A story you wouldn't believe! | FerrariChat

A story you wouldn't believe!

Discussion in '308/328' started by krisdisk, Mar 31, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. krisdisk

krisdisk Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2009
    Flanders Belgium
    Full Name:
    Kris De Bruyne
    #1 krisdisk, Mar 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello everybody!

My name is Kris from Belgium. I'm 29 years old, and I'm a freelance graphic designer and photographer. Last month I noticed a big billboard in my hometown for a contest to win a Ferrari 308 GTS, to promote some new DVD's of Magnum PI, organized by Radio Nostalgie, they only play music from the 80s. For years I've been dreaming on having this Ferrari, but because I'm not extremely rich I settle for a very nice and beautiful Karmann Ghia Type 34, very nice car, flat 4 air cooled type 3 Volkswagen engine... Anyhow, every day they gave tickets to the grand finale. And, surprise surprise, I managed to get a ticket! And to my surprise, I beat 149 others answering questions about Magnum PI :) So that's how I got my Ferrari 308 GTS!

Still, I have some questions and thoughts, I'd like to share with you, I have a good friend who has the same car. He already gave me some tips and tricks, but I've noticed there's a lot of information on this site. I'm trying to put some pictures on this thread, and sorry for asking stupid things... I'm a rooky!

So here are some pictures of the car, in a mall in Antwerp. Also details of the engine, seems very clean! Still I have some questions on details on the car: for instance:

Is it normal in US cars to have kilometers and miles mixed on the speedometer? And is the milage in miles? I've seen invoices (included with the car) that mentioned kilometers. I'm not sure on that...
    The mirrors seem a bit dodgy, they don't work, I cannot adjust them electrically. Can I adjust them by hand too? I haven't touched them, I haven't driven the car yet! :-(
    What does the 'slow down cyl 1-4' lights mean? They look freightning!! I think the fuel system is adjusted to unleaded fuel, but do I need to put some lubricant or whatever with the fuel? And what fuel is best?
    I noticed I don't have any reflectors on the side? I know it's been repainted, and the engine has been revised in 2006. But did they forget to put them back on?
    Next to the gear shift there's a red knob, I really don't know what that is, also there's a small red light next to the ash tray...
    The front bumper has holes in them, also there's a nasty crack. Is there a way to repair it, I would really want to fill these licence plate holes.
    Is it easy or sensible to change these bumpers with european styled bumpers? They look way cooler, but I'm not sure where to find euro front bumpers. Any thoughts on that??
    Also I don't have a spare wheel, there's a small black box in the front compartement, I think it's an alarm. Does anyone have a simular device?

Well... for those enthousiasts in Belgium, I will attend Spa Italia in Spa Francorchamps, you will recognize the car by its Belgian licence plate '308-GTS'... I couln't resist buying that plate, since I got the car for free!!! :) :)

Kind greetings
    Kris
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    WOW!

How lucky is that?!?? Congratulations... you must be feeling great right now....

Mike in Kuwait

3. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Sweet! BTW, those mirrors are NOT dodgy.. I'll take them if you don't want them.. They are newer and highly sought after mirrors ...your car did not come with electric mirrors so they are just bolted on. They're fine. Just adjust them by hand. Anyway, congrats. Great story..

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    wait, this is not the latest Nigerian scam?

5. krisdisk

krisdisk Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2009
    Flanders Belgium
    Full Name:
    Kris De Bruyne
  6. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #6 Bullfighter, Mar 31, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
    Wow. Well, no one can say that you overpaid.

I guess FChat's own Dr. Tommy doesn't play contests in Belgium. ;)

Looks like a U.S.-spec carb'ed 308 that made its way to Europe. With regard to the slow down lights, you should search this site, but the quick version is that the V8 has separate ignition for each bank, so it runs like two four-cylinder engines. If ignition fails on one bank, unburnt petrol flows into the exhause and can cause a fire. Those warning lights are supposed to advise if you if that is happening.

Don't move the mirrors by hand - check them out first and see if the switch works.

If it has a catalytic converter, you have to use unleaded premium fuel. Not sure how the emissions laws are in Belgium, but check before you remove anything.

With regard to the missing reflectors, when the car was repainted the body guy probably filled the holes.

7. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    What's up with that speedometer and the random number placement?

Greg

8. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Kris, I don't know what to say, this is great news Congratulation:)

9. krisdisk

krisdisk Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2009
    Flanders Belgium
    Full Name:
    Kris De Bruyne
    #9 krisdisk, Mar 31, 2009
    Hi Greg,

this is a detial of the speedometer. The car was imported in France about 10 years ago. Seems like the put kilometers in between the miles... It's because of the flashlight I now notice its been altered by hand. also the font is different. I guess I can live with that! :)

10. Toronto308

Toronto308 Formula 3

Sep 8, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Esteban
    Unbelievable! Congratulations.

11. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Way TO GO!!! If ever there was a contest a guy would dream of winning, this was it. Congrats!

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well let's get it all in order!

WELCOME! And congratulations!!!!!

Hmmm, 1979 catalyst equipped, so that's the SLOW DOWN lights they are tied to sensors in the catalyst telling you something BAD is happening, catalyst and carbs are dangerous, the most so of all the specificatins...

But don't worry we'll help!

Bumper is repairable its rubber coated steel.

Speedo well, what can I say...pull it as soon as possible!

That one can can be refaced, and there are actually three variants, MPH, KPH (Euro market) and one of my cars actually has one with both ranges around it......OEM! But I suspect is was a universal replacement part, of some sort...odometer measures whatever the original unit was so I'd guess yours is in miles.....

You can get replacement lightweight bumpers, you have to change the front grill too though as the lower edge shape is different, so get a euro grill at the same time.

That red light is an after market alarm usually a shame they drill the console but you can recover it after removal....

HTH!

Welcome again,
    Alan

13. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Those are manual mirrors but they have a tension screw under the bellows for the ball joints.

Side markers on North American cars are big rectangles, Euros are small circles, as noted someone removed yours and filled them in, investigate how....

14. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Front grill should be natural aluminum, not black........and the OEM air box nuts are knurled brass thumbwheels for easy removal, nut hex nuts...

Trouble is if you do not glue them on they rattle loose and fall off!

Welcome to Ferraris, brudda!

Have fun we'll be back tomorrow.......

15. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    So what question won it for you?

Lets see if we know here at the old f-chat.

16. effer

effer Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    near Montréal
    Full Name:
    François R.
    Félicitations!

You mean they were giving the tickets for free? Only 150 persons participated?

17. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    So , is the odometer reading in Miles or Kilometers?:)

18. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    CONGRATS and welcome to FCHAT!

Since no one has said it yet, 2 things.

1) The purchase price of a Ferrari is just the admission to the game. While your's is low (zero), keep in mind that the maintenance can be expensive. Find a good mechanic, unless you are mechanically inclined. If so, use SEARCH on here :).

2) Belt service :) - Unlike your VW (assuming my memory of the internals on the "bus" engine are correct), the Ferrari comes with timing belts that are rubber. While much debate has reigned on the time you can drive on belts, it is generally accepted that you need to replace the belts in order to potentially avoid engine problems if you break one (the Ferrari V-8 is an interference engine, and loosing a belt can punch a valve thru the top of the piston). If yours came with records, look for the last time the belts were changed. If not, try to find a mechanic to do a belt service on the car (which can be expensive).

Congrats on the "purchase".

James in Denver

19. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    To some of your questions:
    1) I think modern fuels are fine, but I'll defer to a 2V owner.
    2) Reflectors I think are US, not sure how the Euro options are for reflectors. If you want to put them back on, there are companies that sell the lights for sure (not sure about all the mounting hardware.
    3) Not sure where to find the euro bumpers, but they may be available.
    4) We probably need pictures, but some owners put "battery tenders" on the cars to keep the battery charged, could be that. Also, the spare wheel could be a problem if you want an "original", but there are places that make aftermarket wheels.

James in Denver

20. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #20 BigTex, Mar 31, 2009
    Found this...from 'glass North American Version.

IIRC Palo Alto Speedo can rework one to look any way you want.....

Might be easier just to swap for a Euro KMH unit though.....

21. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    One of your question is if the mileage is in miles or kilometers (is it then kilometerage?). Since it looks like a US speedometer with hand-laid km markings, I'm going to guess that it is in miles. Probably the speedo face had to read in Kms to get it imported into some European country. Certainly it would be more convienient knowing what your KM speed is when there are km speed limits!

22. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    Nothing like an instant increase in value! As mentioned it is a US spec car, however the mirrors are an upgrade from original that were eventually placed on the 512BB and the Euro versions of the QV and 328. By far much more desireable. They are electric, as your picture confirms with wires exposed from the boot. Your car originally came from the factory with a completly different mirror, although manual. Do you have a mirror adjust switch on the door panel? If not then probably no power to the mirror motor which would explain things. Otherwise start at the switch and work from there.

Regarding the bumper you can replace it with Euro bumper, available from EUROSPAREs UK at a fair price for a factory original injection moulded part rather than the fibreglass reproductions. You wil need to fabricate a mounting bracket, but that is a simple process.

Congrats !

23. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    this is a great thread! i cannot imagine wanting one and winning one! seems to me people that have no clue win cars, this is a refreshing change, and a great story.

:)

24. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Such a great intro to this very enthused group. We're all addicts, but most had to pay to play - - you took a chance and it paid you! Great going. Congratulations. Have fun with your dream car.

25. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol