I think I'm starting to like it... | FerrariChat

I think I'm starting to like it...

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Carsleuth, Apr 18, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carsleuth

Carsleuth F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2006
    Chicago/NYC
    Full Name:
    Dan C.
    #1 Carsleuth, Apr 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I don't know. I, like many of you, HATED the California when it first was released. I thought the rear was hideous, the sides were lacking in the normal Ferrari passion, and the front was okay at best. But today, I saw this picture. I don't know what about it completely changed my view, but after staring at it for a few minutes I began to think it's not a bad looking car. I get to see one in person in a week so that will be the true test. Anybody else have a change of heart?

Dam
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. XP1LM

XP1LM Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2005
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Truong
    It does look sexy as hell on this picture and didnt like the California when it first came out but the more pictures i see, the more i like it and im sure when i see one IRL, i will like it even more.

3. ZonderF

ZonderF Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2008
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #3 ZonderF, Apr 19, 2009
  4. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    man that back end is a double bagger

5. BrianZuk

BrianZuk F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2007
    NorCal (Bay Area)
    Full Name:
    BrianZuk
    Definitly looks better in silver than rosso corsa.

6. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    The angles and the wheels make a huge difference.

7. BANANA

BANANA Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2007
    I have always thought that the California is a good looking car.

8. Dominic

Dominic Rookie

Jan 24, 2009
    Montréal, Québec
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    on the first picture it looks extremely great, but as many of you seem to agree the colors make a big difference

9. Carsleuth

Carsleuth F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2006
    Chicago/NYC
    Full Name:
    Dan C.
    Color AND rims, the rims on the red one are horrid. The rims on the silver one look great.

10. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    As the car is around longer, more and more fans will come forward to admit they like it. There will always be a hater crowd for it, but more and more will grow to appreciate it for what it is.

It does look better silver with the different wheels.

11. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Seems to be the case with most cars today - wheels can make a HUGE difference.

The Cali launch wheels (on the Rosso car) are very tame - almost as bad as the 5-point star wheels on the launch 599.

Compare the 599 car on 5-pointers to one on Challenge rims and it's chalk and cheese.

The Cali will probably look worst in Red. In the latest Ferrari mag (issue 4) there are stats from 1997-2008 and the percentage of Red cars is just under 46% - lowest in 10 years! I think with the Cali launch you'll see that declining further. The car definitely needs a metallic colour to ease the bulk.

12. Carsleuth

Carsleuth F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2006
    Chicago/NYC
    Full Name:
    Dan C.
    On Saturday, I'm shooting some pics of a red one. I get a ride in it too, I'll be sure to post 'em.

13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I've seen the car in red and also in silver. I think it's much better looking in silver. The curves are more pronounced.

14. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    It doesn't look as large as you would imagine in real life.

I probably saw `about 10/15 Californias around Monaco in the past couple of months and I must say it's growing on me. It sounds good too. It looks MUCH better in movement than it does when static.

The nicest one I saw so far was an Argento Nurburgring (silver) over red with the standard wheels.

I actually think it looks good in red. The only color which I'm unsure about is Azzurro California (that light blue). I don't like it on the Cali or any other car...matter of taste obviously.

15. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    The back-end should be slimmed down and the nose should have been just a tad longer. It looks quite good on some pictures, particularly the first one of this thread, but all in all, it does do very little for me, considering I adore Ferrari´s.

16. opus10583

opus10583 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Mark
    "All cats are grey in the dark".

17. Carsleuth

Carsleuth F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2006
    Chicago/NYC
    Full Name:
    Dan C.
    #17 Carsleuth, Apr 26, 2009
    I saw and rode in a California today. Up close, the rear really isn't bad. Handles like a dream. Took a turn at 65 in a 35 zone, the G's were incredible. We got up to about 110, which surprisingly felt subtle for a Ferrari. A little disappointed with the sound, didn't have that "Ferrari growl." It really felt like you were riding on air. Sure it's not my favorite Ferrari (maybe not even top ten) but I think people are being a bit to harsh. It's certainly not a bad car and I can tell you one thing, it was a great experience. I think we're forgetting this is Ferrari's first attempt hard top convertible and it's a great step forward. More pics to come.

18. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    Thanks for the pic Dan.

I haven't seen one in the flesh yet, but I think you are right in people being overly harsh. This is a great Ferrari for people with multiple Ferraris as well as the first time buyer looking for something out of the ordinary. I have raw and raucous Ferraris already..........I want something I can use with the family.

19. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    #19 Ferrarista3, Apr 26, 2009
    I agree.

I personally don't find it as exciting or good looking as other Fcars.

...but it's still a very cool car and I certainly wouldn't say it looks bad per se.

20. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I saw them at the unveiling last Sept. I think it looks better with the top up because it blends the big butt into the roofline. Regardless, I still think it is a great product for the niche it is chasing though they may have priced it a bit higher than optimum.

Dave

21. daviddavid

daviddavid Formula Junior

May 17, 2005
    Might be a tight squeeze, but I bet you could get one of those boats in the boot / trunk :)