2009 F430 Challenge Photos | Page 2 | FerrariChat

2009 F430 Challenge Photos

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Horse-power, Apr 17, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #26 Gatorrari, Apr 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The stars of the show were undoubtedly the five FXXs, which represent 17% of the total production of 30. I had seen one in the showroom at FoCF in Orlando, but I was glad to see them do their thing on the track. Hearing five unmuffled Ferrari V-12s on the track, by themselves, at the same time was splendid.

One of the Italians said that 4 of the 5 cars had come from Europe; I presume the exception was the one driven by Preston Henn of the Swap Shop flea market, a long-time racecar owner and sponsor. The on-track pics were taken at the entrance to turn 7; I'll have more at a later time.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. TheTibbs

TheTibbs Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 19, 2009
    Cool, if you took those today we were probably standing right next to each other lol.

3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Haha! No, actually, I was only there yesterday.

4. ZonderF

ZonderF Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2008
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    What was the deal with the red #8 also having the Swap Shops logo on the front? According to what I've seen in the registries, it's a Canadian car. Nice pictures as always, Jim.

5. Dino Scuderia

Dino Scuderia Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2005
    Southeast US
    #30 Dino Scuderia, Apr 20, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
    The event was great in some ways and in some ways disappointing.

The F1 segment was disappointing with only one car running and grandpa driving the Alesi car....it was pointless. The first run on Saturday of the 333SP was good but that driver was only running at about 85%....then the second run some idiot was driving who didn't know the track at all...he brainfarted and tried to turn right in the middle of the esses onto the new motorcycle chicane...lost the backend and spun into the grass.

The FXX's were great to see and hear but the race...well wasn't really a race they were so spread out.

One of the FXX engineers told us that the metallic red on the #31 car is the new F1 red. I imagined it would have been darker as it looks darker on TV....or maybe the engineer was wrong.

The 430 series displayed great racing as usual...always enjoy those.

The California...I did not like it at all...the front and rear don't belong on the same car. The front is too tall and squarish, the rear is fugly... and the five spoke rims are a cure for insomnia.

A lot of nice cars in general at the event...loved all the 430 Scuds etc. and the weather was perfect.

6. TheTibbs

TheTibbs Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 19, 2009
    The FXX race was boring to you because FXX's don't race lol.

7. Dino Scuderia

Sep 7, 2005
    Southeast US
    Then what's the point?

8. TheTibbs

TheTibbs Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 19, 2009
    To drive a Ferrari race car for fun? lol Don't ask me I don't do it. Not everything on a race track is racing.

9. Zoom Zoom

Zoom Zoom Karting

Jul 15, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Four hours of fun on the track in a car we'll never get to drive. Our wallets are too thin to understand LOL. It seems like a factory-supported variation of open track racing. Hearing them exit turn 7 at full throttle and accelerate down the back straight was all the justification I needed to enjoy the sessions. But yeah, the "action" between cars just wasn't there (aside from the Challenge races), the F1 car was almost painful to watch trundle around the track, the rollback driver was faster, and the second driver (Saturday) of the 333 was pretty inexperienced. That chicane in the S's got them every single lap, even after the spin. Not that I'd drive any better...LOL.

Fun day for sure, well worth it for seeing so much, but much of what was on-track was pretty tepid.

I wonder if they ever got the #31 FXX sorted, it wasn't doing well in the Sat. afternoon session.

I wonder if there were any choice words for the white #9 Challenge driver that spun at 2, bumped the tire wall w/his left rear fender, and continued on with the race, cutting right in front of the other cars into the racing line as he returned to the track. Really stupid move that could have been disastrous.

Was nice to see the F40 drive out of the track, vs. on a rollback.

Wish there were more vintage Ferraris to see, aside from the beautiful silver '62 250 GTE 2+2. It was on display after Road Atlanta at the Year One Braselton Bash.

10. TheTibbs

TheTibbs Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 19, 2009
    For the price of the FXX program however you can run a FULL ALMS season in a GT car, with far more support, media attention, and people looking at you then driving a Ferrari track day car. Don't get me wrong, I can see why it appeals to people, but I would never do it (well PAY to do it lol). Four hours of track time could be had for MUCH less in a car just as fast lol.

But hey you won't get Ferrari treating you like Schumacher.

11. ppatel9

ppatel9 Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    I never saw this. When was this? I wasnt a big fan of client lapping but if the F40 was out on the track, it would have well been worth it. Pictures anyone.....of the F40 on track?

12. Zoom Zoom

Zoom Zoom Karting

Jul 15, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Oh there's no question that one can stretch their money and fun a lot further in other venues!

Exclusivity has it's costs and rewards. I'm perfectly happy seeing the cars and (someday) building a nice model of the FXX. I have lots of detail shots to help with that project.

The effect on their wallet to run an FXX is probably like the effect on our wallet of buying a pizza. They obviously enjoy themselves and all the attention, even if it's a very small crowd that will ever see them.

13. Zoom Zoom

Zoom Zoom Karting

Jul 15, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #38 Zoom Zoom, Apr 20, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
    I should have said "leaving the track"...he turned out of Road Atlanta onto Hwy. 53 going towards I-85. I don't think he had it on the track on Saturday. It would have been rather slick w/all the drool from the spectators around it LOL.

14. Lanikai

Lanikai Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Will Campbell
    As to the earlier question on the F40 wheels, the car had OZ wheels on it when we sold it twice at Shelton in Ft Lauderdale. Not sure that they are still on the car as the latest owner made some small changes to the car after I saw it last. It use to wear an LM rear spoiler that I understand the current owner still has. I have a little bit of seat time in that car and remember it as the best driving F40 I ever drove.

15. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    #40 henryr, Apr 20, 2009
    these are OZ ?

16. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    That should be "she" turned out of Road Atl....................

17. JNT

JNT Karting

Nov 30, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    "She" is correct and what a nice lady she was... Came up and introduced herself and her husband to me. The car was on a flatbed because the battery died at the chevron station near the track. She said she didn't realize the car would be so popular. i asked were they going to drive it on the track, she said not this time, but she did have a helmet and wanted more experience with the car first. maybe next year...

18. Dino Scuderia

Sep 7, 2005
    Southeast US
    I know, I watch F1 'races' too.

19. Zoom Zoom

Zoom Zoom Karting

Jul 15, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Lucky her. I never saw who was driving. We saw the car turn onto 53 as we were leaving the garage area of the pits. We had just spent time looking at and photographing the car before leaving, didn't see the driver.

20. McLaren_boy

McLaren_boy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    ATL but NOLA is home
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    #46 McLaren_boy, Apr 20, 2009
    I had a blast on both days, although looking at everyone's pics I definitely missed out on some stuff. The FXXs were probably the highlight of the weekend for me, amazing sound, breathtaking speed, and of course glowing brakes! The 333SP has to be one of the best sounding cars I've ever heard, while the F1 car that took to the track was surprisingly quiet (I guess because of turbocharging). The F430 Challenge races were fun to watch, but I was a bit annoyed that they completely tossed the schedule out the window on Sunday, I'm just glad I got there early or else I would have missed it. It was a treat to see the F50 and F40, and there was a nice turnout on Saturday, but the rain kept almost everyone away on Sunday. Overall a really fun event and I'm glad I went Saturday and Sunday. Here are a few of my pics:

21. ExoticSpotter

ExoticSpotter Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2008
    That challenge car giving you the thumbs up is priceless!

22. WJC

WJC Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Joe C.
    I was hoping to do some correcting in PS but I haven't found the time so I figured I better late than never.

I always go to the track with a certain challenge in mind and I was hoping for some extreme close up shots of the cars while they were racing. All of these shots are full frame with no cropping.

Here you go:

Cool angle of FXX side camera

16M

Light blue 599

Ford GT

333 SP

430 cornering

Rosso Fiorano or Rubino

Nice shot of 430 Challenge 430

TdF FXX - I hate the fences at Road Atlanta

Close up on Red/Gold FXX

I have a lot more pictures and I will see if I can get them up.