Just got Verizon FiOS - What a let down! | FerrariChat

Just got Verizon FiOS - What a let down!

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by RushM3, Apr 14, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RushM3

RushM3 Karting

Ok, so I know this is a tad off-topic, but it applies to NYC as Verizon is just starting to install FiOS in a number of buildings. And I've probably spent about as much on my home theater as a 355.

I just made the switch from Time Warner to FiOS for TV & Internet based on the tremendous buzz around it, and I'm pretty disappointed. Picture quality on the HD channels are a fair bit worse - the colors are not as rich as with Time Warner, the contrast falls short and there are a ton of motion artifacts.

Ok, so not all of it is bad. The internet is noticeably faster on my computer with a direct connection - I'm pulling 20mpbs download/20mbps upload. But my computer that's set up wirelessly pulls half that with inconsistency.

Fortunately Verizon's customer service has been excellent and they will be back in to try to optimize the picture quality and wireless internet.

Has anyone else made the switch and noticed the same?

2. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    If you want pain-get optimum tripple play-4 times out and they still couldnt get it to work properly and I only have it hooked up to one TV.

3. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    Oy don't get me started on FiOS. The only thing better than Optimum is the # of HD channels, and the most aggravating thing about FiOS is the guide interface. I want to punch somebody who designed or approved it.

4. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    Thanks for the post,

I'm on the other coast and was considering switching too. Good thing I didn't.

Used to have VOOM, best HD picture I have ever seen, too bad they are gone :(

5. CRAIGF355

CRAIGF355 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    CRAIG ANDERSON
    That's ashame I love it. Went from comcast to Verizon Fios and it's super compared to anybody around here that is direct TV, comcast and that is it. I don't know about time warner. But hands down there by far the best in central NJ and the Philly area. And the price is even better. Some people would kill to have it around here not everyone has it yet but they will soon. Sorry to hear about that because I seen a Differents right away when I changed. The Picture on some Hd channels are just as good as Blu- Ray and even beats some blu-ray dvds picture. There may be something wrong.

6. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    Went from Comcast to FiOS, VAST Improvement. I like it a lot more, better selection and better picture.

7. RushM3

RushM3 Karting

Looks like there are some mixed feelings. I'll admit, the one thing about FiOS TV I've noticed that is a significant improvement over Time Warner is the audio. Sadly the video still needs to catch up, IMO.

I have a feeling a lot of the video issues resides with the hardware, the Motorola box. Think I'll get a small explosion if I plug the FiOS cable into Time Warner's Scientific Atlanta box? I'm tempted to try it...

8. Nsx Pilot

Nsx Pilot Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2006
    I am waiting for Fios to hit my area but right now I have Optimum and with the Boost package I am getting 20MB DL no problem but the upload is significantly slower. There HD picture isnt too bad and voice is voice to me. I stay with them because of the no contract policy and when ever another provider ups the anty I go right back to them and they match it.

9. darkalley

darkalley Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    i love fios but hate the interactive menus. box is retarded.

10. er72

er72 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Roslyn Harbor, NY
    Full Name:
    Eugene
    LOVE FIOS (switched from Optimum). HD picture is as good, internet is better.

11. Quasimotor

Quasimotor Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Full Name:
    George Avgerakis
    I've been on Direct TV and I'm a TV producer. Pretty good picture although in spring the trees blossoming and rain storms sometimes cut the signal for awhile. Been waiting for Fios in my area, but now am wary. Thanks for the warning. BTW, recently used the new JVC consumer HD camera to shoot ALMS and got wonderful results on both my plasma and my Canon Realis projector at 10 ft. diagonal.

12. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    I have DTV, I don't really like it.. A little wind and it loses signal, every morning I have to unplug the box and plug it back to get signal.
    They came and changed it once already, same problem. Getting tired of "your up against a hill" excuse.

13. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm running comcast blast internet (~16mb/s) and like it. I also have their HD programming and can't complain. Looks great on my 46" plasma. I've had mixed experiences with their services. Their customer service is always good although i've heard horror stories about them

14. gages

gages Karting

Jan 5, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve G
    Don't use their box, get a Tivo!

15. ASG 86TR

ASG 86TR Formula 3

Aug 23, 2001
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Adam G
    I have had FIOS for a few years now and love it....The HD is great, Phone service is great, internet fast and cust service fantastic. The Multi-room DVR is a great option, and now that you can schedule shows on a computer and my blackberry, it is far superior to comcast.