Color Choice for 365 GT 2+2 | FerrariChat

Color Choice for 365 GT 2+2

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by pacpaldoc, Apr 14, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pacpaldoc

pacpaldoc Rookie

Sep 13, 2005
    Pacific Palisades, C
    Full Name:
    Tony Pfannkuche
    #1 pacpaldoc, Apr 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have commissioned a bare-metal respray for my 1968 365 GT 2+2 at a shop you've never heard of (which does great, proven show quality work for other marques.) It's currently in Rosso Corsa, which, though pretty common these days, was not a factory option, nor particularly attractive on so large a car. I've pretty well settled on Rosso Rubino Metalizato, which, though rare, was an option, and, as one can see from the example of the 410 Superamerica Series III SWB, sold at the Worldwide Auburn auction last August, and shown at the Concours on the Avenue in Carmel a few weeks before, works well on a large Pininfarina design.

My question is this: is the Paint Code provided in Keith Blumel's book correct and sufficient to get the right mix: Rosso Rubino Met 20.481?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Hi Tony! Glad to hear that you are treating the car to a new paint job. IMO red is the worst color on that model. I can't answer your specific question, but will render my opinion that a dark color is best for the Queen; something like a dark metallic blue. A DARK metallic red (AKA burgundy or maroon) is a good alternative. As some are fond of saying in this forum, just my 2c worth! Cheers! Ed

3. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    A local owner of a 365 GT, which was originally painted Verde Medio, had it redone about 20 years ago in a medium-dark metallic grey. It was a spectacular color for the car. The metallic red, while a beautiful hue, is a bit too sporty, in my opinion, for such a large and imposing automobile. My favorite, I think, would be the color of one of my 246 GTs: Blu Sera. It would also go very well with your tan interior. Fred

4. pacpaldoc

pacpaldoc Rookie

Sep 13, 2005
    Pacific Palisades, C
    Full Name:
    Tony Pfannkuche
    Thanks, Ed. You're right that dark colors work best. Scott Oshry's beautiful dark blue Queen (profiled in the current issue of Cavallino) shows how well dark colors highlight the PF design. Still, I think the Russo Rubino might work well, though Rosso Cordoba Metalizato is an alternative. The PF Spyder on the cover of Cavallino is, I think, in this darker color. I think I'll have the shop provide two demonstration panels to help in making the final decision. Again, Ed, thanks for your discerning eye.

5. DeaneG

DeaneG Karting

Jan 26, 2006
    SF bay area
    +1: Blu sera would look great with your interior, elegant and sporting.

6. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #6 El Wayne, Apr 14, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
    No, Ed, yellow is worse!

Tony, I know your question was about the paint code, for which I have no answer, but I'd also like to add that I think a darker color is the way to go. That deep burgundy shade (Amaranto?) that's currently on PF Cab #0813, the Cavallino cover car, would look fantastic!

http://www.barchetta.cc/All.Ferraris/events-stories/events/2008/concours-show/villa-d-este/concorso-d-eleganza-villa-d-este-gallery-15/index.html

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=231881

7. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    0813 is indeed Amaranto.

8. Dogdish

Dogdish Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2005
    Denver
    #8 Dogdish, Apr 14, 2009
  9. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Tony,

Amaranto gets my vote if you want to stay in the red family; I don't think metalic ruby red will bring out the car's lines as well. Out of curiocity, what was the original color?

Regards,

Art S.

10. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    that looks tough.

11. Leilani

Leilani Karting

Mar 26, 2009
    Hither Thither & Yon
    Full Name:
    Trouble in turn 3

+1 more

12. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    #12 tx246, Apr 14, 2009
    on the factory paint chip from the period, rosso rubino metallizato is 106-r-83 (the third chip from the bottom left in about the 8 o'clock position)

13. pacpaldoc

pacpaldoc Rookie

Sep 13, 2005
    Pacific Palisades, C
    Full Name:
    Tony Pfannkuche
    Well, you've pursuaded me that I should take the dark colors more seriously. I agree that Blu Sera is an excellent choice, but the Oshry car (13159) is so exceptional that it, well, retires the cup.

I asked the Tour Director (my bride) what color we should go for, and she said that the answer was color of the 250 PF Cab on the cover of Cavallino - Amaranto. By the way, Scott's car was originally Amaranto, with beige leather, when Chinetti sold it originally to Edgar Bronfman.

Is Amaranto a metallic, or can it be subtly "metalliced"?

The worst color for the Queen? Well, I saw one in Yellow with large Scuderia shields pasted on the flanks, and driving mirrors planted far out on the front fenders taken from, I think a mid-80's 280Z. Charming.

Art, my car, (VIN 11061, assembly sequence # 8, body # 10/A) was origially Blu Chiaro, with beige upholstry and carpets, a European model.

And a special thanks to tx246 for the Color Wheel.

I'll keep you posted on the process.

14. Trachsel

Trachsel Karting

Aug 8, 2008
    Muri BE
    #14 Trachsel, Apr 15, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
    Concernig the colour numbers, it would be helpful to have a look on the c/4 colour list, even the c/4 is some years younger. Don't bother about the colour sample, it does not match the real colour. Jacques

http://www.365gtc4.com/Reference/ColorChart.aspx

15. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I like the dark blue, myself. My car was originally silver (argento), now resale red. When I repaint it, whenever that day is (probably years off), I'm not sure if I'll go back to silver or go dark blue. The dark gray is very nice as well.

16. sam231

sam231 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2004
    RI
    Tony,

According to company records my C/4 was originally verde medio nijinski, a sort of lime green. It was repainted in Texas a few yerars ago in a color that is very close to Amaranto, a dark burgundy red with a little brown in any it. It looks great on the car, especially as the bumpers are painted the same color masking the "clown lips". Amaranto came in plain or metallic and was a period color for C/4's and I presume 2+2's too. Like you car, a C/4 does not do well in rosso corsa or any bright color, in my opinion. You might want to check the C/4 website www.365gtc4.com and take a look at the color chart.

17. daviddavid

daviddavid Formula Junior

May 17, 2005
    The 410 Superamerica looks great in all the dark colours people are advocating, so I was surprised to see its looks so good in Rosso Rubino Metalizato. It might be surprisingly good on your car too.

Maybe somebody could photoshop a good pic of a 365 in Rosso Rubino Metalizato? It would give an idea even if monitors are not ideal for this purpose.

18. daviddavid

May 17, 2005
    #18 daviddavid, Apr 16, 2009
  19. daviddavid

May 17, 2005
    #19 daviddavid, Apr 16, 2009
  20. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    #20 michael platzer, Apr 16, 2009
    Yellow is great on a Queen !! i love the car of Helmut Eberlein 11987, but he did not want to sell it.

21. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I would agree that it looks to be Prugna.

22. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I'm not normally a big fan of prugna, but on that 412 it looks fantastic.

23. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    How would a metallic champagne look? can anypost pix?

24. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Basically any metallic works well, or very dark solid colours. Many have been painted red, it kills all the surface sculpture and looks out of place. If you're going the whole way, I'd paint it dark blue or dark grey, both in metallic. These colours make the car look very stylish and elegant.

25. daviddavid

May 17, 2005
    #25 daviddavid, Apr 18, 2009
    365 California 10077 from "Original Ferrari V12"

The scan below didn't pick up the deepness of the red. Dont know which Red it is?

Looks very nice in the original.

EDIT : Its 10077 PF Number 99657 Rosso Rubino over tan leather, sold new to Samuel Goldstein, USA

Rossa Rubino appears to be a darker red than in the OP's original pic of 410 (see next pic which I think is the same car)