FAQ: How to Upgrade a 360 F1 TCU to a 360 CS TCU | FerrariChat

FAQ: How to Upgrade a 360 F1 TCU to a 360 CS TCU

Discussion in '360/430' started by 360trev, Apr 16, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    #1 360trev, Apr 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    FAQ: How to Upgrade a 360 F1 TCU to a 360 CS TCU

WARNING/DISCLAIMER: Do so at your own risk. I take absolutely no responsibility for you damaging your car, tcu or anything else. This post is purely for informational/educational purposes only.

There are many reasons why you may wish to upgrade to the later Challenge Stradale transmission software for your regular Modena, specifically for the improved performance of the f1 shift operation. There are also some complelling reasons why doing this modification should be seriously considered against the possible risks. Have your eyes wide open before attemping it. You could easily damage your car, your tcu or even hurt yourself if you attempt to do it without proper electronics training/knowledge. Anti static protection should be used when dealing with any electronics equipment. Furthermore upgrading the TCU to Strad speeds could result in faster clutch wear (*its yet to be proven but its worth mentioning that the CS came with uprated clutch and driveshafts - nobody is 100% certain if that was purely to cope with launch control or not - and yes even the strads LC button can be fitted too if your handy with wiring.)

Right. The actual chip storing the 'software program' is on a flash memory AMD chip.

The exact variant is AMD AM29F200AB-90SI, for the technically minded its a 2 megabit (yes only 256 kbytes!) cmos 5.0 volt-only boot sector flash memory. They are cheap, total cost is around $4 USD to buy a single chip. (only 1 is needed for the 360).

Part No:AM29F200AB-90SI
    Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (AMD)
    Temperature: min -40°c | max 85°c
    Description: 2 megabit cmos 5.0 volt-only boot sector flash memory

A source for purchase of one is;
    http://store.americanmicrosemiconductor.com/am29f200ab-90si.html

Flash AMD Chip datasheet available from;
    http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheets2/48/487296_1.pdf

1. You just need to take your original CS TCU and open it. There are 4 hex screws (T10 size) on the back case. After removing you'll need a stanley knife or something like a sharp knife to prize open the original grey glue compound.
    2. De-solder the flash chip, its the one on the board in the top right hand corner with a white sticker on it confirming the software checksum and flash date (I am assuming this chip is ok and hasn't been fried [lets hope something else is damaged eh?]. All you actually need the original CS TCU for is the software thats stored on it. The rest of the TCU can be junked, you can use your original working one.
    3. Next step is to read the contents of the chip, to do this you need to put it in a flash reader/writer (scan ebay for a cheap one thats compatible with the AMD chip described above) and then extract the 'software' contents of the original flash chip inside your broken unit.
    Note: You must own an original CS TCU in order to do this otherwise it could be considered as software theft (i.e. stealing the original CS software when you haven't paid for it!).
    4. Once you've done all this your nearly there, all you need to do now is erase then write this software read on one of these 6 euro EPROM chips. Verify the checksum agaist the one on the sticker on the original chip.
    5. Next step is to open your orignal 360 F1 TCU and de-solder the old chip (store this in a safe place incase you ever wish to swap the chip back over) and then re-solder the new eprom chip with the CS TCU programming on it.
    6. Install the unit back in the car and then hook it up to an SD2 computer and reset the learning parameters and adjust the PIS (Point Of Initial Slip) for the clutch take up and job done. Congratulations, your now the owner of CS software reprogrammed back into your original 360 F1 TCU.

Hope this helps. And no I wont provide either the CS TCU software to you or upgrade one of your old units.

Its also worth noting that later revisions of the TCU in the 360 had a software upgrade capability which meant you didn't need to do any of this can could upgrade via the OBD-II. Thats why some dealers can 'software' fix units without ever removing the TCU from the car.

One last note. If you do any of this swapping of TCU's you'll lose the TCU mileage indicator parameter (its stored in the TCU!) so if your brave you can do a 'before' and 'after' to work out the hex address where the mileage is stored. This is quite easy to do.

1. As described above, read out the contents using a eprom reader.
    2. replace chip and drive a few miles (you may want to fit a socket for easy/removal/fitting).
    3. Remove chip again and read out the contents again.
    4. Now do a binary compare to highlight the differences between the first read out and the new read out.

This will indicate the exact byte address in the binary where the mileage parameter is stored. You can do this on both TCU's (not sure if they changed the address between the CS and the original Modena, unlikely but worth checking!). This number will be in hex (base 16) so you'll need to understand how to use a hex editor and hexadecimal numbers.

5. Use hexeditor to correct mileage in your TCU and write the program back into your eprom again.

Volia, your TCU now correctly matches your dashboard and everything is back in sync again.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

imahorse likes this.
  2. balenciaga

balenciaga Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2008
    NYC
    Full Name:
    derek
    thanks again for posting this

3. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Was there any bent/broken pins on your CS tcu? This post was directed towards yourself Derek, hell, I don't even have an F1 gearbox, good old fashioned manual 6spd :) Hopefully you should now be able to re-use your investment (even if your tcu is dead) by reading off the original 256kbytes of strad software and reflashing your old TCU. Perhaps you can get a good electronics shop to do it for you?

Good luck!

T

4. balenciaga

Jul 19, 2008
    NYC
    Full Name:
    derek
    You rock man, really i thought i had no other option then fork over 2k for a new one. This really is a great solution.

thanks again

5. BLK77

BLK77 Rookie

May 31, 2005

So if I understand this correctly....A good tech guy can roll back the mileage..right?!

6. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Thankfully mileage parametes are stored in more than one location, also number of engine starts, gearchanges, times the doors where open, etc.etc. are all data logged and an algorithm can be used to work out if the mileage matches with the rest of the data. So technically its not so straight forward for the cheats than just changing a number and reflashing.

7. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    For all those (mainly programmer types) who are interested in the 256kbyte firmware and its composition. I did a little research and was startled to find what CPU core it actually has inside it, its an old friend :)

You may be surprised to learn that the CPU inside your transmission control unit dates its ancestory right back to 1976 and was first produced in 1979 as the Motorola MC68000 series. The core itself has gone through several refinements but its essentially the same technology and family line.

The Magneti Marelli TCU's Main CPU is a Motorola ZC439615MFT20, this cpu has M68000 Opcode Compatibility and runs at a mere 20Mhz clock speed. What all this means is that it can pretty much run assembly code written in 1970's :) This is also the same cpu used in the old Atari ST and Commodore Amiga (the Amiga ran at a mere 7.14Mhz though in those days compared to 20MHz in this configuration), computers from the 1980's. Strange fact of the day but true!!!

The TouCANTM series of microcontroller used in the TCU essentially adds an integrated Controller Area Network CAN capability and uses the 68376 32-bit microcontroller (described above).

Armed with this information you can use IDAPro Interactive dissassembler on your PC and reverse engineer this firmware right back into Motorola Assembly language programme in just a few days if your handy. This could yield some rather interesting side projects such as completely allowing you to re-program or enhance the original shifting software [if your really bored] :)

In Motorola Speak the "TouCAN module" is an integrated high-speed communication controller that implements the Controller Area Network (CAN) protocol version 2.0B, an asynchronous communications protocol. Integrating CAN on chip, rather than offering the functionality on a stand-alone chip, offers lower system cost, reduced burden on the central processor unit, increased system reliability and reduced power consumption.

8. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    #8 360trev, Apr 17, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  9. masar

masar Formula 3

Aug 19, 2007
    Czech republic
    Full Name:
    Petr
    Great write up as ussualy. Thanks Trev

10. highway

highway Karting

Aug 27, 2007
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Very nice write up. That was the first mod I did to my 360.. What a world of difference! Recommend to anyone with a 360 F1 standard tcu.

11. balenciaga

Jul 19, 2008
    NYC
    Full Name:
    derek
    So after my fun event of having the Cs tcu installed i can truly say it was worth it. Car is 100% different. In sport above 4k the shifts are insane. It dosent make that drowwn sound like someone is letting off the clutch slowly like it used to. and in traffic with sport mode off shifts from 1 to 2nd are super smooth. Also if anyone has any problems with the install here is the correct way to install it. Info thanks to rustybits. just give you mech this info.

You have to make sure they do it in sequence as follows:
    1. Plug in an SD2, and on the parameter page, read the "new closed clutch position" and note it down.
    2. switch off the battery (obvious, i know, but you'll be suprised the amount of times i've seen e.c.u's destroyed if this isn't done!)
    3. Swap it out for the new t.c.u
    4. switch on the battery, switch on the ignition and leave for thirty seconds.
    5. plug in the SD2. On the diagnosis page, write the original closed clutch position figure into it.
    6. Set P.I.S. to around 4.7 to begin with.( this can be played with later to suit)
    7. Now on the diagnosis section of SD2, a FULL cycle test has to be carried out.
    8. Next, under diagnosis section, carry out a self-learn. At this stage, you will probably still see a blank screen.
    9. Switch off the Sd2 and then the ignition. Leave it for thirty seconds, then switch the ignition back on and manually run up and down the gears.
    By this time you should see your display working and gears should all be selecting as they should. If it's all o.k they just need to fiddle about getting the P.I.S setting right until the change is quick.

once again thanks to rustybits. total champ

Hakaru360modena likes this.
  12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Derek- Glad you got your TCU working. Make sure you note this in your other posts about Ricambi. Amazing how arcane procedures are to make things work on a Ferrari. The alarm ECU remote programming comes to mind, with ignition key cycles representing PIN numbers. Who would ever have thought of that?

Taz
    Terry Phillips

13. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    #13 GCalo, Apr 17, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
    Aside from the exceptional nature of this post, I do want to commend you on the above ststement.

It is very important for all to know that you can't steal another's proprietary products.

Great job indeed.

And commendations to the continued supply of wizards here who keep coming up with these things!

14. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    So, if you had a regular 360 F1 spider you could upgrade it to shift like the Challenge Stradale using this procedure then I guess? I have only driven a 430 Scud and I know it won't shift like that but from what I read the standard 360 F1 is pretty slow and jerky. Would be nice to have faster shifts in the sport mode and smoother shifts in the standard mode...

Great thread and write up!

James

15. horsmanp

horsmanp Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Patrick Horsman
    I need to do this to my 2001, it has the old tcu...

16. balenciaga

Jul 19, 2008
    NYC
    Full Name:
    derek
    already did yesterday in my old thread so no worries

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239662&page=3

17. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    If there is enough demand for it I'll investigate a conversion to use the later 430 Scud TCU's on a regular F1 360. I'm not 100% certain its possible yet but since its the same gearbox I cannot see any reason why not.

18. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    ^^^^
    Didn't know they were the same box. That being the case I would certainly think a change in software and maybe in pumps is about all it should take to make it work. All I know is that a 430 Scud shifts like I have never felt anything shift before and I didn't even have it in "RACE" mode! It was AMAZING!

James

19. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Same gearbox, new generation of the tcu used on the 430. Most likely just refined s/w algorithms and ofcourse a faster clocked cpu :)

20. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    More information on the Magneti Marelli AMT (Automated Manual Transmission)...

--
    Magneti Marelli’s Manual Transmission Automation system was first developed for Ferrari Formula 1 racing in 1986. It uses an electronic Transmission Control Unit (TCU), interfaced by CAN bus to the Engine Control Module, to actuate the gear shifting of a traditional mechanical transmission, either transversal or longitudinal. The actuators are hydraulic and can be simple add-on hardware for an existing transmission, or can be integrated onto the transmission.
    --

Interesting that F1 used the technology in 1986 and yet here we are today some 23 years later running in an essentially 'tweaked varient' of it on the 2009 Model Ferrari 430 Scuderia. Is that what we are all calling progress? Hmmm...

To be honest I am highly sceptical of the whole 'shifting speed' thing. I am 100% certain Ferrari could have easily launched the Modena with Scuderia matching gearchange speeds at launch in 1999 but decided to spoon feed the market so they held back.

It is only now that other mainstream manufacturers such as Audi and VW are using dual clutch systems (which are superior from a performance perspective as they don't disengage power whatsover [but are also heavier... :( ] ) that we'll see all future models use the same approach. This has already started with the latest model, the new California.

21. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    I hadn't thought about that before. Out of interest i had a look at the respective wiring diagrams for the Scud and 360 T.C.U and it appears there are some pin-out differences, so it may not be as straightforward as software! I can dig a little further if your interested though.....

22. Bugsbunny

Bugsbunny Rookie

Jan 16, 2009
    Heaven
    Full Name:
    SSB
    Dear All,

Sorry to make this thread re-born after several years but I have a problem about this upgrade. I bought an original and brand new 360CS control unit from Ferrari and removed the original CMOS inside of it. It is an AMD chip with a size of 4 MBit, AM29F400AB. I have read the program and it seems like the original CS program fits to the CMOS to the end, even until the last empty program row. I think, the size of the original CS program is not less than 500Kb, which means it is not possible to write this program to a 2 Mbit chip, AM29F200.

So I decided to copy the CS program to 29F400 chip and soldered it to the original 360 Modena TCU board, no way, TCU did not work with this higher capacity CMOS :(

So where is the problem according to you? May be Magneti Marelli has changed the program size? My new CS TCU has been manufactured in May 2012 according to the note on the metal case.

I hope you can help me on this strange issue.

Thanks in advance...

23. Bugsbunny

Bugsbunny Rookie

Jan 16, 2009
    Heaven
    Full Name:
    SSB
    Sorry to say this but it is completely impossible, the 430 Scuderia has a different F1 actuator with cut egdes on the selector finger. With this upgrade, the finger can move on H grid in diagonal way and shorten the travel distance of the actuator finger!! Otherwise, that would be impossible to shift the gears in 60ms.

So, before thinking about to upgrade the SW, one needs a Scu F1 actuator to start :)

Regards,

PS: By the way, I am the Aftersales Manager of Ferrari and Maserati in an European country.

24. justinn

justinn Karting

Jan 5, 2011
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Great job 360Trev!!

Did you ever work out your flashing capability to the Bosch ecu's? There is a new cable suite avaialable from the same manufacturer of the one you currently use which you probably already know about :)

Justin

25. Bugsbunny

Bugsbunny Rookie

Jan 16, 2009
    Heaven
    Full Name:
    SSB
    Can anybody help me on this issue? Maybe trev360, the starter of this topic?