Mondial gas odor question | FerrariChat

Mondial gas odor question

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by garciacg, Apr 18, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. garciacg

garciacg Rookie

May 28, 2004
    Newport Beach
    Full Name:
    Carlos G.
    Hi gang,

I have a question regarding my 1988 Mondial Cabriolet. There seems to be a strong gas odor everytime I go into the garage. The car has been fully serviced recently and the gas tanks were taken out and repowdered. The fuel injector system has been rebuilt. I checked the gas cap and it appears to be sealed appropriately. I know that older cars can have gas odor, but this is very strong to the point where it makes it difficult to be in the garage.

Has anyone else experienced this??? Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!!!

Cheers,
    CG

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    You have to find the source of this. Breathing gas fumes is not good for you. The Fire danger is very serious as well. Is the car running way too rich? This can be a source of fumes from the exhaust but I think you have a leak somewhere. You have to go step by step.

Good Luck Finding It

3. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I would check the filler tube neck to see if it's sealed up,but something is defintiely wrong. 1980's cars do not vent gas. A tech can pressurize the system and find the leak.

Dave

4. garciacg

garciacg Rookie

May 28, 2004
    Newport Beach
    Full Name:
    Carlos G.
    Yes, it seems to be running rich. I have had my mechanic check the car and didn't find any leaks. I did smell the pipes and could smell gas fumes. I will have to get it checked again.

Thank you for the quick reply!!!

5. DenisB

DenisB Formula Junior

Jul 21, 2007
    Cape Cod Ma.
    Full Name:
    Denis B.
    if you can smell the fumes in the pipes- won't that cause a buildup in the cats and then be a 'major" issue??

6. garciacg

garciacg Rookie

May 28, 2004
    Newport Beach
    Full Name:
    Carlos G.
    yep, that is my concern. I have left my mechanic a message. Thanks!

7. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #7 snj5, Apr 18, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
    If the hoses on your vapor recovery or fuel system have never been changed, then they may have become cracked and weep fuel. Another frequent culprit is the fuel accumulator.

Suggestion to inspect fuel system - time est 1.5 hours:

1. Lift up Right rear side and remove RR wheel and forward fenderwell. Please then place car on jackstand under main frame member.

2. Against the firewall you will see the fuel accumulator and fuel pump. Inspect and TOUCH the hoses where they are fastened to the accumulator and pump, and see if there is gas dripping from the top drain of the accumulator. Also check the hoses atatching to and the fuel filter.

3. At the very upper back outboard top of the fuel tank there are several (4?) nipples where the gas return line and vapor recovery system attach. Inspect each of these connections thoroughly, as the hoses here can crack and weep gasoline giving you the odor you complain of. Since you just had your tanks done, I am betting something is loose or deteriorating in this area.

4. Examine the hoses thoughout the vapor recovery system where they attach to their respective cannisters and attachments.

Good luck and let us know.

8. garciacg

garciacg Rookie

May 28, 2004
    Newport Beach
    Full Name:
    Carlos G.
    Excellent information! Thank you much and I will provide an update once I get a chance to inspect it.

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to provide all the feedback :)

Cheers,
    cg

9. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #9 snj5, Apr 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    #10 davebdave, Apr 18, 2009
    Can't help you there but you have excellent taste in cars, as does my wife (daughter pictured)....
    Ciao,
    dave
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. garciacg

garciacg Rookie

May 28, 2004
    Newport Beach
    Full Name:
    Carlos G.
    Thank you Russ for the diagram. This is very helpful and I really appreciate it! Will keep you posted on the outcome.

Cheers,
    Carlos

12. garciacg

garciacg Rookie

May 28, 2004
    Newport Beach
    Full Name:
    Carlos G.
    Hey Dave, awesome cars!!! I have a 73 Fiat 500 yellow as you see on my signature. The Ferrari is black. Love both of them! I will some pics when I get a chance.

Cheers!

13. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    It's common for carb'd cars to exude a smell of gas after the engine is shut down and the car is sitting in the garage - this is fuel evaporating out of the float bowls. But, a fuel injected car should definitely not exude a gas smell - they have sealed systems with an evaporative recovery system. Take a look at the floor and see if you see any fuel dripping. And, don't smoke around your ferrari until you find the leak!

14. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #14 snj5, Apr 20, 2009
    Sure - here is one labeled with the big pieces

15. garciacg

garciacg Rookie

May 28, 2004
    Newport Beach
    Full Name:
    Carlos G.
    Thanks again Russ! I have been pretty busy traveling with work, so I have not had a chance to begin the search.

On another note, do you know how to adjust the idle on the 3.2 model? I don't know much about italian cars unfortunately (American cars I can work on :) ) I found the screw to adjust it, but it is at the lowest level already, therefore, I cannot lower it anymore (currently it idles at 1500, which is to high).

Cheers,
    Carlos

16. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #16 snj5, May 17, 2009
    Last edited: May 17, 2009
    Well, the K-jet the idle is adjusted with the big screw air bypass doofer. If it is idling to high with the idle adjust all the way out , you may have stuck temperature air bypass valve (not uncommon - a volkswagon K-jet part). And if you have never done it, change the O2 sensor. There are a lot better K-jet guys on here than me, hopefully they will chime in.

Good luck!!

17. garciacg

garciacg Rookie

May 28, 2004
    Newport Beach
    Full Name:
    Carlos G.
  18. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    #18 theunissenguido, May 18, 2009
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi, maybe your gascables are to short. It can be reset on the throttle. Nr 45 on the picture (2X).
    You have to pull out the fine metal split and turn the internal screw outwords. Loosen this little bolt on the other side and turn the THREAD SPHERIC HEADS (nr 45 on the picture) against clockwise to give the cable more play...there are 2 like this on your throttle...if it is a Mondial T.
    I hope it helps..
    Guido

19. garciacg

garciacg Rookie

May 28, 2004
    Newport Beach
    Full Name:
    Carlos G.
    Thanks Guido. This is not a Monidal T, it is 3.2.

Thanks again for the information...
    Carlos

20. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    #20 theunissenguido, May 19, 2009
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Then a 3.2 has only 1 THREAD SPHERIC HEAD nr 41 on the picture.

Guido

21. garciacg

garciacg Rookie

May 28, 2004
    Newport Beach
    Full Name:
    Carlos G.
    Thanks Guido. The number 41 screw was already to the lowest level, unfortunately. I took it to my mechanic today and he adjusted the idle in a minute :) He took of the air filter box and made the adjustment from there.

Now, I just got to figure out where the gasoline odor is coming from.

Ciao,
    Carlos