308QV Won't Start | FerrariChat

308QV Won't Start

Discussion in '308/328' started by Andrew Bolton, Apr 15, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Andrew Bolton

Andrew Bolton Karting

Aug 20, 2004
    Spring, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andrew Bolton
    After sitting for a few weeks, I'm trying to start my QV and it just turns over and over and over. I don't smell gas at the exhaust tips and spraying engine starter into the air box does bring it to life for a few seconds--until the starter fluid is used up. Any ideas? And don't say "you're not getting gas"--I figured that one out on my own ;).

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Do a search on "308QV safety switch" -- should get you the information you need to start troubleshooting your fuel pump operation (you did check the fuse, right?).

3. shawxhurst

shawxhurst Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Steve Hawxhurst
    Do you have the plenum hose installed? The car won't start if you've got the hose off, like for squirting in starter fliud

4. Andrew Bolton

Andrew Bolton Karting

Aug 20, 2004
    Spring, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andrew Bolton
    Plenum hose = yes.

Safety swich = ???? (will research that issue)

Thanks.

5. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #5 finnerty, Apr 17, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
    First thing to do ----

Disconnect the safety switch (it's the blue, 2-pin, connector on the side of the fuel distributor), and turn the key to "ignition on" (not start) position. You should be able to hear the fuel pump running. If not, follow Steve's lead to start making systematic electrical checks.

Second ----

If the pump is running, pull an injector, push down on the air flow sensor plate to see if you're spraying fuel. If you are, you've most likely got an ignition problem. If you aren't, you'll need to do a systematic fuel delivery check --- lots of threads on that.

Likewise, there are lots of threads to guide you through checking out the ignition system if required.

6. gilligan308

gilligan308 Karting

Dec 8, 2008
    S.W.Florida
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I'm going through my 82 308 this week end.I'll let you know what I find(same problem)

7. Andrew Bolton

Andrew Bolton Karting

Aug 20, 2004
    Spring, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andrew Bolton
    I KNOW that it's not getting fuel because it runs fine so long as I keep the starter fluid spray going into the air box :( but why is the question.