mind, running the heater cools the engine off even more

6. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    I run mine at least once a week regardless of temperature, but not in foul weather. It runs fine in cold weather, and I've had it out in the 20's too, but admittedly it started out in the warm garage and ended up there, too.

7. conscom

conscom Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2008
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I drive my all year, whenever roads are dry. Just give more time to warm up and drive easy until water and oil temp. up to normal. Runs great in cold weather.

8. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Should be fine in most conditions. Make sure that your oil temp is rising off the peg before you drive and do not red line the thing until you are properly warmed up!