Just another opinion poll before I buy one!!! | FerrariChat

Just another opinion poll before I buy one!!!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by keberhardt, Apr 4, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. keberhardt

keberhardt Rookie

Feb 16, 2009
    marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    kenny eberhardt
    I love asking everybody's opinion on stuff like this!! I collect cars based on subjective beauty ( in the eyes of the beholder ) and based on long-term investment potential. I am going to buy either a 355 GTB/GTS ( no Spyders) or a 550 Maranello because I think they are the two most gorgeous modern F-cars and I only have about $80K to spend. I will keep this car in museum-quality, low-mileage condition for the next 40 years and hand it down to my son as a legacy investment. Which car is 1.) More reliable, 2.) More desirable, 3.) More collectable, $.) A wiser long-term investment? Is one more likely to kill me in repair costs versus the other? I'm hearing some bad stuff about those 355's with their valve guides and cracked manifolds and high production numbers! What's the scoop on the 550 Maranellos?
    Dr. K

2. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    #2 LightGuy, Apr 4, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
    I like the 355 for driving. Mid engined the way real race and sports cars are meant to be.
    That said the 550 is a 12 and lots cheaper to do majors on. Long term maint problems less as well.
    Less production = greater long term ( investment ) capacity.
    If it were my coin I'd get a 550.

As an investment ?
    Get a Boxer.

3. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Buy one to drive and enjoy. It will be decades before they are collectible. You can always buy a garage queen in 2029!

Dave

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

In less than forty years, gasoline powered cars will be made illegal. Gasoline will be judged to be in the same category as asbestos and won't be allowed to be sold anymore. So, if I were you, I'd drive it now before super cars are regulated out of existance and crushed by guys wearing haz mat suits.

Don't laugh.

5. Comprador

Comprador Karting

Feb 4, 2009
    Boston MA
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I almost fell off my chair laughing..
    I will bet you a tank full of gas that in 40 yrs we will still have cars that run on fossil fuel.. and I will probably drive to you in my electric fuel celled car to come collect. But, my gasoline powered muscle cars and imported sports cars will be in my garage :)

6. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    You can get all the statistics you want but in the end what do you love? Choose the most strikingly beautiful stallion in the pen. You really can’t go wrong. Beauty may be only skin deep but Ferrari is bad to the bone. Be happy.

7. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Do your son a favor. Buy the nicest vintage Ferrari you can find and afford. In 40 years it with be worth way more money than the cars you are thinking about. An be one hell of lot funner.

8. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Why do you care how much it costs to repair if you don't intend to drive it - none of them will be investments so just buy one you like the look of drain it of fluids and hang it on the wall - or just buy a fiberglass body shell and leave the real car for someone who will use it

9. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    neither of the choices you've offered...

better choices:

Boxer
    Dino
    308/328

if you can swing it,... a 550 Barchetta would make sense.

10. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I say a 355 and drive and enjoy, to me its a bit of a crime to have a Ferrari sitting around that is never driven, like an F50 I know of that has 600 kms on the clock....

11. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    What they said.

12. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Who's laughing? Not I.

13. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Yes there were more 355's than 550's. However there were very low numbers of 355 GTS sold in the U.S. So based on the Origonal question? the 355 GTS is the rarest of the three [Berlinetta/GTS/550].

My $0.02

14. keberhardt

keberhardt Rookie

Feb 16, 2009
    marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    kenny eberhardt
    The only vintage F-car you can get for $80K is a 330/365 GT 2+2, and those are not very fast, not very attractive, and ALWAYS in ratty shape! I've seen lottsa these, and they're always rough looking in my price range. There's a local 365 2+2 for sale in mint condition and the joker wants $150K for the thing!

15. keberhardt

keberhardt Rookie

Feb 16, 2009
    marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    kenny eberhardt
    Because I can drive a car for 50,000 miles and it'll still look like its only gone 5,000---I'll unhook the odometer and someday sell it to a jerk like you who likes giving smart-a_s answers to an honest question!!

16. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    How many more polls do you need each telling you your choices do not have investment potential ?

Excuse me I'm off to go for a drive in my 355 because its about pleasure not an investment

17. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level

And perhaps I'll forward this to anyone considering purchasing any car your selling...

18. effer

effer Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    near Montréal
    Full Name:
    François R.
    The best move IMVHO, you will get a better leverage financially speaking.

I would try to buy a BB512 or 512TR but you will have to put more money than you expected. If you want to respect your budget, why not bet on something very exclusive: Mondial Valeo.

If you can negociate and find one for 50k or less you could also buy a 308 and even if it is not a pristine example you will have plenty of time to restore it, 40 years in fact!

Good luck!

19. opus10583

opus10583 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Mark
    ...How the hell not?

20. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    investment potential = early 308's, I think they're the next Dino.

355/550 won't stop depreciating for some time, might as well separate 'drive for fun' and 'investment'.
    Life's short - enjoy it; Sheehan has a 355 spider with almost as much in repair bills as the car's being sold for - although looks like a good car. Any operating costs will outweigh the appreciation for a long long time.

21. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    IMVHO buying a Ferrari based only on its investment potential is a bit like buying a stock because you like the engraving on the certificate.
    Why anyone here would give advice as to which Ferrari to remove from the road is beyond me.

22. ace_pilot

ace_pilot Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    George
    I've made this point somewhere but I don't recall any particular model Fcar that is worth more simply because of the body style. If you have two cars of the same year, 10 years down the road, the 355 GTS will be worth the same as a 355 spider. It's not like the fiberglass 308 vs the steel 308 (different years) or the TR vs the M (again different years). Any historians out there?

Ace

23. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    ???

Daytona vs daytona spider
    550 barchetta vs 550

24. greglaw

greglaw Rookie

Feb 15, 2008
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'd bet on less than 40 years.

25. EndymionMKII

EndymionMKII Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2004
    Omaha
    Full Name:
    James
    One of the biggest things that I learned since I joined this site is that you don't buy a Ferrari as a investment that you can make money on in the long term. Personally I really don't think that the F355 or F550 will ever go up in value like some vintage the F-cars have in the past. This is mostly because both of these cars were essentially mass produced vs some of the offerings in the 60s. And when you think about it just about any exotic will never offer much as far as of long term returns when compared to "real investments" (stocks, bonds, funds things like that).

Now a Ferrari is a great investment if you plan on driving it to blow off some steam. Although that's just my humble opinion. :)