Paintless Dent Repair in Atlanta | FerrariChat

Paintless Dent Repair in Atlanta

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by mperez225, Apr 9, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mperez225

mperez225 Rookie

Mar 24, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Manny Perez
    Hello Everyone,

Do any of you know any good/recommended shop to fix a door ding in Roswell or Alpharetta? Have any of you had any experience with http://www.dentsdings.com/?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
    Manny Perez

2. kayakjack

kayakjack Karting

Mar 29, 2004
    Manny,

David at Dents & Dings repaired a car of mine several years ago. It had many hail dings. He did an amazing job. He is an artist. I defy anyone to point to where a ding existed. I have gone back a couple of times to get door dings removed.

Knowing he is around and can fix door dings perfectly gives me some peace of mind when leaving cars in parking lots.

Jack

3. mperez225

mperez225 Rookie

Mar 24, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Manny Perez
    Thanks Jack!

I made an appointment with David for tomorrow morning.

Regards,
    Manny

4. jeffng65

jeffng65 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Let us know how it goes. I've got a ding I need taken out too.

5. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    I have used him as well. Did a very good job on a Benz at a fair price.
    Mark

6. ExoticSpotter

ExoticSpotter Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2008
    that's actually the 2nd time this week I've heard a referral for Dave...must be pretty good as the other referral came from a non-forum member

7. Zoom Zoom

Zoom Zoom Karting

Jul 15, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I had a lot of hail damage on an old Mazda 929 and he did a fantastic job fixing it, this was when he was located in Buford, he picked up the car in Tucker and drove it to his shop in Buford and returned it 3 days later. Fantastic service. He fixed all the damage and a few door dings and fender ripples as well for half of what the insurance company gave me for the hail damage.

8. mperez225

mperez225 Rookie

Mar 24, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Manny Perez
    I had David fix the door ding on my Jaguar XJ8 this morning and he did a perfect job. He does a lot of work for the local Bentley dealer and definitely knows his craft. I would use him again and recommend him without reservation.

Regards,
    Manny Perez

9. spyderman33

spyderman33 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    MIA/ATL
    Full Name:
    Julian
    Sorry to bring this back to life but I researched dent repair on Monday since some idiot dented the front fender on my DD last weekend in Buckhead... At any rate, I am new to the area and found David at Dents and Dings through the forum... Took the car in today and David was fantastic! He took out 2 dents (we found another sling ding on the bottom of my door) in under 30 min... He is extremely precise and a master at his craft... did i mention that you could eat off of his shop's floor???? wow, i have never seen a shop like that before... Very professional, excellent customer service and EXTREMELY reasonable... I have had dent repairs done in the past (mainly in Miami) and this was the absolute hands down best that I have seen.

Thanks guys for the referral very pleased...

10. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Has anyone tried using the Dry Ice method of removing dents?

I have watched this method on YouTube. It looks like it may have potential. Once summer comes around, I plan on giving it a try!

Ciao,
    George

11. mwhitesell

mwhitesell Formula 3

Sep 17, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I had David fix the door on my 5 series BMW and was amazed at the result. It was a pretty big crease shaped dent in the top and again near the bottom. I have no idea how someones door was the right shape to do that. Anyway it turned out perfect and I challenge anyone to find out where that dent was.
    On top of that, I gave him even more of a challenge because I had the windows tinted that morning so he had to do this without being able to put the window down.

Im going back today to have him clean up some dings in my truck.

12. kaamacat

kaamacat Formula 3

Jun 13, 2004
    Cumming GA
    Full Name:
    BobR
    I've actually done something similar, but just using iced rags after carefully heating the area. (The thought that once you have dent the metal has expaned in its surface area).

13. Radiopilot

Radiopilot Karting

Dec 10, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Full Name:
    Nick R.
    I have tried the dry ice method, it works as long as you can heat the area with a heat gun and then the dry ice... use a big block of dry ice 4"x4" or larger as you want the area as cold as you can get it around the dent. It is amazing that the metal retains it's memory to contract back, it's really shrinking back to its state. Wear gloves of course!

14. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    My plan is to use the dry ice in the middle of the summer once the car has sat in the sun and reached its maximum heat level. Good info. on making sure to use a large enough piece of dry ice.

Ciao,
    George

15. Radiopilot

Radiopilot Karting

Dec 10, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Full Name:
    Nick R.
    #15 Radiopilot, Mar 8, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
    George,

I'd seen that video that suggests you do it on a sunny hot day, problem is the temp on the car is not as hot as what you need the temp to be, this is why you need the heat gun... I too tried it with the car panel in the sun but the dent did not pop out... so I tried the heat gun method and it worked like a charm... Google some videos on that method.

Another method I'd seen is taping aluminum foil over the dent and using a cigarette lighter to heat the dent area for sevaral minutes (the aluminum foil is to protect the paint) then using an keypad spray can upside down and spraying it all over the dent (the can uses CO2 under presssure) so you're putting subzero temps on the dent similar to the dry ice but a lot faster and the dent pops out...

http://www.clean-image.co.uk/articles/removing-dents-with-ice.htm

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/820799/secret_paintless_dent_removal_technique_easy_and_cheap/

Nick

16. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Thanks Nick,

I have a heat gun, so I am good to go. I will check your submitted links. I'll post my results once I give it a go.

Ciao,
    George

17. dentsdings

dentsdings Rookie

Mar 11, 2010
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    David Korsen
    Thanks for all the kind comments on most of the previous posts. Keep the dry ice for cooling ice cream! I have been doing paintless dent repair for the past 17 years. The only correct way to remove most dents dime,nickel,quarter size and small creases is to use precision specially designed tools to gently massage the dent back to its original form (or as close as possible) from the back side of the metal in conjuntion with shadow lights. The challenge is always to access the dent and sometimes as a last resort may require drilling a small hole the size usually 1/4 to 1/2 inch to slide the tool in behind the dent after which the hole is pluged water tight. Failing that I will try and use a sophisticated glue system designed in Germany to pull the dent without damaging the paint (risky if the paint is over 4 years old) or too deep. Dent repair is more an art than a science. I have tried dry ice many times . The only dents that I have had success with dry ice is a pea size ding on a hood or roof on a very hot day in the sun and was not even worth the effort. Thanks for reading. David

18. kayakjack

kayakjack Karting

Mar 29, 2004
    David,

Thanks for weighing in. As I stated in post #2 above, you are a true artist. Amazing work. You fixed my Miata after hail damage like it never happened. When I got a couple of door dings - same thing. Thanks.

Jack

19. UIUC

UIUC Karting

Jun 12, 2006
    Roswell, Ga
    Full Name:
    Wyatt P Schupbach
    David - Thanks for the work on my Mustang last Saturday. That was the 2nd time you had worked your magic on that car and each time I was amazed by the results. I can't recommend you enough.

Thanks - Wyatt

20. Radiopilot

Radiopilot Karting

Dec 10, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Full Name:
    Nick R.
    David I'm not knocking your service and I'm more than sure based on your customers here you do excellent work.

We are discussing the possible use of other methods which costs very little to attain similar removal, I'm not indicating it will remove all dents and dings, but I proved it worked on several of my cars. On some dents I had to take the car to a dent removal shop that has the tools you indicate, in fact anyone can buy those tools and learn to do it themselves and it may take some practice once you learn the tricks of the trade as you have and they too can achieve similar results.

Dry ice costs $1.25 a pound and about 4-5 pounds is enough to remove several dings/dents and it's very little money invested and if it doesn't remove the dings then you know a service like the paintless dent removal is the next step.

21. dentsdings

dentsdings Rookie

Mar 11, 2010
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    David Korsen
    Your comments are well taken. always try something different thats how we make progress in this field. Thanks David

22. CharlesE

CharlesE Formula 3

Nov 19, 2007
    Johns Creek GA
    Full Name:
    Charles E
    where do you find dry ice these days? i have a few small dings on the fender lip on the cockroach and want to see if those will pop out.

23. kayakjack

kayakjack Karting

Mar 29, 2004
    Charles, the Kroger at Peachtree and Piedmont (disco Kroger) has it. If you are going to Potenza on Peachtree it is around the corner.

Jack

24. Radiopilot

Radiopilot Karting

Dec 10, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Full Name:
    Nick R.

Dave I'm sure if I lived closer to Atlanta I'd give you some cars to work on as they have dings that for years don't seem to go away... Yes... anything new to get the cars in tip-top shape is welcomed.

25. Radiopilot

Radiopilot Karting

Dec 10, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Full Name:
    Nick R.
    Another place to get dry ice is Publix supermarkets it's $1.25 a pound and there is no limits on amounts unlike dry ice companies... they have a 10 pound minimum.