Might paint my rims-thoughts please..... | FerrariChat

Might paint my rims-thoughts please.....

Discussion in '348/355' started by James-NZ, Apr 20, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    #1 James-NZ, Apr 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have been thinking for some time now about painting my rims, first up I was dead set on gloss black centers with the polished lip, then I thought about a gunmetal finish would look nice with the polished lip, then I went out of the box and thought black centre with yellow lip, or matte black centre with gloss black lip and yellow pin stripe......or........or.......or

As you may be able to tell from reading the above, options are endless and I'm open minded so if you have an idea feel free to share it.

Is there anyone out there that could spare the time and have the skills (not to mention the program) to photoshop some colour combos on the pics below, that would help me a great deal and would be greatly appreciated.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Those are gorgeous wheels - they subtler the paint the better IMO.

3. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    #3 Saint Bastage, Apr 20, 2009
  4. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    Thanks Vince! So you would leave them in the finish they are currently?

WOW!!! Thats a great photo, the border really adds to it. Your rims look great, I was thinking a slightly darker shade of grey for mine, but now I have seen yours we can add that colour to the choices.......

5. lotusdude

lotusdude Karting

Jul 31, 2008
    Fort Worth TX
    Full Name:
    Jake Miller
    #5 lotusdude, Apr 20, 2009
    did mine heres a pic. tires and wheel wells look like crap in this picture because of the flash and my lack of cleaning but in normal light they really tie in the yellow. I chose to just have a buddy at a paint shop do mine because I did not like the idea of heating my wheels up to 500 degrees for the powdercoat. Also, I can change back to the silver anytime for about 60 bucks in paint. If you decide to paint them, just make sure they use a wheel based paint thats a little more impact resistant and heat tolerant. Cleaning and sanding them was the biggest pain in the a$$.

6. lotusdude

lotusdude Karting

Jul 31, 2008
    Fort Worth TX
    Full Name:
    Jake Miller
    #6 lotusdude, Apr 20, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
    also if you have any blemishes, and I mean little perosity spots or scratches then fill them in with spot putty before you paint or they will show through when you go with a black or gun metal. had to find that out the hard way!

7. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    That looks sweet Jake, are they satin black or matte?

I have a buddy at a paint shop also, he is keen to do them, I just need to decide on a colour. We will prep them together and he will spray them, he has done plenty of rims before but I will make sure he uses paint designed for rims. My car gets used so stone chips are going to happen but anything he can do to make the paint last will help.

8. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    #8 James-NZ, Apr 20, 2009
  9. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    #9 James-NZ, Apr 20, 2009
  10. lotusdude

lotusdude Karting

Jul 31, 2008
    Fort Worth TX
    Full Name:
    Jake Miller
    Used semi gloss engine paint!!! no clear coat because it cakes up too much and you will see any imperfections in the light. Give it some gloss because the matte paint just doesn't reflect any light and it looks dirty all the time. we put 2 coats of primer which I sanded up 3 times per coat 600/1000/2000wet. This combo made it smooth as silk and we finished it off with 4 coats of black and I followed the same sanding regiment after each coat until the final coat was put on. thanks for the compliment. That light does it no justice, Not bad for 60 bucks and some elbow grease. let me know what you decide on, I want to see.

11. lotusdude

lotusdude Karting

Jul 31, 2008
    Fort Worth TX
    Full Name:
    Jake Miller
    #11 lotusdude, Apr 20, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
    That 430 is bad a$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!! I've put over 300 miles on mine and one chip, so the paint is pretty tuff. And like I said if it starts to look bad then just take off the wheels and do it again, took me 3 evenings and some patience to let it cure for a week and presto your back to looking brand new again!

12. gandalfthegray.

gandalfthegray. Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Pinewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Steve
    +1!

I was just thinking that! Usually I don't like the color matched outer lip, but damn that's nice!

13. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    They are awesome wheels Jimmy!! :):)

I would leave them be mate and get yourself some 355 wheels. When you get some 355 wheels, then paint them black and SLAM them on! They look awesome in black on yellow 355's. ;);)

14. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    Thanks brother. This is what has caused the hold up in doing something with the current rims. I scored a front and a rear factory 355 rim's but need another front and rear to complete the set, then black will definitely be the colour of choice, but finding a front and a rear rim is no easy task. So I will keep looking. Maybe once I have the factory set sorted then I will get these ones repainted.........

15. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane

I think you are correct to stay a little darker. The Grigio might not look so hot with a Yellow car. Its subtle on the Nero but probably to subtle with yellow.

16. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Yep yep! ;);)

I am also stuck on the 355 wheel issue. :D:D

I will keep my eyes out.......I need 2 more also. :eek::eek:

17. Billdemart

Billdemart Karting

Mar 30, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Billy D
    That looks awesome.

Much better than black.

18. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    unbolt the centres and paint them satin black leave the rim polished will look sh#t hot

19. lotusdude

lotusdude Karting

Jul 31, 2008
    Fort Worth TX
    Full Name:
    Jake Miller
    second that , if i had two piece wheels that would be my choice also

20. lotusdude

lotusdude Karting

Jul 31, 2008
    Fort Worth TX
    Full Name:
    Jake Miller
    #20 lotusdude, Apr 22, 2009
  21. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    Thanks Jake, she looks awesome!!! Is that a roll cage I see? Factory rims look best in Nero! :)

22. lotusdude

lotusdude Karting

Jul 31, 2008
    Fort Worth TX
    Full Name:
    Jake Miller
    custom roll bar , good eye man.

23. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    AWESOME car! ;);)

24. F348BE

F348BE Karting

May 9, 2006
    Hi folks, firstly thanks for some awesome pics. I'd like to find some kind of not-too-complicated tutorial for restoring and repainting my factory 348 rims (keeping the same original colour) which are in a bit of a state - chips, pavements ... etc! Can anyone help maybe with a link or two ... for a first timer with not much experience in these things? Materials to purchase, process .... ?

25. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

In all honesty, just take them to a paintshop and have them paint the wheels for you. :D:D

Cost me $100 per wheel to repaint in the original colour and they look like new. :):)