Almost died today, and a lesson learned. | FerrariChat

Almost died today, and a lesson learned.

Discussion in '360/430' started by bizz, Apr 6, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bizz

bizz Formula Junior

May 26, 2008
    Redwood City, CA
    Full Name:
    joe B
    By far the most heart-stopping experience in my 16 years of driving today. Absolutely a terrifying experience.

I came up in the left lane behind a large rock truck today on the highway. It's a semi truck with an open top, none too happy about it driving in the left lane along a long left hand sweeper tossing rocks about. I get up behind him and he is acting erratic and tapping his brakes, sort of changing lanes and back over again. I gain a lot of space on him quickly and I can't tell what he's doing, so I change lanes quite rapidly into the center lane. Directly in my path in the left side of the center lane is a Semi-truck wheel and tire, laying flat in the road, with straps and chains attached.

I have no time to react whatsoever and I'm traveling at 75+ MPH at this point. If I hit the wheel I'll flip over, for sure. So I turn hard right and the car pitches the back end out. Somehow it catches at about 20 degrees from true north and pitches the car into a violent, violent counterclockwise spin. I must have spun at least twice completely around. When the smoke cleared I was headed straight towards a concrete barrier still probably traveling at 30+ MPH. Somehow got the car hauled down to a stop, mere inches away from impact.

I've got four smoking tires, a car facing the wrong direction of travel on the exit ramp and I may have just wet myself.

The truck driver pulled over and said "buddy you are lucky to be alive!" And I sort of nodded my head in agreement. He said that he knew I wasn't able to see the tire so he was trying to warn me and stop me from changing lanes. I told him I appreciated it, and I'm in a bit of shock.

I drive the rest of the way home in the right lane, car rattling off it's axles from the four massive flat spots in the Pirellis.

Thorough examination of the car bumper to bumper has yielded no damage whatsoever except for the rubber.

I have spun cars before, but never experienced anything like this. I am terrified of my car at this point. I would never have expected it to be capable of breaking so loose, so violently and so quickly. I have a lot of respect to learn for this machine. Wild horse, indeed.

Deep breath.

-Joe

2. m3power222

m3power222 Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Camas, WA
    Full Name:
    Wilson
    Glad your ok. Tires are cheap in comparison to what could of happened...

3. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Wow, reminds me of my moments long ago. Good to hear that you and your car is okay.

4. Blue4reF1

Blue4reF1 Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Plantation, FL
    Full Name:
    Blake Simon
    Wow. I'm glad to hear you are OK, though. Makes you think to always be aware of your surroundings when driving.

5. bizz

bizz Formula Junior

May 26, 2008
    Redwood City, CA
    Full Name:
    joe B
    I gotta say I'm really embarrassed about the incident. I've never had an accident where I was at fault and consider myself very defensive and alert to my surroundings. I don't feel like I was particularly inattentive today, but when I look back on it and reflect, I let my emotions (Why the hell is this stupid big truck in the left lane?!) cloud my better judgment and I reacted by changing lanes too quickly. My aggressive nature got seriously checked today.

6. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Good to hear you're still here Joe.

I don't understand the layout. How many lanes were there? I'm assuming 3 but two were occupied and you were barreling towards the tire.

7. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    Glad you are ok :).

8. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Glad to hear you are ok Joe!! :):)

9. Tupps11

Tupps11 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2009
    Wow...close call. Appreciate, learn, and drive some more:)

10. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    +1

Always expect the unexpected.

11. A.J

A.J Karting

Dec 14, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Close call!

Glad you & the car are ok :)

12. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

13. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    **** happens!
    No matter how skilled you are,no matter how quick you can react,sometimes you find yourself in situations out of your control.
    Prices for 430s are down to reasonable levels,trade up buddy ,you'll be safer with it's Stability Control.

14. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    I thought 360's had ESP/ASR etc?

15. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    Glad you are ok.You never know. There could have been debris in the center lane. A common mistake is to turn the wheel at full throttle then let up. The car will swap ends. No Asr will save you. I've done it at the track.

16. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    Thanks for sharing your story. Makes me reflex a little on my driving approach to everyday driving. Happy to see everyting worked out in the end minus a few tires. :)

17. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    Thanks for the story. I'm glad you and the car are ok; that must have been a terrifying experience.

-G.B.

18. The Ape

The Ape Formula 3

Feb 28, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ape
    Phew! Well, you're safe and sound which is all that matters. Thanks for sharing this with us buddy. Get some new tires and be grateful to be alive (which I can tell you are). Tell that truck driver next time you see him to wave his arms instead of swerving like a dumbass!!

19. mjw599

mjw599 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 30, 2008
    A Chinese Democracy
    Glad you're OK, great you had the reactions of a cat.

Was this Nbound on the 85's long sweeping turn? I know that one can be tough to see near the overpass

20. Testarossa13

Testarossa13 Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2007
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Tony Jr.
    My heart was racing while I was reading this.Glad you are ok Joe.........

21. BJMoravek

BJMoravek Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    Boondocks, Maryland
    You should've been a writer. I don't think I took a breath whilst reading the entire thread.....

22. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Glad you are OK----Sounds like you did a great job avoiding the tire and causing a major problem. Most normal drivers would of hit it...

23. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Happy to hear you're safe. I've had to run over a number of things in my years of driving that I never dreamed of.

It's scary out there with all the debris on the roads. Just 2 weekends ago I was coming home from visiting my parents and I see a white bmw approaching behind me fast, very fast. I was doing 75mph and he flew by me doing well over 100 I'm sure, and another bmw following close behind weaving in and out of cars. I'm talking shooting 3 and 4 lanes over and back over 3 lanes. Keep in mind this is Sunday evening around 6:30pm, so there was quite a bit of traffic. I just think this might not end well. Then I see everyone slam on their brakes and I think oh **** these lunatics just wrecked.

They didn't, a couch had fallen off a truck and 2 other trucks (far 2 left lanes) had stopped to block traffic and get the couch. Thankfully these guys were able to stop. I end up passing the white car and the guy is throwing his hands up in the air yelling explitives.

24. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas
    Lucky break pal, glad you are ok....now go and play the lottery :)

25. Fmax

Fmax Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2007
    Prague, CZ
    Full Name:
    Max
    From what I have seen of American roads you do not have a decent lane system where it goes slow, fast and faster. Everyone takes it as a free for all.