Paradise Deferred! | FerrariChat

Paradise Deferred!

Discussion in '206/246' started by 2GT, Apr 7, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Any hopes of an early Dino driving season here on the banks of sunny Lake Ontario were dashed by an ice and snow mix that fell overnight (more to follow today and tonight). Municipalities in this part of the country are notorious for dumping excessive amounts of road salt at this time of year, in hopes of clearing out their winter inventories, resulting in piles of salt at intersections and billowing clouds of salt dust after the snow has melted. To add insult to injury, because of temperatures in the 20s today, salt trucks contained a liberal helping of slag pebbles, all the more efficiently to crack your low-slung windshield and chip your wheel well edges. After much cleansing rain, and a few pothole repairs, the briefly-clean roads are now back to classic February conditions. Snow tires will remain on the daily driver for a few more weeks, and trickle chargers will continue to attend to the Dinos' electrical needs. There's always May.....

2. celestialcoop

celestialcoop Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    #2 celestialcoop, Apr 7, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
    We have that same dilemma here in Western CA...NOT! 'sorry,Fred; I couldn't resist. ;)

Mother Nature's messin' with you; she had to tease you with the hope of an early Spring. I imagine that you enjoy the variety of the four seasons, but it has to be frustrating to have two Dinos chompin' at the bit to be exercised with the first hint of fair weather.

I should talk. Mine is laid up while we replace all coolant hoses/pipes, intercooler hoses, water pump and heat shields. Then the radiator needs to be rebuilt, if rebuildable/replaced, if not. I'm finally mustering up the courage (removed half-shafts two months ago) to de-grease the CVs so I can inspect them & replace the boots. I missed Bella Italia in San Diego because of my procrastination, but don't want to squander the other opportunities that are all over the calendar in SoCal. Mother is being much kinder to us here, so I don't have a legitimate reason for my Dino being stuck in the stable!

Now, a note of caution. Last month, Sigmacars posted a thread in the 308/328/Mondial section that cautioned us on the potential hazards presented by battery tenders/trickle chargers. http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234135&highlight=battery+tender
    If your batts are up to snuff now, maybe you could disconnect 'em now & they'll maintain their charge for a few more weeks? I've installed one of those rotary disconnect switches on the negative terminal: Quick & Easy.

Patience is a Virtue,
    Coop

3. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Thanks for the pep talk, Coop! Good luck with completion of your cooling and suspension projects. I had the rear suspension done on my red Dino before the repaint, as well as motor mounts and lower ball joints, clutch, cooling lines and chain adjustments. I just want some decent weather before I forget what these cars are supposed to be all about! Fred

4. BluMalago

BluMalago Karting

Jan 18, 2007
    I feel your pain, I'm in college in WNY, no one here is happy. Not looking forward to the salt residue on/in my car, I thought I was done with that for the season.

5. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    PM me some time (during warmer weather!) if you'd like to come by and see my Dinos. Fred