Discipline with your kids - Part II | FerrariChat

Discipline with your kids - Part II

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by PeterS, Apr 12, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    #1 PeterS, Apr 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm hopeful all those with kids (or have raised their now older ones) will chime in and help me out, as follows:

Today was over the top and my blood was at a boil. In getting ready for church, I told Chelsea (15) through her closed bedroom door to get going and I was going to start the truck. "OK, just a minute" was the reply. After pulling out of the driveway, I noticed she had an unacceptable pair of jeans on that sported a large hole at the knees (See the pic I posted). In politely telling her that her choice of pants was inappropriate for Easter Sunday service, especially with her Grandmother in attendance, she got very defensive with me. While reminding her that she needs to show me and her Grandmother a certain level of respect, she got more defensive.

Knowing in her mind that she was not going to let me win this battle, I continued the drive and when I got to the church, I told her to tell her GM why I was not in attendance. After she got out, I drove home.

In short, Chelsea is a very good kid. Good grades, good friends, etc., but she needs to understand that there is a certain level of respect that I am due and just because she rationalizes in her mind that 'God does not care what people wear to church' does not make it OK to disrespect my wishes as as long as she is under my roof.

So how am I going to react? Well, things will be calm around the house. All of her special 'percs' are toast until she shows the respect I deserve. This could take several weeks if not a few months. I will provide a roof, food, clothing and a ride to school until she 'gets it', nothing more, nothing less. No rides to her friends, no internet after 10PM and next weeks trip to Great America is not going to happen.

Questions:

1) In which manner would you discipline your kid under the above scenario?
    2) Am I being too rough?
    3) Am I being too lax'd in punishment?

PS: Lets not post things like "She's a kid for God's sake, give her a break"! Please stay focused on the point of the fact that I asked her to do something in which she was completely obstinate about, which I will not tolerate!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Sounds like your revenge will be very thorough and I'm sure will be as sweet as sugar!

:rolleyes:

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think kids have gone downhill since parents and schools stopped spanking the crap out of them. :)

I still have 10 years to learn how to handle Mia as a teenager. As two and half year old we're just doing timeouts and daycare taught us the diversion technique.

4. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Amen to that, plus a million! My Dad got the belt out when I needed it and I'm proof that it did wonders. Do that today and you'll be in jail in a half an hour!

5. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Im a little confused here Pete...

So because she wore inappropriate jeans YOU didnt go to church ? Am I missing something ?

I dont have kids so Im not going to give parenting advice. But the above confused me.

6. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    What is the "diversion technique?"

Oh and peter, is this the same girl with the cell phone text message from dad behind her thing? If so, how is she not still on double secret probation from that one?

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #7 rob lay, Apr 12, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
    this young of age better just to divert them from something they are doing wrong or having a tantrum. I'll usually divert her for something she likes to do like play catch. of course when they do something wrong they still need to learn it is wrong, so you talk about it a second before the diversion from the bad behavior.

8. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    I will have to agree with that one also. All I can say is being a parent is tough starting from birth much less than my situation when I get thrown in at the deep end 7 years after my daughters birth.

As for you Pete I don't have a suggestion at this time.

9. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I was mad enough that the best thing at the time was to go back home, that all.

10. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Yes. Her iPhone taken away and was sold the next day on eBay. In addition, she was grounded for two weeks. The phone was replaced with an el cheapo slider with a full keyboard and no internet service. That was a tough lesson for her that I'm sure she'll tell he kids about someday when they get in trouble!

Side note: We went to our local AT&T store yesterday and she was almost in tears looking at the iPhones....Too bad, so sad.......My parents never gave an iPhone when I was her age!

11. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    Does she enjoy going to church? Personally, if I was 15 years old and forced to attend church, I would be pretty pissed off...

12. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    At age 15, kids test their limits. Letting them know what is acceptable and what is not is normal parenting. Kids will resist seeing if they can push those limits and they will want to see if their decisions are okay. In this case, the decision to put on torn jeans was not a good one. Your daughter resisted your direction probably because her decision was being challenged. To her, to put on torn jeans was an okay decision as she probably believes they are stylish for her. I think you are going to have (should have) a little discussion with your daughter on what is appropriate to wear to church. Normal stuff IMO. Just keep your cool and things will work out.

13. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Actually yes and she is never forced to. I was forced to go when I was a kid and hated it.....I mean IT SUCKED! I was raised in a Catholic family and that was the Sunday thing. I had to be sick or dead to get out of going and it was horrible. If there was a camping trip or something like that in which I would be away for, there had to have been a church service to attend before I could go. When I turned about ten, my parents allowed me and my buddy to ride our bikes to an earlier service in which we would ride to church and just pick up that Sunday's mass flyer. We would then go to the donut shop until the hour was up! I'd then go home for breakfast and toss the flyer on the kitchen counter!

Melodie goes every Sunday and cooks every Wednesday night at our local church, as they feed the homeless and have an impromptu service before hand. If she tells me to go, I stay home. If she asks me to go with her, I go. If Chelsea wants to join, she can, but there is no forcing to do so. I have found with her (Chelsea), that if not forced, she likes going and that makes me want to go anytime she wants to go. I guess it's the fatherly thing to do!

14. scuba

scuba Rookie

Mar 27, 2008
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Hi Peter!

I know neither you nor your daughter, canceling a (long planned?) tour seems a bit harsh to me. Canceling standard "perks" is ok, but this is just a big case. She will think it is unfair and undue, which will strain you relationship pretty hard, I think.

Being quite young, 24, and not a father, my opinion on raising kids is to be consequential. In this way, they learn respect, to find their place and to accept punishment, when they have done wrong. The most important thing with this way is to explain them how and why you are consequential on a certain topic. This will be their lighthouse navigating puberty. And the punishments need to be in a way they can understand it and relate it to their misbehaviour.
    This is the hard way in education for the educator, because you need a lot of energy to be consequential to yourself, but you will be stunned with the outcome. This is the way my parents raised me and I think they have done their job quite good. You don´t even need to beat them up, which traumatises a lot of kids, because a lot of people are overshooting the goal and really injure them. Emotionaly and physicaly. Never EVER say them, you don´t love them anymore, that is like beating the crap out of them with a baseball bat. And no, I am definitvely not one of those "no rules, hurray!" types.

P.s.: I can´t stand people giving their kids everything they need immediatly and are afterwards wondering why their kids are such spoiled brats.
    P.P.s: "The above post just represents my opinion and I am not liable for any negatvie results" ;-)

Greetings,
    Chris

15. SilverOne

SilverOne Karting

Dec 10, 2002
    Irvine, CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Just had this same conversation with the wife the other day. We're expecting our first, so no kids just yet. I'd expect full obedience and compliance with our wishes from our kid(s). It's not just a matter of living under my roof, but respect to the parents and elders in general. I grew up in a different country, and was taught to respect parents, elders, and teachers, who are the ultimate authority figure. Never talk back, never disobey, period!

If she was my kid, I'd explained to her my intention on why dress code is important to me, grandma, church..etc. It's a respect to the people around her and I'd ask her to go change and not leave the house until she does. If she chooses not to, it means she chose punishment, and that is really up you. I have no problem with physical punishment. I got plenty when I was a kid, and discipline is instilled in me regardless of if I was living under my parents roof or not. This respect and discipline will carry through my kids, and onto their kids. Sometimes good kids act up too, because they're kids!

I think the most important message for kids is to learn to respect AND follow parent/elder's guidance and wishes (I am not talking about abusive parents..etc.). Until they demonstrate that they can make good decisions own their own.

My $0.01.

16. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    I for one am having a little trouble understanding why you took her to church and then went home. I can understand that you were pissed but that seems like a little bit of an over reaction to me. I don't see how that response would have taught her anything.

As for the pants, I can see how they are inappropriate for church but I for one would say jeans themselves are inappropriate for church, ESP on Easter.

17. scuba

scuba Rookie

Mar 27, 2008
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Well, but kids just have to be fully obedient 24/7, they never learn to make their own decisions.

18. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Good for you on disposing of the IPhone. Could you get rid of my granddaughters phones for me?

19. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    With my son, although a special circumstance, the very last thing I would and can ever be is passive aggressive because that never works.

He needs to understand more than anyone how to act appropriately........and he is getting better at it. :) I have to be teaching him every time I interact with him. The similarity here that he does decide to act up (read: not as a self-stimulatory behavior) and test my patience from time to time so I have to deal with it immediately (and not punitively either) because it can only lead to more problems later.

20. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Oddly enough, this and the other thread by peter had me wanting to ask you how you do deal with Autistic children. Thanks for that insight.

21. cicatrix

cicatrix Karting

Sep 9, 2005
    USA 1
    #21 cicatrix, Apr 12, 2009
    Reading this has me concerned and confused. What you have written sounds like your punishment is very punitive. You are acting as a ruler with an iron fist, and not a father. You demand respect? Teens aren't respectful, nor do they respond well to demands or orders. Yes kids need to be guided. Yes kids need to be told when something is inappropriate. But why are you taking all of these actions (punishments) for a slight misstep? Wouldn't a simple, "Don't do this again or else", suffice? I'm sure now she knows that next time she won't wear those jeans because you told her so.

What concerns me is that a little thing like wearing the wrong pants or a bit of normal rebellious behavior has you so angry that you cannot be in the same building as her. And it seems to me that this is how you normally react to any behavior you do not like. I seriously think you need to re-examine how you approach your parenting. I have never heard of anyone going back to their parents as an adult saying, "Dad, thank you for being angry and punitive with me." These kids either do not go back home, or they hate their parent(s).

Sorry for the edit, but I just have to ask.

Are you one of those people that picks out anything and everything you do not like? Do you wait for her to make a misstep, and then pounce? On second thought, do not answer that because of course you are going to say no, but ponder that one.

Btw, What does her mother think of this? The thread, the picture, your actions. What is her stance on your punishments?

22. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    #22 darth550, Apr 12, 2009
    By comparison, what he does has no bearing at all on what I do with my son. Eric doesn't have the same wiring that she does so continuously taking things away from him will not change his behaviors, as he will just use something else to self stimulate. Also, Eric, as an Autistic child, has no capacity for hate so I don't have the same fears that other parents might.

23. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I think someday, you'll be a pretty good dad, Nice, well thought reply. Regarding the canceling of the 'tour', it's just a Saturday at the park, which she has a seasons pass for, so it's not great loss on the big picture (i.e.: Nowhere close to losing an iPhone!).

24. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    My mood at the time did not fall within the appropriate temperament to be in a church. Over reaction? Not sure, but the timing of it had me pretty steamed. As for the jeans, they are very apropos in the town I live in (I wear them a lot at service, but not on Easter or Christmas and never with holes....Style or not!

25. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I'll answer it, LOL! No, between letting a lot of things slide (Choosing my battles) and being fairly liberal* with her, I'm not a nit-picky Dad. Mom is on my side, as she expects a high level of respect from her also.

As to the 'Demand Respect' comment, that was not worded properly when I started the thread.. so my bad.

*The liberal part of me lets her slide on what many parents would deem as bad behavior. Outside of flat-out disrespect, many of the 'stupid' things she does, well, I turn those into a learning experience. Kids do dumb things and it's not because they are bad kids, they just don't think about the consequences of their actions before they do something that is wrong or punishable.