New F430 Spider and disappointment | Page 2 | FerrariChat

New F430 Spider and disappointment

Discussion in '360/430' started by jimrodgers, Mar 17, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ndnbill

ndnbill Karting

Mar 3, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    William
    That does sound like a very bad experience and very different than mine.
    I just bought an '05 430 from the Penske-wynn the only dealer that charges admission and the experience was professional, friendly and extremely helpful. the shop manager even spent all the time I wanted talking about the history of the car and its service there--gave me his card and said to call him any time day/night or weekends for any questions. This for a used car--it seems Penske's penchant for perfection on the track carries over to his other businesses. At least in this case it did.

I also thought FNA did not allow sales of new cars into other dealers territory--anyone know of this?

you got a lot good advice--I can only give sympathy ---enjoy the car when you get it.
    By the way Penske has two scuds blk and white.

2. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I was at the Auto Gallery in LA last Tuesday and they had just gotten in a 16M in dark silver (Greggario or something like that) It had Carbon Fiber everywhere including on the sides under the doors. The roll bars were carbon fiber on the top and back with alacantra inserts on the front. The car looked awesome. They did not even know the sticker for the car since it had been flown over and they did not have all the paper work yet. It looked like it had just come from customs at LAX and still needed to be cleaned up. They said they were going to ask $40K over MSRP. Their showroom was so full of cars you could barely walk thru it. They also had an Alfa 200c in black there. You should give them a call and I am sure they are dealing on F430's.

3. jimrodgers

jimrodgers Rookie

Jan 25, 2009
    Ohio
    Wow, first I want to thank everyone for their opinion...even the one sided one. I appreciate all the posts and even though I am a new entry into this forum, I spent a lot of time reading before I made the decision to purchase. To try and answer a few of the questions that were posted, I live in Ohio but also have a home in FL that I just purchased. I have been looking at the F430 for about 9 months before I decided to buy. In fact, even with the research, it was still an impulse purchase. We went to the dealership in FL and saw the 16M on display. We were on our way to the Super Bowl so I probably didn't spend as much time with the dealer that I should have for such a purchase. I, like a lot of Ferrari owners, appear to have mixed opinions on the purchase. I purchased the end of a production so will I get the best produced car from the factory or will it be assembled with what is left? I debated holding out for the new F450 (or whatever) but was afraid of the waiting list. I debated purchasing the car from Ohio but the +over sticker was more that what it was in FL. On the other hand, I can't wait. I will probably only drive it a couple hundred miles a year but will enjoy the hell out of each mile. I am hoping that my experience at the dealership will improve the closer it comes to taking delivery. Unfortunately, they would not deliver the car to another Ferrari dealer so I will have to travel to FL, inspect and receive, and then ship to OH. The power cube warranty was confusing from the start. When I asked about it, the salesman wasn't sure what it was. I told him what I thought it was and he said that I could choose that option. After placing the order, he came back and told me that it wasn't available for purchase in FL. Something about FL consumer law??? Anyway, I didn't end up with it. My plan right now is to get the car, enjoy it in OH then ship it down to FL during the winter. I plan on keeping it for at least a few years and then see what the 16M market or the F450 market is doing. So again, I truly appreciate all the positive feedback I received and look forward to reading more about these great cars.

Thank you,
    Jim

4. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    this is why I only buy used Ferraris :)

Ray

5. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    -

200% agreement - it is post like that that put everyone on edge and ruin a thread - you really wonder where someone like that is coming from

6. $$$=SPEED

$$$=SPEED F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2004
    Portland, Or. USA
    Full Name:
    Depends who's asking

Total BS! CaLL FNA asap and tell them about what your going thru. Totally unacceptable. $275k on a car that is over priced in this market you shuld have people peeing all over themselves to assist you. FNA will hopefully make it right.

7. BritBlaster

BritBlaster F1 Rookie

Jul 25, 2005
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'd rather feel like a King driving a Ferrari rather than crap driving a Lexus though ;)

8. CV-4606

CV-4606 Rookie

Mar 20, 2009
    NC
    [​IMG] Don't worry. be happy.

9. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    That goes without saying. I wholeheartedly disagree with all that say that the product will make you forget a questionable (sometimes, not always) dealer experience.
    Things would be different if a large share of the customer base would have the guts to say: "screw you, but I don't need your cars that bad that I will accept any kind of nonsense, arrogance or complacency". Customer experience is issue #1 at all companies that have a clue.

10. Swiss Frank

Swiss Frank Karting

May 6, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Hi Ray, Jim:

I pretty much agree, with this good news/bad news story.

I ordered a new F430 Spider at list in May 2008 for July delivery, when (here in Japan) the waiting list was still 18 months+ and the used cars were selling at new car prices. I figured I'd either keep it for ever or flip it fast and be out maybe USD 10k, 20k or something and have the story to tell.

A custom color (later cancelled) unfortunately delayed the car until Dec by which time the bottom had disappeared from the market.

I'm really picky about details, so I'm glad I got my dream config. And as luck would have it I'm in love--its a keep-it-forever car anyway, so resale value doesn't matter that much.

BUT... I could have definitely saved serious money (USD20k? 40k? more?) by walking away from my deposit and buying a slightly used car. In fact I'd probably buy the highest-mileage car I could find and make a daily driver out of it. So that's my advice, Jim.

The car is very practical and well-built. Why not enjoy it every day there's not snow on the ground? Jim's post sounded like he'd transport the car to FL; why not drive it? In 15 years it will be as interesting as a 348 is today; how interested are you in a 348? How interested in a 348 with really low miles? And if you're going to pile on miles, you might as well get one a bit used to start off with, especially in this market. Especially in a few more months! :cool:

11. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I empathize with you. Although I understand the cheer leader group ("great car", don't fret the small stuff)_ and the "critics" - sour grapes and sell the car), I disagree with both. Unlike some, I actually do own a Ferrari, Lexus, BMW, Bentley, Mercedes, Corvette and a few others, and can tell you there is NO EXCUSE to tolerate the bull**** you have endured. Living some distance is sometimes challenging, but you do need to take the time to meet people (sales manager and later service managere) to hold feet to the fire.

I can choose where to buy a car and they know it. They need to earn your trust and loyalty not the other way around. Don't be in awe of a marque, they are "car salesman" and "service repair" people. I am not demeaning them, but elevating you to your rightful place as a member of a very exclusive club. Act like it. Not disrespectful but assertive. I have always enjoyed very good relationships with both sales and service. Always deal with the sales and service manager. Don't settle for anything else. When ordering or asking about your car, deal directly with those who make the decisions. I have always received comparable service to that given by the Lexus and Bentley dealerships, and although have no complaints about BMW or Mercedes, they are a grade below. Because I bought a Z06, I am treated like "royalty" at the Chevrolet Dealer, but they are not geared up to get me in and out in a hurry or provide the accomodations at the other shops, i.e. transport my car, drive me to wherever, etc., but I pay about $100 a hour less than Bentley and Ferrari too. Don't take crap, you have been understanding and deserve better. Best of luck.

12. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    +1.
    If you're ambivalent now over the experience, try a used 1st, as the new depreciation hit will make it worse.
    50k over for 16M is nuts. I passed on one at MSRP.
    Get a low mi used spider from some overleveraged pinhead, drive the crap out of it, then find a dealer who will treat you right.
    The warranty is mandated by FNA, so that story sounds like BS. You're not paying over MSRP, are you?
    BTW, in TX, deposits cannot be held back. Deal is consummated, if not, zero loss. Don't know about FL.

13. jimrodgers

jimrodgers Rookie

Jan 25, 2009
    Ohio
    Thanks for the feedback. It is getting pretty close to delivery day...they originally said the end of April so I will probably take delivery and be happy that I have a brand new car and forget about the value until it comes time to either sell it or trade it in. No, I am not paying anything over sticker. The warranty thing is the big thing that sets me off. On the option sheet they gave me it had the section checked that said power extended warranty but in parenthesizes it said not available in Florida. The dealer originally said that I could purchase this warranty but when everything was done and I was back in Ohio, he said that it wasn't available in FL. If I do decide to sell it in 2 or 3 years, not having the extended warranty will really hinder my ability to sell the car. So, now I sit, watch the snow melt and wait for May first.

14. yellow 355

yellow 355 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2005
    ocean city,nj
    Full Name:
    Ben Murphy
    Open the Dictionary to the word arrogant...