Whats a good touring 60s Ferrari? | FerrariChat

Whats a good touring 60s Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Arvin Grajau, Apr 2, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    I've owned a Boxer,enjoyed it but my next Ferrari I want as a long legged touring car,one the other half is happy in.Had a offer on a Bentley I've got and if I sold another car I'm cashed up.
    What do you suggest?

2. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Easy: read another currently active thread, a 330 GTC.

3. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    I should drive one a mates got one and another has a 365 GTC.

4. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    I've never been in a 365 GTC, but I am a sucker for the side vents in the 4-litre version. It gives it just that little sporty edge that the design needs to avoid being too plain.
    That said, the 365 no doubt has a lot of smaller improvements over the 330, but others would have to comment on the differences.

5. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    got a 2 day run end of the month , will look at both cars.

6. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    The 330 GTC has the "go fast" side vents, but the 365 GTC has the "go fast" engine.

7. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    My wife loves our 330GTC, comfortable seating position, easy to get in and out of, a trunk, smooth ride, and so on. Would highly recommend the cars.

8. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    The 365 GTC has better inside ventilation (with big plastic vents on the dashboard), better temperature controls, a double electric gas pump (single electric pump plus mechanical pump on the 330 GTC), side vents moved to top of hood with plastic grilles, and of course the bigger engine. That's it.

Both are powerful and comfortable GT cars, but the short wheelbase (2,40 meters) and happy 4 liter V12 also allow you to have some serious fun in the twisties. I have even tracked my 330 GTC quite successfully.

9. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Depends on your application and your size. For fast cruising on open roads, you might as well get a 2+2 a properly set up '60s 2+2 will surprise you as to how nice of a car it is to drive. They are even more comfortable than GTCs, great for long trips and surprisingly peppy. The 365 GT is the most comfortable; the GTE and America are the prettiest however, a litle tight if you are big or tall; the 330 GT is a nice compromise. If you buy one, when you are done enjoying it, you can break it up for parts...

Regards,

Art S.

-K1- likes this.
  10. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Sorry for the off topic, but a short question for Julio: what are the colours of your Dino and 330? Thanks.

Best regards, Peter

11. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    Ignoring race cars and if price is no object, the following are my suggestions in order of fun and enjoyment factor:

1 Steel SWB
    2 Lusso
    3 275GTB
    4 275GTB/4

If price is a factor:

1 365GTC
    2 330GTC
    3 250PF Coupe
    4 250GT/E

The budget list tends to fall in line with highest value to lowest value. Nearly all four have the same fun factor but in this case, the more you spend the more performance and excitement you will get out of your hard spent money.

Ideally if your budget permits, stay with an early Lusso or 275 as these are multi-event eligible machines that will allow you to run in a variety of different venues including some very prestigious out-right races with only minimal preparation.

In the case of all 275GTB variants the limiting factor is brake fade. Ferraris 1st generation disc set up is only so so and hard, spirited driving on the track on on twisty roads can see even modern pads fading out rather quickly. The Lusso when pushed hard seems to bleed brake heat a little better or possibly its the slight weight difference between the two. The Lusso seems to me to suffer less brake fade than any of the 275 variants in similar driving situations.

The Lusso is the closest compromise to a perfect road car and most race car like in actual feel on the road. Those who feel they are 90% GTO (myself included) agree that were it not for a few pounds less, weight, a slightly better tune on the engine, dry-sump lubrication and an extra gear... you would believe you were actually back in a GTO.

Just my thoughts... I have been known to be wrong more than a few times!

Cheers,

Bill Noon

12. mdempsey

mdempsey Karting

Jun 6, 2007
    Huntingtown, MD
    Full Name:
    Mark P. Dempsey
    #12 mdempsey, Apr 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The 365 GT is a great GT. It is well suited to long trips especially when you have others and luggage. the following is a picture of my wife and youngest daughter following our return from FCA National's 2008 (Toronto-Washington, DC). Note all the crap that the women had to have. Nearly all of it fit in the trunk. Big V-12, 5 speed, AC power windows, lots of room and about 1/3 the cost of a GTC. If you have had a chance to attend the nationals you will see that many of the 2+2 owners actually drive the cars to the event. Anyway, thought you would like the picture. PS I did have to install an IPOD connection to the stereo in order to convince my daughter to go!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    Great pic Mark. Do you collect toolbags as a hobby?
    About the same here, only girls with a lot of stuff and luckely still no boys around....Mine would prefer a dvd screen though.

Oscar

14. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    The Dino was originally Blu Sera, but I purchased it with a non-original baby blue color which I (and my family) like a lot.

The 330 GTC is "Azzuro Hyperion".

Cheers, Julio

15. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    Lussos are not my favorite driving car. Being a 60's car built on 40's technology, they drive "old" for their age. I owned a damn-near perfect 6-carb one for a few years. Fantastic to look at, sounded great, but for all the reasons mentioned, they are not GTOs. But if you want to go rallying, it is certainly a great substitute for something more expensive!

So I guess it boils down to - what what are your personal preferences?

-K1- likes this.
  16. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    I find the 330 engine corresponds much better to the "long legged touring car" concept than the 250. It's more reliable (in my limited experience), far more comfortable to drive on the highway, and requires much less "work" to make it go, as well as benefitting from A/C and independent rear suspension (on the coupes), and being much quieter. For easy touring (an important distinction), I would not advise a GTE, a SWB, a Lusso or even a 275.

17. mdempsey

mdempsey Karting

Jun 6, 2007
    Huntingtown, MD
    Full Name:
    Mark P. Dempsey
    don't collect bags have a source that makes them for me to forward on to tjose in need. I tried to set the stuff out like the old pics of war birds showing their weaponry. I thought the wmount of stuff was pretty amazing. anyway thanks.

18. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Answers are obvious, if "touring" means highway travel, day trips, etc.

None are what you can call budget, but are significantly less $$$ than the "collector" models.

A. 330 2+2 Interim (4 headlights with 2-headlight refinements)

B. 330 2+2 Series II (2 headlights)

C. 365 2+2 (The big honker, super-luxury)

D. 330 & 365 GTC's (2 seater)

A, B, & C are all 4 seaters, I'd guess around $100K, give or take $10K either way, for signed-check purchase price on a very good example, add $20K for "concours" or "#1 condition"

a good D will run about 2x the price of an A, B, or C, depending on factors involved.

There's also the 250 GTE and Series I 330 2+2.

Mechanically, the SI 330 has one foot firmly planted in the '50s, the other in the 60's, but is still a blast, albeit primitive in comparison to the listed cars. Relatively inexpensive, a really good one $80K-$100K

The 250 GTE will run near the cost of a D, and is basically a 1950's car mechanically. It's a stunningly-beautiful classic 250, therefore the pricetag.

Also, the 330 America: Very limited production interim GTE with a 330 engine. Price will run around the same as a good D from the list.

19. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "Note all the crap that the women had to have."

Based on my own experience, I'll bet your girls thought they'd packed "light." Great photo.

20. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Blackie- If you live in Australia, one of my prime considerations would be how well the air conditioning works. The old York compressor air conditioners can have a hard time keeping your interior cool. The 365 GTC and 365 GT 2+2 have a leg up on the 250s and 330s, but for that kind of money, you could have a 612.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

21. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    Terry,
    Every Ferrari (well most) have two airco's, one left one right. If your suggestion of a grand tourer is a 612 I think you miss the point. But then again I live in Europe where above 40 C is rare. Keeping the engine cool would be my main problem rather than cooling down me or my wife......
    ciao
    Oscar

22. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    that is what i'm thinking as the ideal car,the car I'm selling is a Bentley Continental S3 Flying Spur,so comfort and room is high on the list,their is only two of us.
    Also in Australia like the US we travel long distances,but are heavily policed so speed driving is out.

23. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    Terry,down here we have a great group of people,whom enjoy their "Carbie" cars ,so that is the area I want to hang in.

24. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    BANNED Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    I am surprised that there has been no mention of the 500 Superfast or a 400SA. Both would be considered the luxury long distance touring cars of their times. The 400 for the early 60s and the 500 in the last half of the 60s.

Jeff

25. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    I'd love a Superfast,but its out of my price range,thus thinking 365 2+2.