gothspeed's new 355 monster flow exhaust is completed!!! by-pass valve is history!!!! | FerrariChat

gothspeed's new 355 monster flow exhaust is completed!!! by-pass valve is history!!!!

Discussion in '348/355' started by gothspeed, Apr 21, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    #1 gothspeed, Apr 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here it is :)!!!!! It has been in the works for a loooong time ................... using 360/CS exhaust manifolds for the nice factory heat shields, 4-2-1 merge design and single larger collector ........... the by-pass valve along with all its 'issues' is now history :)!!! After adding air rails to the flanges .................... the entire exhaust system with gaskets and hardware is just under 64lbs ................ 40lbs lighter than the old system :)!!!! The installation was completed with the tremendous effort and tenacity of vvassallo, FBB, ernie, plugzit and myself :eek:!!! The fit was clean, simple and it sounds .......... freakin amaaaaazing :D :D :D!!!!! Here are pics of the system ........... sound vids and dyno numbers to follow .................. :D!!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    AWESOME! The savings of 64lbs is worth about 10hp alone!

3. Rothbauer_Racing

Rothbauer_Racing Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Röthbauer Racing GmbH
    Looking forward to hearing that monster! What are the 360/CS 4-1 single collector diameter at the end of the header vs. the dual 355 diameters? Interesting to see how these increase flow/power etc...

Ciao,

SRR

4. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    very cool!!! So the 360 CS manifolds fit? I can just imagine what those cost, knowing what the standard 355's go for. How about the standard 360 manifolds, would those work?

Nice job :D

5. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    #5 vvassallo, Apr 21, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
    The sound is like my 348 version but WAY more everything - bass, roar, ripping steel, and noise. Hide the women and children, the 355 goffxmuff is on the loose!!! I do have to confess that the whole installation is WAY more easier (!) in a 348. All this trouble so goth's car can sound like a 348... ;)

Oh well, it's pretty cool anyway. :D You guys are not going to believe the sound. If you thought the 360 CS was the best sounding V-8 Ferrari, you have not heard anything yet.

Nice pix, goth. I like that background too - rich royal velvet is fitting. :)

As for 360 Challenge headers, check eBay for cost. Yes they are not cheap but new replacements are way more expensive. Of course you have to factor in the goth mods to them...

What a project! And the whole enchillada is so much more lighter - yes 40 lbs - and much of that weight is the bypass crap and stock muffler. What you cannot hear or see in the dynos (when we get them) is the throttle response. Goth, tell them. It's so, um, freeeeeee!

6. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    #6 gothspeed, Apr 21, 2009
    The coss-sectional flow area is increased about 0.88 square inches ...... or 24.8% larger than the standard 355 collector ...... the throttle response was instantly improved and it seems to get to redline noticeably quicker :)!!

The new exhaust manifold flanges are identical to the 355 flanges and headers are virtually identical up until it gets to the collector area ......... I only added air rails to them ....... :). These manifolds may also have been used in the 1999 360 and maybe other models. I think the 360 series heads are the same casting as the 355. The later 360 manifolds are too big ....... here is the CS parts pic from the ricambi site. They are part #1 on the main diagram and will fit perfectly :). The manifold on the lower right of the pic will not fit :eek:

http://www.ricambiamerica.com/parts_catalogs.php?M=FE&P=&V=diag&I=480

One could also use some after market 360 headers but most of those have a 4-1 collector and may lose a little mid-range power. Though these 'factory' mainfolds can be found on ebay from time to time ............. there may even be a set on there right now for under 2k ................. ;)

7. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    Awesome......eagerly awaiting the sound video's.
    Will you be dyno'g this system?

8. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Yes I will be dynoing this system to compare with my previous exhaust configurations :). .................. the sound is indescribable :eek: ............ the sound is even more F1 than it ever was before ......... it sounds very exotic/sophisticated on mild revs then unholy F1 terror at full chat ........ :D!!!

9. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    For the love of God, it has been 2 hours. Where the hell is the video? What are you people doing???? How am I supposed to get anything done???????

10. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA | Austin |Miami
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Is this a one time deal or will it be available on the market?

11. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    #11 gothspeed, Apr 21, 2009
    Videos will be coming soon .......... I just need Vince to drive my car for me .......... I am having a hard time convincing him .............. ;)

I may do some 'in car' tunnel vids later ............ :D

It is very likely ;) .......... I had to make fixtures for everything :eek: ............ repeatability can be on demand .................... I am also able to 'convert' existing 355 manifolds for 'instant compatibility' if needed ............ :)

12. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    This thread is worthless without a sound clip.......

Seriously Goth--It looks bada$$!!! Can't wait to hear it!!

13. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    Just post the damn Video already!!!! :D :D

14. davey_jones

davey_jones Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2002
    wherever it's sunny
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That is AWESOME!!!

I'll admit one problem I've had with the 355 is lack of instant throttle response.

uuuuhhhh.... ok! Are we talking meaner than a 348 with straight exhaust?
    I WANT ONE!!! How much??? I still gotta have some of that 355 banshee shriek though :))

15. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    #15 gothspeed, Apr 21, 2009
    lol ........... :p ............. thanks Robbie :) ................... if you like pure F1 sound on steroids X10 :D ............ you are gonna love it :cool:!!! ................. you may even put that system of yours up for sale .......... ;) :D!!!

........... I am nowhere near my 355 right now ..... :eek: ............. I need a driver for my car, so I can get external video :( ............ more than likely it will be just me shooting video from inside the car and tearing up the tunnels ................... please stay tuned ...... it will be totally worth it :D!!!!!

This has more F1 sound than you can imagine ........... it is pure F1 euphoria ............ :)!!!!

16. zero

zero Guest

Apr 24, 2007
    Any pics of it installed mate? I would like to see it in the car. And well done by the way:)
    But most importantly.......were the video at brother?

17. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Very cool Oz!! :):)

I cant wait to hear it mate! :):)

Also, it would have been FUN having the stooges there helping ya fit it! :D:D

18. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    Have you made a 'plug' to close off the stock 355 manifold exhaust opening (for the y-pipe)?
    Can you post a picture?

19. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    Yes, pictures of the install in the car would be great.......

20. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I have heard Ozzy's car at full song. I can't tell you that without a doubt it is nothing short of AWESOME!!! After we finished putting it in, everyone left to go home. I followed Oz to listen to it. At cruising speed it isn't over bearing. But WHOAAAAA NELLY when he stomps on the throttle. A complete Jeckle & Hyde.

Yo Oz!

I think the best time to take some vids of it is when you have it strapped to the dyno! That way you can hear that sucker scream. And let me tell you guys it SCREAMS! Like a medieval prisoner getting dipped in boiling oil!

21. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    #21 gothspeed, Apr 21, 2009
    Here are some pics of it installed but my hands were really dirty and we were running out of time ...... by the time we got it installed it was almost night time :eek: ............... FBB took some pics too .......... his garage was well stocked with stuff and there was not a lot of room to take pics ........ ;)

thanks Pap ....... :)!

I was thinking of either making a cap for one of the 355 exits ........ or just do a 'serious' conversion and cut off the twin exits and weld on a new larger collector in the 360 position ........ :)! Reference the last diagram .......... ;)

22. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    This should be the Fchat quote of the month, HAHA!!!

23. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Lol lol lol!! Was AWESOME!! :p:p

24. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    OH I want one. OH.
    This is my OH face.

25. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Gonna be a bunch of used Tubi's for sale as soon as the sound clips are posted! :)