Stradale Modifications | FerrariChat

Stradale Modifications

Discussion in '360/430' started by stinger, Feb 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stinger

stinger Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    San Carlos, CA
    Okay...first post to this board, so here goes...

I'm expecting to take delivery of my CS sometime in April. I was able to spend a little bit of time in one during a test drive, and I'm pretty happy with the car in its stock form...however...I would like to do something with the intake/exhaust on the car to allow it to breathe a bit more freely, and get additional sound (for my own personal taste, it seemed a bit too subdued when in the car...even after the by-pass opened).

I've read through all CS related posts, finding mention of a Challenge type air intake, the Tubi GT exhaust system, etc., but I haven't really see any definitive answers as to how these changes have been received, and if they would be recommended. There was also mention of a Stebro 360 competition system which looks to do away with the muffler can completely.

I was considering doing the air intake, adding a Stebro "type" competition system to do away with the muffler and the by-pass valves (don't know if such a system is currently available for the CS), and trying to find some higher flow cat's. The other side of this is that I don't want to have any issues with the check engine light, and I don't want to go the route of O2 simulators.

I was wondering if what I'm looking to do sounds feasible? Any advice or part recommendations is definitely welcomed and appreciated.

2. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    Welcome. And congrats on your forthcoming arrival.

I don't think you'll find anything too definitive on this stuff as its always a personal opinion - for instance the ongoing F1/6 speed, shields/no shields, Tubi/other exhaust comparisons on f-chat.

I'd say you're main consideration is sound/power. I think you'll have read that most of the threads suggest little in the way of extra power from any of these routes, so I'd personally steer clear of cat changes per se.

Your sound quality/volume is going to me most affected by air intake and muffler changes. I'm personally going to drive mine for a bit stock, and then try and hear a car with the new Tubi system before I decide what to do. I might also go the challenge intake route that others here are trying.

Looks like we'll be getting cars around the same time :) I can't wait.

3. stinger

stinger Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    San Carlos, CA
    Thanks...It seems like it's been a pretty long wait, so I'm definitely glad delivery is in sight.

I'm also really interested in hearing what the Tubi system sounds like. If I was forced to find one gripe with the car, it would be the sound at idle...it just seems too "thin." From what I read in one post, it sounded like the intake could help in this department as well...but that branched into a discussion of whether changing the intake would adversely affect incoming air pulses...I don't recall if there was ever an answer to that.

4. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    There is something to be gained with the air intake ducting of the 360 – see attached picture of the 360 Modena/CS (right) and the 360 CH (carbon) – the CH is much more open and does not have the intake resonator - it uses ribbed ducting from the carbon piece to the airbox, which is claimed to restrict airflow by up to 30% because of turbulences (none laminar flow) – go figure – anyhow because of noise regulations the stock intake has to be more restrictive, but don’t expect measurable HP increase – the intake ducting change goes well with a less restrictive air filter – I have not done any flow measurements but plan to do so

The Strebo competition exhaust is interesting because it uses a merge box or exhaust crossover to even out pressure waves between the two exhaust lines – in theory this should result in a detectable HP increase in some RPM range – what bugs me is that the crossover is so far back; not sure how effective it is – since the crossover evens out pressure waves it should help to reduce noise – we need a volunteer to dyno and record sound

5. stinger

stinger Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    San Carlos, CA
    Thanks for the photo...that makes things a bit clearer. It sounds like doing the intake is a step in the right direction...then it's just a matter of figuring out the exhaust piece. Now if there were just some Tubi GT and Stebro competition sound clips...