Is Maserati GranTurismo S underrated | FerrariChat

Is Maserati GranTurismo S underrated

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by RedHotchilliPEpper, Mar 25, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RedHotchilliPEpper

Jul 25, 2008
    #1 RedHotchilliPEpper, Mar 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. GDRIII

GDRIII Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    George Roberts
    #2 GDRIII, Mar 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It seems to me that a lot of people are underating the California. Many think it does not deserve to wear the Ferrari badge. The California is almost twice the cost of the Maserati. I think the California woul be more conpairable to a Mercedes SL-55 than the Maserati. When the new Maserati convertible comes out the comparisions might be more interesting. I'm waiting to buy it. What a daily driver it will make.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. The Palerider

The Palerider Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2008
    Miami, Florida
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Photoshop picture I presume? Note the rear head-rests. As I mentioned in another thread, my dealer has confirmed that the convertible will have a soft-top after all...not the hardtop which was originally refernced in the press.

4. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Not sure if you've driven the S yet, but it truly is a very nice car. However, its still a GT car and not a sports car. The 599 tranny certainly helps in the fun factor, but you still wish it had another 50 hp. I guess it holds this car back from being upgraded from a very good car to a great car. Once you drive it, you notice its not a huge power difference between the standard car and the S, its there, but not night a day difference. Probably the most impressive thing about the car in my view is the fixed suspension (non-skyhook) its one of the best I've felt in a long time, just the perfect balance of being taut and yet still a daily driver. The exhaust is another thing that leaps ahead of the standard car, very much identical to the Alfa 8C with a bit less pops and cracks, but still very close. I guess the car is appealing in the sense that it hits all the right aural and visual buttons and that sometimes overrules the negatives of the car. Negatives meaning that you wish it was a bit more quicker and a little more sports car. When comparing it to its competition, SL, 6-series....etc. its a no brainer, I'd buy the GranTurismo S everytime.

Although virtually nobody has driven the California yet, I'm sure it will be quite different from the S, it will probably feel like a car you wish the GranTurismo S was.