Spedometer issues....No! ....Not again !!! | FerrariChat

Spedometer issues....No! ....Not again !!!

Discussion in '308/328' started by 11506apollo, Mar 30, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    Well, I've tried everything guys...
    Sent Speedo unit to MoMa and they told me unit is calibrated and functioning perfectly well at 200Hz, re-screened its face and all that.
    Vintage Motorsports installed the (according to Ferda) correct sending unit.
    But, the needle keeps moving around.....about 1/2 the real speed.
    I noticed that sometimes it jumps up and down and then it settles down to no speed (even though I am moving..), some other times it jumps constantly. Ferda believes it is a wirring or contact issue, since the sending unit is new and the speedo has been checked.
    I am looking for things to look for when I raise her up on a lift (?)

... need to hear from you guys...before I buy an ugly GPS unit to check my speed in the Hill Country.
    Any advices from the experts out there?

Many thanks.

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You'd think a wiring short would go to ground...end of story........look for a connector making intermittent contact.

And quit distracting Ferda!!! I need my Art Car Ferrari, for May 9, 2009!!!!! :D :D :D

3. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    It just took Ferda a couple of minutes on the phone....no big deal...if he is running late on your 308 its probably because of that "frame-off" resto mod they are doing on the Corvette Stingray...
    What's going on May 9th?

4. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    Check the connections as Tex suggested. One in particular that's easily accessible and possibly related is the engine wiring harness connector located just fwd of the expansion tank along the left side. Should see the wide connector interface there. That was the source of my speedo problem which was somewhat dis/similar to yours.

5. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    How much to rebuild the unit at Mo-Ma? (They did my mechanical TR6 speedo a few years back and did a great job)

Dumb question, I assume 200Hz is what is supposed to run at?

6. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    MoMa charged me $275 for re-calibrating the unit, connecting it to their machine and veryfying that its accurate, and re-screened the face to 180 mph, and re-set the ODO to the milleage the car should have, based on documentation from F dealers on oil changes, etc.. One day turn around. No problems.

On the harness issue, should I unplug it, check all wires....spray with electrical connector cleanning solution, etc...? Wont cause any issues if the connector is unplugged for a few minutes?

Thanks.

7. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    Unplug and inspect both M,F sides. Look dusty/dirty? Hit it w.compressed air. A touch of contact cleaner might be good as well. Be sure to plug it in solidly.

8. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    LOL!

I suprised them all at 7AM this morning, they are working on getting mine together. No doubt the Big Players push mine off to the side, but 20 months for a tune up is starting to look pretty rediculous......

Art Car Parade Weekend is May 9, 2009

Plus, my red one was hit and needs to go for some body repairs.....

9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Sometimes it's a good idea to disconnect the battery when pulling the wiring harness apart, in case something accidentally grounds out....

But there is no active circuits in our cars when off, except the clock and maybe the radio programming if a modern unit....

No it was the frame off on the yellow Daytona that had me trapped, no TELLING what that Owner spent over there, but it did come out nice.

I really like Ferda it's just gotten to where he hates to see me, from the guilt, and I hate the bother him, as I don't want a rush job at the end......

I'll have clutch and brake problems from the car being idle this long....battery is probably shot, as well...

10. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    In Ferda's defense...he went back to Romania to check on his Mom and that delayed the work...plus he was sick a lot late last year....he is getting to be an old fa%$^t, just like us......lol.

Pardon my ignorance....but what is M and F sides of the connector?

Thanks Bud....

11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    He was not sick, he broke his leg racing motorcycles THEN it had complications and infections after the surgery, he could have died...

Any way he means the Male and female sides of the jack, spray it good with CRC ElectraClean Contact Cleaner then some moisture resistant Ignition Sealer, or even clear Krylon, and jam it back together....

12. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    Will do it Tex.

BTW, where are you taking your car for repair and painting on that dent on the front? I have a small dent rigth at the ridge of the passenger wheel arch, previous owner probably dropped the spare tire on it either removing of storing it.

I would love to find some litl'old Mexican fella with a little hammer , liots of patience and used to hammer delicately at inner surfaces of car skins to bring them back to shape. Then re-spray the area to match.....

Thanks.

13. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #13 BigTex, Mar 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Glad you asked, I was refered to an independent that was formerly at FoH..his Hole in the Wall shop is full of Gullwing Mercedes under bare metal rotisserie restoration, so I think he can handle it!

Surfboard shop next door will repair my front spoiler!!

That's really the reason I am finally putting a fire under Ferda, to get my red car into the shop, the dent looks like MY FAULT and it actually was hit by a neighbor while parked........

....with a HOT red head in it.......
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's a couple of cougars, right there, brudda!

Rachel my red head is actually very nice, she told me to kick Lady Valeria to the curb, a long time ago.......

15. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    #15 ducowti, Mar 31, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
    Or maybe I meant 'Mother F*&%^$!' sides :D Really, Tex has it ;)

16. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    Where are they located Tex? Phone number?

Hey man, I've been in the Gulf cost for about 20 years now.....raised by Italians in South America...so I am still learning a couple of words here and there, like "paw uau", "rolled up the side walk",...and recently "cougar"...yeap I know what that is now....

I wasn't born in TX, but I came over as fast as I could....

Cheers.

17. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It's over off Long Point, he doesn't even have a sign on the building, or answer the phone/FAX! LOL!

I have all the info at home, PM me over the weekend when I LogIn from the Leasing Office and I'll get it for you.

An FChatter has his Lamborghini Countach over there........I got thur by FAXing him my situation.....a real nice guy, definately the craftsman we need...he was doing a Facel Vega also, I ran across an article on that, I need to take him.

PM me your phone number I'll get the info tonight.

18. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I never undo wiring jacks they'll break for SURE on my 1976 -77s....LOL!

19. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Claudio, you know I am teasing you about Ferda right?

It's just sad Lady Valeria is right next door and I am forbidden to see her....I sent flowers, I guess she didn't care......

20. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    I know man....I'll PM you.
    Thanks.

21. Bloated Monkey

Jan 3, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Sorry, off topic, but I saw the art car reference and noticed all the Houston addresses on this thread. I live in Pearland and recently bought a 308. It seems to be running well, but I'd like to have someone look it over to make sure there isn't a time bomb in there somewhere. Do y'all recommend a place that's somewhat reasonable? I didn't see anything referenced in the Texas section of this site. That said, I probably need to join the local club....

22. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    Hey Tex. Hope you had a great w.e.
    I sprayed the two connectors with CRC, plugged them back and went for a drive. The speedo's behaviour changed! It stayed at about 20 to 30mph, probably half real speed..., but fairly stable. No more bouncing. This tells me I am getting closer to the problem. If spraying it ,changed it, next step will be to blow it hard with compressed air, plus more CRC, and see what happens.
    Actually, I was considering removing these wires from the antiquated plstic plugs (tracing everything obviously), get one of my EE techs at the lab to find me a good quality plug and re-do the whole thing with modern plugs. It can't be that difficult. What you think?

23. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Claudio, take a look at your ground connections, particularly the main ground strap for the engine. I had exactly the same symptoms you are describing and it turned out to be an engine ground strap had come undone.

24. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    Hey thanks !
    I assume the ground strap near the battery is the only one in the car, correct?
    Anyone with a pic of it, just to make sure?
    Thanks again.

25. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    #25 st@ven, Apr 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    there one to ground the engine too
    Image Unavailable, Please Login