Jag V12 | Page 22 | FerrariChat

Jag V12

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nickt, Feb 1, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    #526 Nickt, Mar 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Been a quiet week have not managed to get a lot done. However, the tail lights are all wired in and working and more importantly look great :) The LED rings are so cool.
    I have now started making the sills and side vents. This is proving a lot tougher than I thought, as I have to get it to line up with the bonnet and engine cover and get the air inlet pointing in the right direction - not to mention get all the moulds to fit in the chassis spaces. But now I am there. Once the glue has dries I need to do some carving then the glass fibre. I figure this will have to be done in 2 stages. Already even with the rough styrene it looks more complete. I can't do the other side until this is done due to lack of space.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Alex1015

Alex1015 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2005
    USA
    #527 Alex1015, Mar 27, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
    Great thread, I've read the entire thing in the past two days or so. I did notice a potential issue though with your design. Heat exchangers (radiators/intercoolers etc.) as a general rule of thumb work best when the air entering is high pressure and low velocity. An easy way to achieve this is with a diffuser type shape in from of the heat exchanger. I noticed you mounted the fans on the front of the intercoolers. I believe that they would work more efficiently on the back surface instead.

I know it is a bit late now but in regards to some of the vehicle dynamics concepts discussed here the best source is Race Car Vehicle Dynamics by the Milliken brothers. A fantastic source on most issues and one of the best places to start for ideas such as Ackerman and suspension design.

Specifically speaking, the answer to the Ackerman question is the ever present engineering response..."it depends". At lowers speeds Ackerman is preferable to deal with the difference in slip angles. However at high speeds it is not. Some racing applications even use reverse Ackerman!

In terms of suspension the unequal length double wishbone is a nice way for a good all around set up. I could bore everyone here with details but I'll refrain. If you want more information I'll be happy to contribute.

Keep it up, a great read!

3. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    #528 Nickt, Mar 28, 2009
    Thanks Alex
    I know the front suspension is not right so maybe if you pop over we can sort it out ;-) seriously i could do with help on that!

Question:

Can I use expanding Polyurethane foam to strengthen body parts? I am making the sills and the sections that run along the bottom chassis member are on the Zonda made of rubber, I guess so they can withstand bits in the road etc.. I don't have any expanding rubber foam so was wondering whether polyurethane foam could be used? Its lights and flexible, my only fear is that it would turn to powder in years to come?

Its tough going making the side "pods" and as its very cold the resin is taking hours to cure. I laid some GRP yesterday evening and this morning it was still tacky!
    Looking at the car now it looks more complete as the front is now connected to the back.

4. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Nick,
    The progress you have made is outstanding, kudos mate and I cant wait to drive her LOL!!!!

tex

5. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    I'll tell you what Tex, you come over for its inaugural run and you can be the first ;) You better make sure your life insurance is well topped up :D

Seriously though it does look a bit like it should be a fun car to drive.

6. Alex1015

Alex1015 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2005
    USA
    #531 Alex1015, Mar 28, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
    I don't have much experience with polyurethane foam especially in regard to durability so I can't answer that question. Sorry!

In terms of suspension set-up what seems to be the problem or question? I had a brief look at the pictures you posted. If you want I can run down the general steps you'd take in a suspension design in terms of sizing control arms, scrub-radius, caster etc.

And by pop over if you meant stop by in person I will actually be in the UK for the majority of this summer. :D

7. DKHudson

DKHudson Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Durham, UK
    Full Name:
    David Hudson

Nick,

I don't see why you should use generic aerosol expanding foam, known as "crazy foam" by the lads on site. It is used for countless void filling applications in construction and is supposed to be a permanent material. Frankly it is over used and frequently misused. But even if it does degrade it won't be very soon, you could rake out and loose bits and inject some more.

Notes:
    1) I'd buy something of a reputable brand, or at least recommended by your local builder merchant as 'exterior' use.
    2) This stuff expands slowly and beyond your best guess, anything up to 10x from start volume (some claim 30x). I guess at two 750ml cans to fill each one of those cills...
    3) Thick masses can take days to cure enough to be able to cut it back neatly, so don't rush it. Might be better to fill in two layers, picking the previous one with a big nail to get continuity.
    4) A lot of the brands actually like a little bit of moisture on the surface they are bonding to, so a light mist from a trigger dispenser might help (CHECK).
    5) They can generate a small bursting force if contained, so be careful if your GRP sections are very thin as it might conceivably bow the surface.

David

8. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    Thanks David
    I thought you would know! are you aware of rubber expanding foam? I.e. the type they use in modern bumbers and impact strips? I know when you cut it through it looks like a rubber aero!

My side sills are quite thick as they have to withstand being low to the ground and feet treading on then to get intoi the cockpit.

9. DKHudson

DKHudson Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Durham, UK
    Full Name:
    David Hudson

Sorry, never had to use expanding rubber... Your guess is as good as mine on the rubber.

Nonetheless the aerosol foam should be good option for the cills, or any GRP panel void you are trying to bulk out. I would stress that big volumes take a long time to cure (days), but once set you will be able to cut through with a hacksaw blade and you will see the Aero type consistency. Cut it too soon and you will find a gloopy mess in the middle.

David

10. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    #535 Nickt, Mar 29, 2009
    Cool, that's now finished and so far I have used 30kg of resin - and wasted none :) However i have now run out all bar a a few litres. So next job is to make some brackets to hold this side panel in place.
    It needs a lot of finishing, but it is very thick and strong. The air inlet pokes out just behind the rear wheel. I assume this is to cool the rear disks? I am copying a 18:1 model so have nothing else to go on.

When i can get hold of some more resin (hopefully 20kg will finish it) I will make the last sill and doors. I reckon that I can make the doors in situ, but temporarily bridging the gap between front and back of the car with 10mm MDF and laying up the GRP from inside the car.

To finish it i will hire a big belt sander and sand the whole thing down. When all the lumps and bumps are gone i will layer it with tissue glass matting. I believe there is something called flow coat which can then be painted or sprayed on which will give a mirror finish.

11. Jon Hansen

Jon Hansen Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2007
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Jon Hansen
    #536 Jon Hansen, Mar 29, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
    Nick,
    I owned a body shop in the states for over 20 years, so I will chime in. I would get a few estimates of how to proceed from the local body shop talent pool. They can give you many good pointers to make the body finishing process successful. They will be impressed and enthusiastic about your project.
    looking good so far.
    Jon

12. Alucardtnuoc

Alucardtnuoc Rookie

Aug 19, 2008
    Nottingham
    Full Name:
    Frank Daniels
    Flowcoat is much like paint but goes on thicker. It will need alot of sanding etc to get any uneveness out of it. Biggest problem you will have is with "waves", that is the panel may not be perfectly flat. Much like paint too, the better the surface preparation, the better the finish. Looking good by the way. Good progress!

13. Jon Hansen

Jon Hansen Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2007
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Jon Hansen
    Flow coat (gel coat) is typically used with female mold fabrication. (think boats for example) The flow coat is sprayed first into the waxed female mold, and then fiber glass resin and matte or cloth is applied over it. Once the body is removed from the mold, the float coat is now the outer surface, and is what would typically be painted, unless the flow coat was color impregnated.

Nick has made his body from a male mold, so flow coating would be pointless. It's time to straighten out the waves and imperfections with bondo, and then a primer / paint system.

14. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    I've given the body a bit of a rest for now. The latest developments are that i have acquired a new set of injectors, these are 275ml/min ones as opposed to the 400 ml/min injectors I currently have fitted. Whilst i am at it I will also fit the square later type fuel rail. Apparently this stop fuel vaporisation when the engine is hot. So I spent today cleaning the new set and getting the, ready for the FI hose to turn up.
    I have also made the ring that goes round the tail pipes, this was made from a tesco's value frying pan base, its really thick aluminium that i turned on the lathe and polished.
    As far as the car goes, well its been turned round in the garage and i have fitted the Hella projector from spot lights. I have also found a source for the high/low 51mm projector headlights in Taiwan, I am negotiating a price inc delivery for 4. They quoted $125 usd which is not a bad price - and yes they are "E" marked. For an extra $100 they will supply HID lights but I believe they require a self levelling system
    Regards

Nick

15. DKHudson

DKHudson Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Durham, UK
    Full Name:
    David Hudson
    #540 DKHudson, Apr 4, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2009

Yes HID Xenon lamps require self levelling and headlight washers. Which means front and rear ride height sensors, control box and levelling servos and a washer control so they wash every 6th windscreen wash. This would get checked at the SVA. Quite a lot of hassle.

David.

16. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    Hi David
    there is one thing i do want to do though..
    i want to be able to raise the front of the car from inside, i.e. to go over speed bumps etc.. I though of using two pneumatic rams attached to a little electric hydraulic pump. Any ideas - as I have to use available off the shelf (Ebay) components, I don't really want to compromise with ride height.

Nick

17. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    HI Nick
    The square fuel rails are not 100% full proof at stopping fuel vaporization when hot. [ i had this problem with my car and it had the square rails]. Jaguar used the air con. circuit, to cool the fuel, to stop this.[ air con was not fitted to my car]. I think you can buy an inline fuel cooler for the jag V12. as the guy i sold mine to said he had done this, I can make enquires if you want?
    Grant

18. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    Hi Grant,
    I should be OK I have been told that you can add fins to the fuel rail to desperate heat if required.

KR

Nick

19. DKHudson

DKHudson Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Durham, UK
    Full Name:
    David Hudson
    #544 DKHudson, Apr 5, 2009

Nothing tricky then?

There's an option, or retro fit on the F40 using pnuematic cells inside the shock absorber to raise the nose... and the Veron uses axial hydraulic rams to alter the spring platform on the coil over units to control its ride height.

Without using high end technology I think your need something that would move your top suspension mounting down, thereby forcing the front suspension down (relative). I suspect the looseness in the top mounting would causes vibrations and loose handling unless meticulously engineered. ie: you will be attatching your spring damper to a point that is no longer solid.

I could sketch a mechanism, but I don't think it would be pleasing in practice and might mean chopping your mountings and some chassis parts.

An alternative might be...
    Your chasis already seems to have a nice 100-150mm clearance, so it is only your nose spolier that is in danger. Set your front clamshell hinge on a raising mechanism, to kick the nose GRP up for speed bumps.

On a positive note, the nose overhang is very short, so any air splitter will not be quite so vulnerable... the longer the nose, the worse this gets.

David.

20. x19er

x19er Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Pleasant View, UT
    Full Name:
    John Lagerquist
  21. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    How about using the Citroen system? Although it's quite complicated, the bits will be cheap from a breakers yard, and lets face it, youv'e managed to create the whole car by yourself, so i'm sure you could make it work!
    It's coming along nicely by the way!

22. DKHudson

DKHudson Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Durham, UK
    Full Name:
    David Hudson

Nick,

There's your answer, a concentric hydraulic ram, exactly the same as the Veyron - although hopefully cheaper. Now you just need to get your cheque book out.

X19er,

PS: I'm ex- x1/9 owner as well! Very underated little car, but I shall not say more about the x1/9 as I don't want to go 'off-thread' here.

David

Ferrari Owners' Club (308GTS)
    X1/9 Owners' Club (none -ahhh)
    Jaguar Enthusiasts' Club (XJ8 - x350)

23. harmitc

harmitc Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Bernard R
    Any updates!

24. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    #549 Nickt, Apr 11, 2009
    Sorry Guys, life's been a bit crap of late :( Other half is f'ed off with amount of time and money spent on car and i have to reapply for my own job, and there are 2 much more senior people who want it :(

However, My sheet steel turned up, 5 sheets of .5mm 8' x 4' galvanised steel. This will make the floor pan, rear diffuser and the wall between cockpit and V12.
    I also have refurbed the injector rail. Its been enamelled in white and looks kind of cool. I have fitted 12 196 cc/min injectors these are replacing the 12 406 cc/min injectors so hopefully a gallon of fuel will last a bit longer than 1.5 mins.

I have also found a company in Taiwan that makes the headlights and am negotiating a price. They are Halogen Hi/low projectors with "E" marks and loom - best of all only 45mm diameter lens! These however are $145 a piece and i need 4 of them.
    I really like the GT40 lift system but also the Citroen idea is intriguing! will have to see what eBay has to offer.

25. magic

magic Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2004
    London
    Hi Nick,

Sorry to hear about the job stuff. Hope it gets sorted quickly so you can concentrate back on the car.

See you around !

Rgds

Maz