Annoying chirping noise | FerrariChat

Annoying chirping noise

Discussion in '348/355' started by mike_747, Apr 13, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mike_747

mike_747 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Seattle
    Recently bought a 95 spider. There is a loud chirping noise (think loose bolt) that is most prevelant when the interior is cold.
    After the heat has been on for a few minutes, the noise is reduced somewhat. Happens over poor road surfaces. I'm certain it is comming from under the
    leather cover behind the seat next to the side of the top directly below the top's side frame.

Anyone know what is under this cover? It is shaped kind of like the top of an ice cream cone. There is one phillips head screw outboard of the cover
    about an inch inboard of the top. Seems a special tool would be needed just to get to this screw. Can the top be seperated from the body?
    I think I read somewhere that the top is bonded to the body.

The dealer thought they had fixed it, but later admitted they didn't and want the car back for another try. I think they just tighted the top's frame pivet bolts that
    were accesable and thought that did it.

anyone out there have this kind of annoyance?

thanks
    Mike

2. lotusdude

lotusdude Karting

Jul 31, 2008
    Fort Worth TX
    Full Name:
    Jake Miller
    check the screws on the door panel. I had that same annoying noise when I got mine and it still comes back from time to time mainly because Ferrari used wood screws on the metal door panel. Most of them just need snugging up.

3. mike_747

mike_747 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Seattle
    well it wasn't the door panels screws, though they were a little loose. The shop suspects loose brackets that secure the main hydraulic rams
    for the power top. Hopefully this is it and can be corrected in a couple of hours labor.

4. mike_747

mike_747 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Seattle
    Problem solved.
    It was the upper radiator mount. The rubber bushing/spacer had shrunk just enough over 14 years to be slightly loose when the car was cold and on
    bumpy roads, etc. caused it to move and squeek like hell. cheap fix, adjust and re-tighten things up. 2 hours labor - max.

all is well