355 Accelerometer question | FerrariChat

355 Accelerometer question

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mr Dobermann, Apr 7, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mr Dobermann

Mr Dobermann Karting

Jul 31, 2005
    #1 Mr Dobermann, Apr 7, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
    How can i tell if the accelerometer is faulty or not? Someone before me has soldered the 4 cables in this box badly, so it has caused a short dead, leading to a cable melt-down from the box towards the fuse box in the luggage compartment.

There is a "plate" in the box that sits on a bridge, placing a megnetic feeler between two points. Should this plate be loose or not?

Someone have a picture of how it should look inside?

Very thankful for some advice and help here.

Kimmo/Sweden.

2. zero

zero Guest

Apr 24, 2007
    Will you please post a picture of what the lasy owner did to yours? Why did the solder extra wires to the unit?

3. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    Normally shaking them around and hearing something loose inside is a good indicator that they have failed. The ball inside falls off it's mount and shorts it out. Usually accompanied by the dash fuse blowing.

4. Mr Dobermann

Mr Dobermann Karting

Jul 31, 2005
    #4 Mr Dobermann, Apr 7, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
    Thank you.

I will try to post some pics later. Someone has soldered the 4 wires that is going into the accelerometer, badly. Positive and negative cables was leaning against eachother.

This made my cables from it burn... And it destroyed quite much.

rustybits: - What fuse is it that blows then? My AC/instrument-fuse blowed all the time, and later it blowed some other fuses too. The dead short has damaged my car a bit.

- By the way: The ball you are talking about, isnt that in the Acceleration sensor? Im talking about the Accelerometer(Silver-coloured box). 2 different boxes.

The previous owner has made a major go-through with the car, but doesnt admit to anything, although i have found A LOT of crap-repairs. The plate that sits on the bridge in this accelerometer, with the magnet on, was also loose, but i have put it in place again, but im not sure if its too late. It rattled earlier with the loose plate, but now everything is tight.

So the result of this is that the car is gonna stay in my garage for some time... Im now rewireing a lot, and i will pull the carpets and dash out this weekend to check every cable everywhere... It sucks. :(

Kimmo.

5. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    Sorry...i didn't read your post properly-yes you are right! If it's not loose now you may be o.k, the only way will be to put it back on the car and try it;and yes this unit will blow fuses associated with the dash. Post some pictures when you have the chance. Well done finding that mess before something nasty happened.

6. Mr Dobermann

Mr Dobermann Karting

Jul 31, 2005
    Can someone tell me for sure, if this unit can give the suspension light on the dash, if it is broken/Faulty?

Someone who really knows this?

Kimmo.

7. Mr Dobermann

Mr Dobermann Karting

Jul 31, 2005
    Anyone who knows this? Come on...

Kimmo.

8. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    If I remove mine and the light comes on, will that prove anything? Any other test I can do to prove it?

9. Mr Dobermann

Mr Dobermann Karting

Jul 31, 2005
    -Johan: Thank you, yes that would give me the answer... Can you do that? Quite easy when you have the front bumper removed. But, it is the Silver-coloured box at the left from the black box that im talking about here.

Kimmo. ;)

10. Mr Dobermann

Mr Dobermann Karting

Jul 31, 2005
    Thanks Johan...!

:)

11. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    For the record: I tried it (removed it) and the light came on, put it back light went back to normal :)

12. darrenliu

darrenliu Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2008
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Darren Liu
    I wish i read this post about a year ago, my 355 has been off the road for about a year due to dash fuse blowing. My very good auto elect. found the wire the short was on and traced it back to this silver sucker. This part cause an intermittent dead short which proved to be very difficult to solve.