308 GTB Question | FerrariChat

308 GTB Question

Discussion in '308/328' started by 76Steel, Mar 23, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #1 76Steel, Mar 23, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
    Hi everyone,

So, today we have installed the powder coated engine vents back in - looks great! Was a fun day driving my 308 as well. Finally, after a year and a half all my main projects are done and the car is ready for the warm weather. Feels great. From now on - its driving and maintenance. Feels great.

Quick question for experts:

REAR BONNET:

On the RIGHT side where the hinges are for the rear engine bonnet, I have pin connection (one piece sliding into another) for the rear lights. My Mechanic told me that there is a clip that holds this connection piece in place (so it won't get potentially caught in the door). I guess a short black cable tie would do, but would like to know if any of you guys know the part number for the clip, or can shed any light on this?

I looked at Ricambi's website and the closes thing I could come up with was #40065005 "Pin Gasket" ... but, I'm not feeling 100% on my finding.

Many thanks in advance.

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Mike, How were you able to rivet back the engine vent on the hood?

3. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    When I powdercoated mine, I used a "Pop" rivet tool. PITA, but can be done.

4. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #4 76Steel, Mar 23, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
    Yep, We used a pop rivet gun that was purchased from home depot for about 20 dollars. Steve, my mechanic had rivets. They were aluminum. It was actually not bad to do at all. Home Depo had 2 sizes of Rivet Guns and we needed the smaller one to get in between the engine vents.

Overall all, it was about 45 minutes to take the vents out (we drilled the rivets out and had to take the engine hood off the car) and about hour 1/2 to put the vents, etc back in, also with engine hoo dout. (That's we had to disconnect the pin connector for the back lights). Few hundred dollars to powder coat everything, but in my opinion it was worth it - looks really, really nice now.

5. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    I want pic's

6. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    But how did you get the rivet gun between the louvers, is there a rivet gun small enough to do the job?

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    There HAS to be, LOL! I agree a standard size one probably won't fit.

I think you are right, about the clip to the hinge, I can look for you.....no camera though...

8. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Steve,
    I want to see the powder coating!
    my front vents aren't bad, but they might benefit as the annodizing is wearing thin.

If Steve didn't have black rivets, a dab of flat black testor's model paint will hide them nicely.
    Glun black doesn't stick to the aluminum rivets.

9. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #9 76Steel, Mar 24, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
    Hi Mike,

Home Depo had two sizes of rivet guns .... the smaller of the two fit between the vents!

Clyde,

You are welcome to check out the vents - came out really cool. I'm going to subscribe now, so I can post pics and I guess its about time, too. Thanks for heads up on the paint - yeah, we had aluminum rivets. I'll try the acrylic paint that I used to touch up my back 308 emblem. You know I was playing with the idea of having a 3X8 BBQ at my place once the weather gets a little warmer. I have plenty of parking and would be nice to BBQ/ Chat and just do a Ferrari day for a few guys into 3X8 models or something like that ....

Best, Mike.