550 Front license plate mount photo | FerrariChat

550 Front license plate mount photo

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by GaryReed, Mar 24, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    #1 GaryReed, Mar 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Does anyone have a photo of a 550 with the factory USA/Canada front plate mounting bracket installed?

I am curious about position of it on the grill and how it looks.

The necessary parts needed, appear to be available, according on this schematic on Ricambi.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Jettafanatic

Jettafanatic Karting

Nov 8, 2008
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    #2 Jettafanatic, Mar 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You mean zip-ties is no longer the accepted method?
    :D ( J/K )
    Alternatively you could use one of these ( won't look "original" but it does the job and the holes drill below the horseshoes and thus "out of sight) if / when you plan to remove the plate ( and pardon me if this suggestion falls under the "blasphemy category... ;) ):
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    seriously - why would you do this?

in MA we have a mandatory front plate rule. i wire-tied it for inspections. i kept the front plate in the mesh pocket behind the passenger's seat so an officer could see it clearly standing at the driver's window. got pulled over a few times for it. always told the guy "there's the plate - but there's no safe way to attach it without drilling holes in the bumper, which costs about $10K to replace, from Italy". the officers always were cool with it. one of them told me the issue was way more to do with making sure people aren't using a set of plates on two cars - rather than being able to ID a car from the front.

just say no, dude :)

doody.

4. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    It's a judgement call, but I'd go without it and take my chances.

We have a front plate law here in CA but I have never had a front plate on my car in the 10+ years I've owned it. In that time, I have gotten 2 tickets of $100 each. [Murphy's Law being what it is, watch me get a bunch of tickets now!]

That's $20/year to go without that unsightly plate wrecking the look of my car. To me, it's a bargain.

Besides the unsightly nature of a front plate on a 550/575, think of the cost of fixing that bumper if and when you ever sell it. It's going to be a lot more than a couple tickets to repair that bumper.

Just a thought.

ketel

5. Jettafanatic

Jettafanatic Karting

Nov 8, 2008
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    True, but with the kind I mentioned, the holes are drilled under the bumper, where no one will see, and which can be covered up by a set of the horseshoes.... ( which I still have to put on.... ( skid protectors) ).
    Cheers :)

6. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    There is a company that sells a front plate bracket that uses the tow hook thread. Its like under $50. See the Mid-Atlantic Forum Plate thread.

-dsd

7. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
  8. bobwass

bobwass Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bob Wass
    claudio-
    where might one get such a bracket?
    bob

9. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Highly recommend: Just purchased one last week for the 456 and it is good for the cost...as emergency for the cop who stops you, then back off. < $35 delivered.

rik

10. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    I'll be doing the same, Rik.

Barry