Why you shouldn't trust the Valet. | FerrariChat

Why you shouldn't trust the Valet.

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Lumberman, Apr 2, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lumberman

Lumberman Karting

Jun 24, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Will
  2. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    #2 ddemuro, Apr 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A photo of the vehicle is attached; I took the picture on January 30, 2009 at 11:57pm at the Intercontinental. The vehicle was on South Carolina plates. Obviously, I didn't know about the theft until seeing the article, but it looks like I was there only a few hours before it was stolen.

There has been some negative commentary on this site regarding the valet staff at the Intercontinental before. In my experience, they never let you park your own car, even when Floyd Mayweather came to town with a Mercedes SLR, Lamborghini Murcielago Roadster, and Ferrari 599 GTB. If negative comments in the past haven't raised red flags to any of you, let this be a lesson: don't valet at Intercontinental! There are several valets literally within eyesight of the hotel (Hyatt across the street, Embassy Suites/Ruth's Chris next door) and I'm sure none of them would turn down an eye-catching car, even if the owner wasn't on site.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. ExoticSpotter

ExoticSpotter Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2008
    Haha good spot Doug...

What's this 1 of 2 in the US he's talking about? Maybe one of two with that specific color choice and interior.

4. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    I was thinking the same thing.

5. ppatel9

ppatel9 Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    I worked there for 5 days during Christmas 06' of my freshmen year and when I was there, the valet did let ppl park their own cars. I can remember when a guy in murci. droptop came and didnt let anyone touch his car. So he parked it himself. However, they may have changes this policy since then.

I am sure that there are more than 2 of that color and interior in the US since we have the highest ranking sales. Also, I think he over exaggerated that statement since he was on the local news. Best of luck to him and dealing with this ****. Most likely the hotel/insurance will pay.

6. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    5 or 6 years ago I was driving a 360 and I parked it infront of the inn at the ballpark here in houston and gave the valet a $20 to keep it up front. He insisted I had to give him the keys for some reason beyond me. I take my cousin to the astros game, 3 innings later we're down 8-0 and decide to leave. Sure enough there's no yellow 360 infront of the hotel. The valet manager insisted the GM said they had to move it downstairs, so I wait and wait, 40 minutes later the valet and his valet buddy decide to show up. I proceed to rip all of the new ones but I had no idea how to take it any further. I don't know how many miles they put on bc I didn't know my exact mileage I just knew it was around 8K,but I'd assume they put over 100 because of the timeframe. If something like that were to happen again, what exactly would my options to be besides yelling and threatening to kill a few valets.

7. Lumberman

Lumberman Karting

Jun 24, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Will
    Easy, keep your key!

8. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    I had my 308 damaged 2 times by valet guys that drove it into curbs and broke the airdam----1000.00 to repair both times and they refused to cover it. I am thinking of drafting a waiver for the valet to sign accepting full responsibility for the car before they get in it.

9. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Many valets do not allow owners to keep their key for fire purposes. Many times, the business's fire inspection specifically designates the valet are as the fire lane in case of emergency and thus it would be unsafe to park unmovable cars there.

By the way, regarding the "one of two" remark: I'm sure he's using the Barrett-Jackson muscle car definition of one of two, which is to say that it's probably one of two sold in the US in this particular year (2008) in this particular color combination (white/red) with this particular bodystyle (Spyder), and perhaps even with this particular transmission. To that end, he's probably right - white Gallardos are very uncommon.

10. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    I hate to say this, but I hate valets, period. Let me park my own car, I'll pay whatever fee is necessary.

11. BAKY

BAKY Formula 3

May 23, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Bobby
    I have a dummy key that wont work...it wont even open the door....I park my own car and if they ask for they key....I give it to them :D

12. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    Great solution!

13. rush109

rush109 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Joshua McRae
    very smart! :)

14. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    and if you want to cover all possibilities... put your cell phone number on the key chain, with a note that reads - "call in case of fire"

I'll come and move the car myself....if I hear firetrucks pulling up.

15. digitec

digitec Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    East coast USA
    I valeted for a few years in a major east coast city, and I must say, I will NEVER valet my vehicles. The reason the valets keep keys is for the reasons stated above (fire lanes) but also there are politics involved. Sometimes, we would only have a few spots "up front" to park VIP's cars, but if Donovan Mcnabb came in with his car and paid extra, the VIP who tipped the least amount would have his car moved to the lot. If they complained about paying for a "front spot" and their car was not in the VIP lane, they would have their extra money returned, but only if they complained.

But the main reasons I would never valet are simple. 1. Positions are always available at valet companies, and managers (I was a manager for 3 years) are frequently under staffed. This creates an unfortunate situation, where basically anyone who applies for the position would get hired. My boss hired a kid to work for me and his first night he backed a Denali into a wall. He ran from the scene because he did not have a valid license (which I found out later that night when he was found and arrested). 2. The percent of drivers who don't know how to drive stick is 40%, but they will drive them anyway and deny this. 3. When valet's are really busy, sometimes they will use customer cars as "shuttles", driving 5-7 valets from the lot to the lane with SOMEONE ELSE's SUV. not cool.

I recently quit and I am involved in a lawsuit with my former employer. It was great money for my age, but I would never do it again, and I will never allow anyone to drive my car unless I know them personally. my 2 cents.

16. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Brilliant idea, thanks.

17. stolenlamboguy

Apr 7, 2009
    Doug, thanks for the picture. Wish you would have been there to take it a few hours later when the idiots were taking it.

Others, I was referring to the color options...white with red leather, as being only one of two brought to the US in 2008.

18. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I would love to be on the jury for this case. The hotel and the valet would pay big time. It is totally wrong for the customer to have to chase the hotel for payment in this case!
    I hope it all works out for you.
    :)
    BT

19. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    So..they have the people on camera, and they refuse helping you? That's absolutely horrible..hope some people lose their jobs over this.

20. Billdemart

Billdemart Karting

Mar 30, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Billy D
    That is so messed up....

21. Billdemart

Billdemart Karting

Mar 30, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Billy D
    That's what it sounded like in the video.

22. Billdemart

Billdemart Karting

Mar 30, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Billy D
    That is terrible.

I guess we should have known from Ferris Bueller's day off eh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MxPoxxt7n0

4:45 mark.

23. Billdemart

Billdemart Karting

Mar 30, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Billy D
    I'm with you. Even in my beat up old Expedition.

24. Billdemart

Billdemart Karting

Mar 30, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Billy D
    Have you gotten anything from the hotel yet?

25. stolenlamboguy

Apr 7, 2009
    Guys, thanks for your comments. I have never heard from the hotel since the accident occured. No apologies, nothing. The insurance company has not agreed to all the repairs requested, especially items they see as wear and tear. The car was entrusted to the hotel with 600 miles on it and returned with over 2000.