The Holey Daytona | Page 8 | FerrariChat

The Holey Daytona

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Wheels1, Jan 27, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #176 Wheels1, Apr 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have had around the same amount of MGB roadsters Randy. Good easy cars to work on and cheap parts too.
    Matt. It was one of the last ones, but i not an LE, I did have a couple of LE MGB's over the years, pic of the last one below with alloy wheels.
    Grant
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #177 Wheels1, Apr 9, 2009
    Just been up to see Mike and Rob. Most of the engine is all in bags in Robs work shop [ pic's to follow] and the main block has been sent off to be checked for tolerance's, but Rob says its not bad, so that's good news and will not need a full rebuild but more of an overhaul and replace any worn parts, rings, valves, etc.
    Mike has been busy making the frame for the boot lid.
    1st pic shows the frame being made.
    2nd shows the barrier tape on it to stop corrosion between the two surfaces.
    3rd show the new original Spyder lid being prepared.
    4th shows it fitted to the car.

3. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Hi Grant

Will you run the car on unleaded or leaded (unleaded with additive)?

Matt

4. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Hi Matt
    It will be with additive as i have no leaded pumps within 40 miles of me as far as i know!
    Have a good weekend
    Grant

5. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Hi Grant

Happy Easter to you too - might give the red beastie a run down to Goodwood on Monday to watch the spring sprint if the weather in reasonable

Matt

6. Randy Forbes

Randy Forbes Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2006
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Sports Cars Plus,LLC
    Grant,

It's actually starting to look like a car again; that must renew your enthusiasm?

Have you been given any idea of an approximate completion date, like this Fall, next Spring, anything?

We're all excited for you, and always looking forward to more pictures.

Randy

7. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #182 Wheels1, Apr 10, 2009
    Yes it's all go at the moment Randy, no date but i don't think it will be this year.
    As promised here's some pic's of the engine strip down, the last two i have put in to show the craftsman's ship of Rob who doing on this E-type Jaguar for Mike brother which was a complete rust bucket to start with.
    Grant

8. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    #183 IanB, Apr 11, 2009
    Grant,

just looking at your engine photos I have to suspect that you're going to need to freshen up your bores and your pistons will be worn.

If so, do yourself a big favour a replace the original pistons with JE forged 10:1 pistons. www.jepistons.com About US$125 each from memory, including pins and rings.

They're lighter, stronger and allow you to run a tighter piston to bore clearance. Adds about 30bhp and makes the engine even nicer. The cooling system copes perfectly, there is no downside to the upgrade.

Don't forget to replace the sodium cored exhaust valves with solid stem valves. GT Car Parts in Arizona are a good source +1 623-780-2200. They also do a complete gasket and seal kit for the engine, which is much better value than you'll find from the usual parts sources in the UK.

Regards,

Ian

9. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    wow Ian
    Thanks for the great info and contacts, i will need some of them for sure. Rob did look at the pistons and bores and thought they where ok but they are being checked just to be sure. If the info i have is correct they where replaced with the engine rebuild about 16,000 miles ago but still that was a long time ago, so i will just have to wait and see.
    Grant

10. premieram

premieram Karting

Jun 10, 2004
    All over the place
    Full Name:
    Joseph T. Seminetta
    So why stop there. Couldnt he also get some "free" horsepower" by titanium valves, stems and spings? Lower weight, higher strength........

11. 4za

4za Formula 3

Feb 18, 2005
    Edmonds, WA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The car's coming out great! I just read the entire thread. Thanks for keeping us in the loop. :)

Can't wait to see it finished.

12. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Surely would only get more hp if changed cams to more aggressive profiles to make use of this lighter valve train, ie. hp at higher revs.

Pete

13. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #188 Wheels1, Apr 16, 2009
    Thanks for the kind comments 4Za, Yes it's getting close to painting.

Pete i am not after max power, it was just an great option if i had to replace the pistons, as it happens i have heard back from Rob with the good new on the engine, he had a phone call today saying pistons and bores are all GOOD. Not much wear at all and well within tolerances, just a clean of skirt required !
    I will have the full low down tomorrow when Rob has the full report.

I received a few more pic's from Mike today attached. the second one shows the button on the door skin under the handle that Mike is proud of as the old door skin did not have this.

If anyone wants a rusty rear clip, i have it on e-bay at the moment, would you believe someone wants to turn it in a seat!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=260392424502

Grant

14. DieCast MotorSports

DieCast MotorSports Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2004
    Michigan, USA
  15. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #190 Wheels1, Apr 23, 2009
  16. Randy Forbes

Randy Forbes Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2006
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Sports Cars Plus,LLC
    Grant, when this is all done, what besides the VIN # will differentiate your car from one that was originally built by Scaglietti?

It seems that all the proper strengthening is being applied to your car, and should be as good as the genuine article.

This has been a fascinating journey, just from the sidelines, I can't imagine it from your standpoint (and I don't even want to think about the labour charges...). ;)

17. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    A fascinating journey indeed! I've been watching this silently with a lot of respect. It's a real joy to see something being done right, particularly when it's a Daytona Spyder. Much respect to you for turning a "Holey Daytona" into one solid piece of automotive art.

18. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #193 Wheels1, May 13, 2009
    Hi Randy
    It should be pretty much the same as the original Spyder when done. [ certainly one of the most structurally accurate conversions if not the most structurally accurate]? With most conversions it is easy to tell as soon as you lift the bonnet.

Thanks for the kind words "The Cheddar" It's starting to get scary now, as before it was just rusty bit's of metal. I have to keep pinching myself when i think of what i will actually own.

A few more pic's from Mike. He has been busy leading the body work of the car. No plastic filler here, just the way Ferrari used to do it.
    Grant

19. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    How can I not be in total awe of this project?

Have you decided on a colour yet?

20. bighitter2

bighitter2 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    Hi Grant, beautiful job on your daytona, i have a rebodied daytona also (thread posted on f-chat) what are you going to do with the chrome moldings on top of the doors? if mike is going to fab them let me know i would be in for a set..thank you, great thread Chuck Coli U.S.A.

21. Enzo Anselmo Ferrari

Enzo Anselmo Ferrari Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    France
    Hi! Is it a true SPYDER Daytona?

22. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    Read Post #1 in this thread for the answer

23. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    #198 246tasman, May 14, 2009
    Last edited: May 14, 2009
    You mention you're able to re-use the pistons. Are you doing anything with the valve gear? We dyno'd a Daytona engine that had been stood for a while (having checked the bottom end bearings) and found it lost power above 4500rpm. We replaced the valve springs and it then ran pefectly. I would be very tempted to replace the sodium filled valves at the same time.

PS I've always wondered what the title of this thread refers to. Post #1 says:

''The Holey Daytona

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the story so far of the Holly Daytona [mine] ''

Are we talking Holey or Holly or both?

24. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    HI Tasman.
    The title was a a bit of a play on words [tickled my sense of humor at the time, as to me it was both Holly and had holes]
    RE engine question, some of the parts to be changed are:-
    Rods and small end bushes.
    new valves and guides, euro spares sell the solid s.s. valves. re cutting of seats.
    polish or regrind crank
    both cylinder heads are perfect, each were checked in 45 points and found to be less than half a mm out. [ good news]

Hi Chuck.
    E.G. Autokraft actually got the correct Spyder molding for the top of the side windows! but Mike managed to bend one when removing them. I am not sure if it can be corrected or if he will make some new ones, but if he has to make new one's, i will ask him to make some extra.

As for the color Jack you will have to wait and see [ so i don't get talked into changing my mind ] But what i will say is, it will be a colour i want and love and not a choice based on the resale value.

Grant

25. DieCast MotorSports

DieCast MotorSports Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2004
    Michigan, USA
    Grant,

It's coming along nicely. Getting close to paint, can't wait to see it coated in whatever color you choose.