Reverse in my Mondial Thaaaaaaaaaanx | FerrariChat

Reverse in my Mondial Thaaaaaaaaaanx

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by jamesdean, Apr 15, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jamesdean

jamesdean Rookie

Mar 22, 2009
    Horseheads N.Y
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Like i said i am away on vacation called my friend back and he took the car for a spin and said reverse works absolutely perfect,just push the shifter down!!!!!!
    The nice thing is the dealer i bought the car from and the transporter and my buddy said theres a problem with reverse but theres none at all.

Thanks guys im sure the next thing i run into probably wont be as easy to overcome but with your help again in the future "will" tackle

Thanks Dave

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I had the same trouble bringing my first one home.....I was stuck at a Wendy's 'till we figured it out.....

3. mcneilljustin

mcneilljustin Rookie

Jan 16, 2009
    Same here, I was two blocks from the dealer at a Wawa.. Took me almost 15 minutes..

4. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    I was so excited waiting for delivery of my Mondial that I downloaded the manual and pretty much had it memorized. Just in case I don't have it memorized, I carry it around on my pda/phone in PDF form.

Dave, if your car didn't come with the printed manuals (they seem to get lost a lot during ownership changes) you can find download links on this site or for free from Ferrari's web site. (Create an account on their owner's section.) There are also electronic versions of the repair manual available for download (not on Ferrari's site).

--Jeremy

5. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    I am not sure if you need to push down to select reverse in a perfectly functioning mondial t, but it would be a good idea. Our 15 year old t will go into reverse without pressing down and with some forward motion. Slick as butter. On a few occasions I have inadvertently selected reverse thinking up left was first like nearly every other car on the planet.

6. ZiFF

ZiFF Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2009
    Actually, on a perfectly functioning Mondial, you do have to push down to get into reverse.

If your Mondial is not perfectly functioning (i.e., the reverse lockout tab is so worn down so it no longer performs its function), you can shift into reverse without pressing down and with some forward motion, slick as butter.

7. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Ah Hah! I should probably get that fixed.
    thanks, dave

8. ZiFF

ZiFF Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2009
    It's easy to fix, just take off the shifter gate and you'll see where the tab is worn down.

Take it to a decent welding shop and they can build it back up with some weld in a few minutes for $20 or so. You (or they) can then grind it back down to shape.

It's a good idea to have it properly in place, you never know when someone may try to shift it from first to reverse at 20 mph!

9. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #9 hank sound, Apr 16, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
    Well boys & girls, I guess my Rachel is going into reverse in the proper fashion, meaning, I must push down on the lever. Not a big deal, me thinks.

Cheers,

Hank

10. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    I find this kind of funny as I've only ever driven Italian cars, virtulally everyone of which is a 'push down for reverse' and when I had to drive a housemate's car once I nearly shoved the lever through the floor before I discovered to had to lift some little ring-thingy 'up' to get into reverse.